MTO P-38 schemes needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Have a hasegawa P-38 that I've started but only done very little ( next to nothing)

Sat about for a year or so ( proberly more)

Got about 4 complete sets of decals for it, will have to confirm but I'm 80% sure they're all PTO or ETO schemes

Anyone got some simple schemes for a bird that I could do to include it in this GB?

Haven't found much on the net thus far

Help! thanks in advance guys

Just for starters....I bet that some of the lads have better ones. :D

Attachments

• P-38.jpg
    P-38.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 352
  • P-38F.png
    P-38F.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 311
  • P-38G.jpg
    P-38G.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 358
Daniel, I had the same idea with my P-40, seeing I have to make my own decals, I thought I might as well sit it out, but with the resources here, and being careful etc. you can do anything! I know I'm younger but, just my thoughts!! Stay with it Dan!

The last one is a P-40 in Italy 1944

Attachments

• aj_p-38v1d.jpg
    aj_p-38v1d.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,141
Any idea on why they were removed after a month Terry? sounds interesting

Now, see......that's just crazy talk....:shock:

You can get the decals for that bird with Sky Models and their 48048 sheet.....

Review....
Sky Models 1/48 P-38 Lightning Part 1

Thanks! :oops: should have mentioned it was 1/72 , nevermind - if its only 9 bucks for a 1/48 sheet then a 72 scale sheet must be eve cheaper

Daniel, I had the same idea with my P-40, seeing I have to make my own decals, I thought I might as well sit it out, but with the resources here, and being careful etc. you can do anything! I know I'm younger but, just my thoughts!! Stay with it Dan!

The last one is a P-40 in Italy 1944

Cheers man - will try my luck today at finding a decal sheet

Daniel, the bars to the star on the disc were originally added to make the US marking more visible, as it tended to blur at a distance, looking like a rectangle. The outline to the bars and the circle was originally red, so as to include the three colours of the American flag, and this was implemented following a directive ordering the change to be effective from June 28th 1943, to be completed no later than September 1st 1943.
However, there were concerns arising from the use of red in the PTO, where it was felt that this could be confused, in the heat of combat, with the Japanese markings. Therefore, even before the red outliine directive had been fully implemented, a counter order was issued to remove and or paint over the red, using the blue of the disc, the order being dated 14th August 1943.
This explains why some surrounds to the stars and bar often look darker, especially in black and white pics, as the blue outline, being 'fresh' paint, appeared darker than the (probably) faded blue of the original markings.
So, the red outline was only used for a very short period of time, sometimes literally only days, depending when a unit got around to painting the red in the first place!

Thanks for the help guys

Didn't find much in the way of decals for a MTO bird

Just gonna do a PTO/ETO bird - will post some shots in a week or 2 when its finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back