My attempt at ACW cooking

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vassili Zaitzev

Master Sergeant
Nov 25, 2005
Connecticut, United States
Made this today. It's hardtack,a staple food for Federal soldiers. Since one of my classes deals with the Civil War, I find it appropriate. It's actually not bad, though I cheated and ate some when it was fresh out of the oven, not sitting in a crate for months on end.
Hardtack. Nov 3, 2013.jpg

My wife and daughter did something like that for a history project when my daughter was in, iirc, 5th grade and they did a unit on the ACW. They also brought in some reenactors to talk about being in the Army.

As an aside, did you see the news about the recent upwards revision in ACW casualties? The number of deaths has been revised from the long-accepted 600,000 to about 720,000, mostly because the Confederate casualties were estimated from US ratios, which was overly conservative in estimating Confederate casualties.

My wife and daughter did something like that for a history project when my daughter was in, iirc, 5th grade and they did a unit on the ACW. They also brought in some reenactors to talk about being in the Army.

As an aside, did you see the news about the recent upwards revision in ACW casualties? The number of deaths has been revised from the long-accepted 600,000 to about 720,000, mostly because the Confederate casualties were estimated from US ratios, which was overly conservative in estimating Confederate casualties.

I've seen that as well. Most Confederate records did not survive the war, so I can see how recorded casualties could be lower than the actual number.

Here in Aus it's ANZAC biscuits. Which are pretty good I think.
I'll find a recipe.

Like I said, they were fine when fresh. Problem is, Federal troops usually got them when they've been sitting in a crate for months. Hell, some hardtack dated back to the Mexican-American War, a full decade prior! Soldiers would either soak hardtack with grease from their salt pork, or soak them in their coffee. I have a recipe for the Confederate equivalent, Johnny Cakes, and I'll make them if I have time this weekend.

Pretty cool. I bet the class is interesting as well.
It is Adler, just a lot of work. I went in expecting it to be tougher than what I'm used too, but it's involved a lot of research. Consider it a crash course into the History Program. Right now, I'm reading 'Confederates in the Attic' while reading through old Hartford Courant articles for my final project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back