Most Dangerous Position on a Bomber....?

Whats the most dangerous position on an Allied Bomber during WW2?

• Nose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cockpit

• Top Turret Gunner

• Radio Operator

• Waist Gunner(s)

• Ball Turret Gunner

• Tail Gunner

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
as I side note before Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

the Me 410 was classified as a bomber detsroyer not a night fighter. The nf useage was pure experimental as it never flew ops in this role with any NJG unit. Now it did fly in the intruder role over England with bomber units, KG 51 and 54 I believe.

the a/c was quite successful as a bomber destroyer with ZG 26 and 76 during 1944 before it was pulled and replaced by the Fw 190A-8 in most cases.

time for a snooze

Erich must have one hell of a memory to remember all those figures. Theres always the possibility he looks on the net/in a book though. Do you actually remember them figures Erich?

Guys Lanc is correct. researching since 1963..........

seems like an eternity ! Read way too many books and interviewed many, many veterans.

E `

Hello all! The SB2C Helldiver did do a good job with the roll. Yes, it might not have been as productive as the avanger. But by the -2 and -3 runs the Helldiver got squared away. The arguments that it was a fighter, are good. It could fly with fighters after the bomb runs and straff as neded. But do not say that it was just bad, or did not live up to its billing. Why not talk a little about divebombers? We hare talking about positions in bombers yes?

As for the Me-410 it is what the me-210 should have been.

I reckon being the tail gunner in a dive bomber must have been pretty daunting during dives, what with the fact you would not be able to see what was going on up front.

I've read an excellent article by a gunner on a Helldiver. He said during the dive he was floating out of his seat the entire time. Other odities/unpleasantries would include being unable to hear anything (other than rushing air), the bombing of the ears (10,000+ ft change in an unpresurised cockpit), and being the first to see the bomb (since the plane would accelerate away from it).

He said the scariest thing was not knowing if you were going to pull-out. If the pilot was hit on the way down the gunner would never know and they would both go straight in. So he always sang the USMC theme on the way down, just in case they didn't pull out.

but atleast if you didn't know if you were gonna die you wouldn't see it coming, the pilot would know he's about to die and that would be awfull..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread