MOST UNDERRATED AIRCRAFT OF WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll say the Hally

Attachments

• album_pic_1__116.jpg
    album_pic_1__116.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 517
HealzDevo said:
I think that the Seafire was underrated, it had a lot of potential but it ended up being passed over. The first Seafires were built during WW2 but failed to pass fully active service, and were scrapped when the Navy got jets. It had potential but just came at the wrong time.

Did you mean the SeaFury?

seafury.jpg

Navalized Spitfires (Seafires) were used extensively by the FAA.

seafire_crash.jpg

A GREAT STORY ABOUT THE LIZZIE!:

As a result, the two Lysanders were thrown into the early part of the Palestine War. One of these, or perhaps the third surviving Lysander, was soon involved in an extraordinary aerial combat with an Israeli Avia C210 (Czech-built Messerschmitt Bf 109) on June 9, 1948. Air Commodore Muhammad Abd al-Munaim Miqaati, one of Egypt's first three military pilots, and now Deputy Director General of the REAF, was due to fly from al-Arish to Cairo-Almaza, but had been expecting trouble. This would, in fact, be fhte first day of the so-called Ten Day War, which followed the collapse of the first UN Truce. As Miqaati recalled: 'It was Condition Red. I had been advised to keep the radio on, but I was still nervous as I set across the Mediterranean. Fortunately my gunner – I don't remember his name – was a keen-sighted man and he spotted an Israeli Messerschmitt as it maneuvered into position to attack. Of course, my Lysander was a very old kind of airplane, but I'd flown these for a long time. Still, we were at a big disadvantage and you'd expect such a contest could only end one way… The pilot of the Israeli aircraft came up behind us. I told my gunner to fire just as the Messerschmitt came into range and I went down to about 100 feet. Then the gunner fired and I throttled right back. You know the Lysander can drop like a stone to land in a field, like they did when the RAF took spies in and out of France. The Israeli must have been concentrating on keeping me in his sights because he dropped his nose to follow. He overshot and went right in, almost level with me. I honestly felt sick in my stomach and, I don't know why, I saluted him. Then we flew straight back to Cairo.'

What about the great PBY Catalina? No-ones mentioned it yet and I reckon it did a stirling job during the war. It did everything from rescuing downed pilots, recon, sub hunting and even used to bomb and lay sea mines in enemy held harbours!Probably did a whole lot more too.

Attachments

• catalina_185.jpg
    catalina_185.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 424
A classic seaplane! :cool:
Oh, imagine the lake hopping you could do in one of those.
Like that video someone posted of the old men fishing in their boat. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back