Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh man, I would love to go to Oshkosh someday, especially with you guys. But I don't think I could pull this off at the moment with two upgrowing kids at home.

That was so you could get in the tail turret.

Actually, it was so the toilet lid had something to rest on! That's the tailplane spar.

SCN_0256

Crawling over the spar (as Pbehn said) to get to the rear turret. Excuse the blurry photo, taken with a film camera many years ago.

SCN_0258

There's not much room in a Lancaster, it'd be a rough cramped ride in a Lancastrian as a passenger, let alone as bomber crew. These raised frames are the fwd and aft main spars and had to be climbed over to get to the cockpit.

SCN_0264

Taken from the navigator's position, with the mannequin standing in front of the flight engineer's panel. Pilot's headrest armour plate visible.

SCN_0270

Know what you mean but the B-24, B-17 and B-29 are just as graceful when in the air imho. As I said I'm just judging on aesthetics, and there those other bombers win by a long shot.

Yeah, the B-17 is a beaut in flight.

B-17 smoky pass

But the B-24? Hmmm, like someone once said, it was the box the B-17 came in!

As mentioned, not seen a B-29 in flight, but even on the ground it is a beautiful bird.

Last time I made it to Oshkosh (and I even live IN Wisconsin) I did get to catch the Boeing 307. Now that is the ultimate in elegant aircraft. But I love the shark fin B-17s too.

For purposes of this thread, thought, I nominate the BV-141:

Yeah, the B-17 is a beaut in flight.

View attachment 532957B-17 smoky pass

But the B-24? Hmmm, like someone once said, it was the box the B-17 came in!

As mentioned, not seen a B-29 in flight, but even on the ground it is a beautiful bird.

Imho the B-24 has a futuristic appeal to it. The slender Davis wing gives it a grace in contrast to its hull which looks cool somehow. The twin tail shape is unmistakable.
The PB4Y-2 Privateer with its longer fuselage and turrets shapes looks especially badass though I don't quite like the single tail.
Main thing is they are not as angular as the Lanc, together with them lacking all the ugly features I mentioned before.
The eye of the beholder...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread