I am sympathetic to this view and I understand it. However, I "think" that the following example regarding the Spitfire, might partly help explain. This is a letter written
by the head of Rolls Royce (Ernest Hives) on 17th Nov 1942 to Freeman. (so a year before what we were talking about above happened). (see my book pg 247).
It might "look" very odd why planes like the 47 were obviously being de-prioritised slighty before the actual operational results proved it`s worth, but, keep in mind
that planes (eg the Mustang in this case) had been evaluated and tested for a very long time before they entered the European theature in operational service.
The point I`m making is, that the planners etc, had formed their view that it was VERY highly probable that it would prove the best option long before it started
proving it in combat. So they would have already started shifting priority to the 51, way in advance. Otherwise, if operational stats came in proving that it WAS
indeed working as expected, there would have been a disastrously long time-lag before whatever new aircraft it was (in this case the 51) could be employed
in full. I think in war you had to make "educated bets" like that all the time, I dont think you could always wait until you had stats to match expectations with
operational performance before you put your chips on the table.
Here, for example, you can see the British are already reckoning in 1942 that the Spitfire (unless something really drastic changed) would be totally outclassed
by the two-stage Mustang when it came into full use. I think this is far more likely the explanation for the 47 being edged out even before the 51 had
fully started service, much more likely than a certain series of YouTube videos on a conspiracy to pull the rug out from the 47 by cloak and dagger.
One popular YouTube creator cites the lack of drop tank development, but the fact is (see my last post) that the 47 consumes about double the fuel
per hour of operations that a Mustang does, its not difficult to understand why it was much more difficult to equip such an aircraft with
a realiable system of long-range tanks - I dont think they had the resources to create a long range P47 and P51 airfleet, and had to
make a "bet" in 1942/43 about where to put their money, and the P-51 got the backing. I dont view that as a conspiracy, but just
pragmatism in wartime planning. Anyway, thats my view on it essentially. P-47 a great plane, but I also dont think that the P-51
suceeded without merit, I think it was just a little bit better at what was needed, and thats about it.
View attachment 632405