My New IL2 Video Research Thread...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chocks, I dont fly online, so the answer is trial and error.....

Major Marshalls second kill of the day was on the deck, poppin caps into this German from 300 yds to 50... As Bert overshot, the 109 crashed into a field...

Ive set up a mini-mission where I come in from 1500 feet to the 109 at 100 feet and start poppin him, tryin to get him to crash land...

It took me 30 tries before it happened... Its very frustrating and will be a bitch to get this video right.... I still cant get the first kill, diving from 25k feet to 11k.... It seems impossible...

Bill, thanks alot for lookin for Johnsons pic... Dont know if it'll be usable or not, but we'll see.....

Chocks, I dont fly online, so the answer is trial and error.....

Major Marshalls second kill of the day was on the deck, poppin caps into this German from 300 yds to 50... As Bert overshot, the 109 crashed into a field...

Ive set up a mini-mission where I come in from 1500 feet to the 109 at 100 feet and start poppin him, tryin to get him to crash land...

It took me 30 tries before it happened... Its very frustrating and will be a bitch to get this video right.... I still cant get the first kill, diving from 25k feet to 11k.... It seems impossible...

Bill, thanks alot for lookin for Johnsons pic... Dont know if it'll be usable or not, but we'll see.....

Except for a short forehead it seems usable if viewed as if from dad's position of high and in front.

I think I can do something with Johnson's photo :)

* Ok guys, we'll have Johnson onboard...

Here's a very very rough first-draft. This was more exploratory than anything, to see if it would work. As you can see, I was able to modify his photo enough to level his profile and then worked a little magic to give him a right side to his face. And of course, I'll clean it up and improve the image details during the process...but I thought everyone would like to see a screenshot of the test results!

It'll even be in color when I'm done! :)

Attachments

• Johnson_test.jpg
    Johnson_test.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 55
Damn they looks tits Dave, really really good.... Im now officially chompin at the bit to get the line up and takeoff sequences rollin....

Still hung up on the song tho.... The other night while layin in bed thinking, the song Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd popped in my head.... Uploaded it to the comp and it may work out better than the Metallica tune....

For Whom The Bell Tolls Live with the Symphony still kicks ass, but the beginning, with the crowd yelling and hollering is giving me fits, even when opening the video with sirens blaring....

Run Like Hell would solve it, but its a different twist beat-wise.... I keep on thinking that Bill might send this along to some guys he knows, older gents, maybe even some Vets, and I dont want to offend them, and the Metallica might be offensive to their 80 year old ears.... I dunno, Im kinda lost....

Heres the tune if u dont know it....

Attachments

• 09 Run Like Hell.wma
    5.1 MB · Views: 36
Dan - I'm down at Davis Monthan for the Heritage demo and training. Most of the A-10 355th jocks are younger than you.

They will love it.

BTW it is really boring to see F-22 swap ends, then climb and 'hover' straight up then swing like a bell - see the F-15s get a little more airspeed on takeoff roll and then kick it in AB and climb straight up till its out of sight doing an 8 point,, or see one of the remaining A-1 in formation with 51, F-22 and A-10 (or F-16 or F-4 or P-40 or F-86).

This has been an awesome experience. These airmen (and airwomen) are sharp as razors.

Great job Dave

I would assume all of those Warthog jocks are younger than me, wouldnt wanna see a 42 year old try and pull some of those G's....

I hope ur getting some pics or video clips Bill, would LOVE to see some of that sh!t.....

What u think of the Floyd song Bill??? Better than the Metallica???

Damn they looks tits Dave, really really good.... Im now officially chompin at the bit to get the line up and takeoff sequences rollin....
Thanks! Now that I have stuff sorted out here (had to fix my Beemer's clutch yesterday, even) I'm getting back on track. I did rethink the chipping, and came up with a solution. I think it looks pretty decent.

Great job Dave
Thanks Bill!

Still hung up on the song tho....
That's a tough call...I like the idea of Run Like Hell...But for the Metallica (For Whom the Bell Tolls) song, is there any way you can edit the lead-in from the album version onto the symphony version, and eliminate the crowd in the background? (with something like SoundForge or similiar audio editor)

is there any way you can edit the lead-in from the album version onto the symphony version, and eliminate the crowd in the background? (with something like SoundForge or similiar audio editor)
I dont think so Dave, the sounds are completely different, and I dont know squat about editing music.... Kinda just stuck with what I got.... Once I start getting some clips cut up, I'll be able to make a determination as to where I wanna go with it...

I still like the original Bell Tolls tho...

I'm doing Bert's now...but I'll shoot these four off to you ahead of his.

I'm putting extra detail into Jane (for obvious reseons!) :)

* Hey! Almost forgot...

Regarding the B24s, I went to B24.net and looked up the missions for 11Sept44, and found only one...mission #166 - Hannover.

They have a roster of ships for the mission, and there's a crew loading list that covers the ships from the 578th.

How many/which of these did you want?

Here's the schedule report: 11 September 1944 -- Mission #166 -- Target: Hannover

I think we can get along with just 4 different B-24's Dave.. They'll be in the "spotlight" briefly during the rendevouz and then when the 109's attack....

I'll be flying one of them for some first person action and close up assault as the 1099's dive through guns firing....

Ill just re-use them for the other 20.....

Sounds good on the skins man... Do u think u can work the pilot skins up first Dave??? That way I can start the beginning of the video and get some "film" rollin from Steeple Morden........

Ive been workin the opening credits, somewhat satisfied with what I have, but not quite there yet....

Got em Dave, dyin to get em in the game and on the runway.... Dinners almost ready tho....

I am wondering if I can get all or some of em in the same area after landing, and then get Berts crate to start up from there, similar to ur screenshots up above....

Hmmmm.....

Would sure look better than the typical start ups I do in the vids, just sittin on the runway....

I would assume all of those Warthog jocks are younger than me, wouldnt wanna see a 42 year old try and pull some of those G's....

I hope ur getting some pics or video clips Bill, would LOVE to see some of that sh!t.....

What u think of the Floyd song Bill??? Better than the Metallica???

I like both - will listen again.

Wing King is 43 and doing fine.. they are heading for places 'south' of prior assignment shortly to an area I am sure you are familiar with.

Got pics - will send when we get all 2000 edited - or send some of mine when I get home. I don't have an umbilical to download..

I'm doing Bert's now...but I'll shoot these four off to you ahead of his.

I'm putting extra detail into Jane (for obvious reseons!) :)

* Hey! Almost forgot...

Regarding the B24s, I went to B24.net and looked up the missions for 11Sept44, and found only one...mission #166 - Hannover.

They have a roster of ships for the mission, and there's a crew loading list that covers the ships from the 578th.

How many/which of these did you want?

Here's the schedule report: 11 September 1944 -- Mission #166 -- Target: Hannover

Q bar seems to be the one that fits dad's recollection of the strat and place of the encounter for Red/Blue flights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back