MOST UNDERRATED AIRCRAFT OF WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm going with my beloved Stringbag out dated, out classed but punching way beyond it's weight. Laughed at by opponents until they did their thing. Amazing.

The Sea Mosquito, guys !!!

I agree the Buffalo was under-rated....What was really under-rated was the British High Command's attitude to the Japan Forces, particuarly the aircraft, which if they'd noticed, was creating mayhem in China and Russia prior to the Singapore debacle.....Outnumbered 16 to 1 by seasoned Japanese pilots, RAF, RAAF AND RNZAF pilots did the best they could with the Buffalo....One of our chaps, Geoff Fisken DFC, scored 3 Zeros in the conflict, so they had teeth and tactics despite the odds.....

I agree the Lysander's and Typhoon's service wasn't recognised as it should have been.......

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._584.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._584.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 535
Gemhorse said:
The Sea Mosquito, guys !!!

I agree the Buffalo was under-rated....What was really under-rated was the British High Command's attitude to the Japan Forces, particuarly the aircraft, which if they'd noticed, was creating mayhem in China and Russia prior to the Singapore debacle.....Outnumbered 16 to 1 by seasoned Japanese pilots, RAF, RAAF AND RNZAF pilots did the best they could with the Buffalo....One of our chaps, Geoff Fisken DFC, scored 3 Zeros in the conflict, so they had teeth and tactics despite the odds.....

I agree the Lysander's and Typhoon's service wasn't recognised as it should have been.......

If anyone's interested there's a great book called "Buffaloes over Singapore" by Brian Cull et al. It details the heroic stand the RAF RAAF RNZAF and the Dutch pilots put up against overwhelming odds against the Japanese at Singapore. One of my favourite books, if you can get your hands on a copy you won't be disappointed!

I think that the Seafire was underrated, it had a lot of potential but it ended up being passed over. The first Seafires were built during WW2 but failed to pass fully active service, and were scrapped when the Navy got jets. It had potential but just came at the wrong time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back