Mother nature winner and loser (snake vs toad ) be warned

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
It never ceases to amaze how many times I have stumbled across mother nature at work in and around my house. Here are some pics of yet another example of how for one creature to survive, another must die. My dog was just as interested in this event as I was. It took over an hour and a half for the toad to be totally swallowed up by this garter snake.

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

These are totally harmles,Wojtek.
It's a big snake for a gartersnake. Must be an old female. I wonder how the snake could catch the frog. Gartersnakes hardly have any teeth. The frog must have been half dead or very stupid.

These are totally harmles,Wojtek.
It's a big snake for a gartersnake. Must be an old female. I wonder how the snake could catch the frog. Gartersnakes hardly have any teeth. The frog must have been half dead or very stupid.

Actually we see them here in the marsh eating fish and frogs all the time. They are very fast, and the jaws are still very strong.

I actually feed mine live fish from time to time (as a treat), and he loves it.

We have three varieties of garter snakes here, along with the Prairie Rattler and the Bull Snake. The Bull Snake eats rodents and other snakes, including the Rattler.
Any Bulls I've picked up were quite docile.

We have three varieties of garter snakes here, along with the Prairie Rattler and the Bull Snake. The Bull Snake eats rodents and other snakes, including the Rattler.
Any Bulls I've picked up were quite docile.

My wife has a 6ft Bull Snake at her work. It is very very docile. Lets you pick him up anytime and loves to be held. She uses it as a program animal for school classes.

A few years back, we were on a path down by the lake one summer morning. As we came around a corner on the narrow path, there was a pretty good sized rattler (about 36 inches/ roughly 1 meter) sunning himself. Both we and the snake were startled, the snake immediately coiling up and we stood completely still.

While weighing my options, a California King snake came out of the brush and attacked the rattler in a brutal example of nature at work. We kept standing totally still, not because of any danger, but because it was a sight you just never see in the wild (and of course, one of many times I didn't have my camera with me)...

It would be better to meet a kangaroo than a rattlesnake methinks.

Much better my friend, though get the roo riled, could be curtains for there is no way you could outrun the fellow. But on the whole they are very docile and just stand and watch you or bound off if unsure.

That garter snake however would not be wanting to eat one of our cane toads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back