Most Dangerous Position on a Bomber....?

Whats the most dangerous position on an Allied Bomber during WW2?

• Nose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cockpit

• Top Turret Gunner

• Radio Operator

• Waist Gunner(s)

• Ball Turret Gunner

• Tail Gunner

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aint just talking about the B-17 here...at night, German Nachtjagers came up behind the bomber for an attack as a head on attack at night is pretty dumb, youve also gotta remember the Schrage Musik gun set up used by German nf's...

According to the post war analysis done by the USAAF, the ball turret was one of the safer positions to be in. According to the records of the 303rd BG, here is the order of safest to least safe, based on % of men killed in that position:

Position % KIA
Pilot-Copilot 14.20
Radio 12.97
Engineer 12.37
Bombardier 12.06
Navigator 12.06
Tail Gunner 12.06
Ball Turret 11.76
Waist Gun 10.23

Thanks for that table Evan. I remembered reading somewhere before that the most dangerous position was the pilots position, its really hard to get people to believe that it wasnt the ball turret!

true,.. and so it was in many other aircraft..
ow, and the tail was shurely the loneliest postition to be.

Statistically for the Americans, they were the highest rate. It would depend on the situation for straight and level flight. If the aircraft could, you could set the autopilot to hold it straight and level, but sometimes not.

Even, that info is just for the 303rd yes? When we look at it what type of missions and what aircraft were they flying? I am sirprised that the tail was not more. I have seen a lot of pictures of German attacks on B-24s at the tail. ;)

Even, that is interesting. I wounder why they had the heigh rate?
I could think that rounds fired at the tail or beam, could travel through the aircrft and stop at the pilots. That is a thought, but I would like to hear from the rest of you ;)

I can only speculate why, but I would think in a front on attack, a fighter pilot would be prone to aim at the cockpit. Once you have killed the pilot and co-pilot, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back