The Minnesota 1st Regiment at Gettysburg.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All the Union general staff had to do was to tell the corps commanders to begin their attacks at a unified time.

And Renrich, one thing I noticed while touring the battlefield, was how compact and narrow the front was. Messages could be passed from corps commander to corps commander with ease.

I agree Sys. When I was at Bull Run it was amazing how you could fairly see the whole field. Lee certainly took advantage of horse recon with Stuart and others. Why the North couldn't do so....?

I am in no way qualified to discuss the Civil War...I know a few battles and characters. But would a recon or communications have made a difference at Fredricksburg and the Maryeville Heights? I thought that was just old time Spartan war-gaming - along the lines of Pickett's Charge. Adaptablity to new and changing tactics was sorely lacking, and IMHO McClellan was stuck in it.

Even by the standards of that day, there is no excuse for corps commanders adjacent to each other to not coordinate assault times.

If the Union right at the cornfield and union center at the "sunken lane" had attacked simultaneously, one of the two union lines would have broken through, with devestating results for Lee.

And that would have enabled Burnside on the left to cross Antietam Creek with impunity.

Sys, I envy you your actual visit to the battlefield. I have got to go and visit so I can gain your personal perspective. I have the "West Point Atlas of American Wars" and it shows on a straight line the distance from the Burnside Bridge to the North Woods is about 3 miles. The Confederate line there overlapped about one half mile and the Confederate line overlapped at the Burnside Bridge about one mile, so Lee's lines in aggregate were about four and one half miles. The Gettysburg front was about 8000 yards for the Confederates. The Union fighting on interior lines was much shorter. In the atlas, after the Union gained control of Bloody Lane, the narrative states, " The last Confederate regiment north of Sharpsburg had been committed. Lee's artillery, though still fighting back gamely, had been overwhelmed by the mass of expertly handled Federal guns. Sharpsburg was filled with demoralized soldiers; famous commands, like Hood's Texans, were completely shattered; most of the left and center was held only by devoted handfuls, hanging on by sheer courage. One more vigorous Federal attack and the Army of Northern Virginia would face destruction." IX corps under Burnside did not attack until about 3 PM and had gained the outskirts of Sharpsburg by 4 PM where Hill's light division crashed into their flank, drove them back toward the creek and the battle was over. I bought the two volumes of the the atlas many years ago. One day, talking to retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore who co wrote the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" and who the movie was about, I mentioned I had those books and he told me they were text books at the Point when he attended. If you have a chance to buy them, I think they are invaluable.

Went to Gettysburg about 10 years ago. That and Antietam are only 3-4 hours away. Want to get back down there but time just doesn't come around often.

However, on PA State Cable, every July 4th, they have a series of hour long walking tours (maybe 20 altogether) done by Park Rangers at Gettysburg covering the first day through the 3rd. It is very cool. No commercials, very little editing, the Rangers just stand there and tell what happened at each site. Saw a really good one on the first day and the Iron Brigade last year. Really great show.

Its so close to us, Tim, and I haven't gone - want to so badly! Been to all the revolution sites by the Civil War ones I've missed. My brother lives outside Front Royal and thats how I've been to those places.

Wasn't Antietam the single bloodiest day in US history?

Yes, The battle of Antietam(Sharpsburg) was the bloodiest single day in American history. According to "West Point Atlas of American Wars," Lee had 39000 troops, McClellan had 70000. Total Confederate casualties were about 13700, Union, 12350. More than 6000 total KIAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back