Mustang III 1/72 scale by Hasegawa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings, gents:

Here is my first build for 2013. It is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Mustang Mk III in RAAF livery from No. 3 Squadron. I used resin side wall interior detail from a Cooper Details set, along with Eduard seat belts. The machine gun ports and shell ejector chutes are drilled out, and the kit canopy is razor sawed to be posed open. Hope you like it.
stang 12.JPG
stang 10.JPG
stang 9.JPG
stang 8.JPG
stang 7.JPG
stang 6.JPG
stang 5.JPG
stang 4.JPG
stang 3.JPG
stang 2.JPG
stang 1.JPG
stang 11.JPG

Nicely done. Just one point regarding the canopy - the 'Malcolm' hood did not have vertical frames. The Perspex had a 'rolled' edge, providing thicker vertical edges, with only the lower frame and runner fitted.

Just one question, are you sure about the colour for the wheel wells? I'm not particularly informed on RAF Mustangs but for the Americans this would be in yellow green I suppose.
Cheers

Thank-you for the kind words, gentlemen. I may be wrong, but I believe the main wheel wells of the Mustang were in natural metal, with green chromate main spar. You can't see it well in the pictures I took, but that is how I painted it. Also, the letter codes I used are fictitious.... a mix of the kit decals. I built the bird the way it is because I was captured by the blue rudder with the Southern Cross on it.:D

Regarding the wheel wells - they are correct. Only the rear wall, which was the main spar, was finished in zinc chromate. The remainder had a clear lacquer coating over the bare metal.
Just noted that code combination too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back