Moving fowards

Discussion in 'Basic' started by jackster, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jackster

jackster New Member

I made my first post a little while back and have spent a ton of time reading thread after thread . I also picked up 2 fine scale modeler magazines and they have also been helpful .
    I am waiting for a delivery today from Hobbby linc . I picked up 5 more kits and more importantly a ton of paint and supplies . I am very anxious to try out 2 basic airbrush kits I purchased I took the advice of some others on here and will try out these propellant based systems before spending decent money on a real setup with a compressor . Seemed like the badger airbrushes are well liked here and a dual action seemed to be the consensus .

Now I need to figure out how to post pictures on here so I can get soe real critiques/tips on my builds . I am so looking foward to doing the German style molting cammo patterns Just with the info I've picked up from this site and I feel my builds are already improving greatly . Thanks to all of you who contirbute tips and advice .

As a guy who hadn't built a model in 32 years this site has been a godsend . Hopefully I will get some pics of my builds on here in the very near future .

Keep up the good work !

2. herman1rg

herman1rg Well-Known Member

Go for it and enjoy.

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Look forward to seeing some pics of your work, and don't be afraid to ask if you need help or advice.

4. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    Very cool, and welcome to the "I hadn't built a model in 20+years" club!

5. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    This place is great ain't it?:)

6. Gnomey

Gnomey World Travelling Doctor
    Staff Member Moderator

Doctor
    Home Page:
    Looking forward to seeing your work. Glad you like the place.

7. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Don't hide in the woodwork. Welcome.

8. jackster

jackster New Member

Hey guys things have already changed since my last post. I did some basic airbrushing with the propellant setup and showed my wife the difference (what a big difference ) and she agreed to buy me a real airbrush setup and compressor for Christmas .

So any advice would be appreciated . Form what I have read I know I should get a dual action . I've read many positive reviews on the Badger airbrushes . AS a novice I want something I can use now but will also be able to grow into as I get more expeirence . I really have no idea about compressors . I am a trim carpenter and have plenty of expeirence with big compressors and I have 3 . I sure could use some guidance on which airbrush /compressor setup would be a good fit for me . I'll basically be building 1:48 to 1:32 scale WW2 airplanes and maybe a tank or 2 .

I read a quote in the Fine Scale Moldeler magazine where the author said " When I 1st got an airbrush my models stopped looking like plastic toys and started looking like real replicas ". I know see exactly what he meant by that .

I like the fact this cheap setup allowed me to screw model master 1/2 ounce bottles right on to it but I imagine you could buy an attachement to allow any system to do this in addition to the paint holder it comes with . Any advice would be appreciated .

9. Aaron Brooks Wolters

Aaron Brooks Wolters Well-Known Member

Auto Restoration
    Jackster, I use a Iwata compressor and airbrush. The compressor is a Studio Series and the airbrush is the Eclipse. If you have a Hobby Lobby near by the newspaper usually has a 40% off coupon in it or you can go online and print a coupon off. One catch, one coupon per day per customer per item. The compressor was $199.95 and the brush was $189.85 so the coupon really helps. I really like what I have and am able to do rather decent with it. Hope this helps. Oh and they keep plenty of repair parts in stock as well.

10. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard mate!

11. jackster

jackster New Member

Thanks Aaron . I have a Hobby Lobby in driving distance but I have not been in one . Do they have a decent selection of airbrushes and compressors in the store , or like many places do you have to order it online ? I have seen the coupons and that is a big savings . I would like to actually see and handel this purchase and not order it online . I wll research your setup . Thanks . That is what I need , a starting point as there are SO many choices and I have so little knowledge .

12. jackster

jackster New Member

I have 1 more question . I'm looking at the iwata ninja jet compressor . Any thoughts on that one ? I also see the blue testors unit for a cheap price but the plastic shell makes it look cheaply made to me . So I'm leaning towards the ninja and wondered if anyone had on opinion or review for me .
    Thanks

13. Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks Active Member

professionally retired
    High Wycombe, England (home of the Mosquito)
    I would always recommend that you visit a store which sells brushes and compressors, if at all possible, since most will allow you to handle some, and judge which feels most comfortable. I have fairly large hands, and find that a Paasche VL sits quite well; several friends use Badger brushes, but they always feel too light, almost fragile (even though I know that they're not.)
    Compressors can be a bit of a nightmare to choose, but noise can be a prime consideration, with a family anywhere nearby. Some have a single cylinder, with direct connection into the brush; while cheaper, the noise can be a big turn-off, and you will have to have a long hose, to smooth out the airflow, and there's also the possibility of water in the hose.
    More expensive types, with a storage tank and water filter, can have a motor similar to a fridge motor, which will emit just a faint hum, and may also have an automatic cut-out, when the tank reaches its set (by you, preferably) pressure, which saves wear on the motor, and on the electricity bill, as well. The minimum you'll need is a supply of half a cubic foot per minute; anything smaller, and a decent airbrush might use more than your supply, and that can cause all sorts of pulsing problems with your paint flow.

14. jackster

jackster New Member

Well I made the move . I bought the Iwata studio series ninja jet compressor . It's nice and small . For the airbrush I bought the Paasche VL double action model. Got them at Hobby Lobby and used the 40% off coupons on both pieces . Had to go inot the store 2 times but it certainly was worth the savings .
    I'll do a bunch of reading tonight and give it a whirl tommorrow . I give a review after I put this setup through some paces . It may help a newbie like me as I really have almost no expeirence with an airbrush .

Thanks to all of you who responded esp Aaron with the hobby lobby coupon tip .

15. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Good buy Jack. You'll be happy with. I have a Paasche VL but split the #3 nozzle so need to get a new one before I can use that one again. Using my Iwata HP-C now.

16. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Nice. Now post some pics of your results!