My New Ride

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why does the "Village People" come to mind with Lucky's statement...

Y..M..C..A.........:D ....

Is Mama for this new Hells Angels ride CC...?..

Haztoys: I do like the Villiage People, I have their album. I prefer
"In The Navy".

You have to stop and think for a minute, I am 74 and the wife is 73.
I know I'm crazy, but she hasn't lost her mind yet. She will probably
never get on it. FWIW, she told me she never learned to ride a two
wheeled bike, and never owned one.

Charles

Hallo Charles,

For me your sooter looks graet.Drive safe Dear Friend and enjoy the ride.But I must ask you for one thing.Won't give young girls a lift, please.:lol:

Matt: Just for you the below three pic's are of the helmet. Front, side and back views. I purchased the helmet from RK Chevrolet, which is where I bought the scooter. I was in there with my Hall Mazda shirt on, so they sold
me the helmet as if Hall was going to re-sell it. The helmet retails for $115.97 andf I got it for $83.99 (no tax). I put ten miles on it today !

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_0419.JPG
    DSC_0419.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0420.JPG
    DSC_0420.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0421.JPG
    DSC_0421.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 97
Charles, look what was in my local paper today!

Riding past the sky high price of gas- NJ.com

Riding past the sky high price of gas
Monday, June 16, 2008
By Lucas K. Murray
[email protected]
For more than half a century the motorized scooter has been a preferred mode of transportation for men and women from Beijing to Barcelona.

Though helmeted riders jockey with traffic on the streets of crowded European cities with regularity, scootering has yet to get rolling here the way it has abroad. Now, whether it be for recreational, social or economic reasons, more and more Americans and more of your South Jersey neighbors are getting around on two wheels.

Take Dr. David Carrozzino for example.

The podiatrist said he regularly makes the trip from his Mantua home to his office in Woodbury on his Italian-made Vespa scooter and has done so for a decade.

"Ever since I was in Italy ten years ago, I knew I just had to have one," Carrozzino said.

He just upgraded from his 50cc scooter to Vespa's top of the line Granturismo 200. The bike can keep up with most small cars with its 80 mph top speed. Carrozzino said his not-so-secret pleasure is to take a relaxing drive through the some of the more scenic parts of Gloucester County when he's not making house calls.

"I'll make a left turn onto Route 45 and head out to the farms and just cruise," the doctor said.

He'll make his way down the shore on the weekends or cross the bridge into Philadelphia for a cheesesteak. In the City of Brotherly Love, scooters can be found far easier than in South Jersey. The same goes for organizations and clubs where owners can share their love of riding. New York City and Washington, D.C. have long-established groups. Philadelphia has its share with several dozen riders, but the scene only continues to grow as sales skyrocket.

Back on the Jersey side, Steve Przybycin, manager of Admiral Vespa in Mays Landing said in the past three weeks he has moved about 30 scooters. That's a 200 percent increase compared to this time last year for the year-old dealership. Rewind to twelve months ago andgas prices were also about a dollar cheaper. It's that dollar difference that Przybycin thinks has so many motorists augmenting their travel with smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.

"Look at your guys in the large SUVs and ask them how much it costs to fill their tanks up," Przybycin said. "It commonly exceeds $100 for them. You can take that $100 and knock a zero off it to fill the tank of your scooter."

Most scooters are equipped with gas tanks with a capacity of two to three gallons. Many of the scooters Przybycin sells get between 70 to 80 miles per gallon and cost as much as $6,000. Compare that to a 2008 Toyota Prius with a combined city and highway mileage of 45 and a $22,000 price tag and many people are opting for two-wheeled transport.

Przybycin said he's seeing customers coming in from as far away as New York, but for him, there's no typical Vespa rider.

"It's all over the board, from 18 to 80," Przybycin said. "It's not gender-specific. Everybody's buying them."

Williamstown-native Dawn Pritchard has had her eye on a scooter for several years now, but it wasn't until recently she caved and picked up one of her own. Now living in the Philadelphia suburbs, the 29-year-old horticulturalist opted for a TNG Milano an American-designed and made alternative to a Vespa.

"My car uses way too much gas and I was just getting sick of it," Pritchard said. "On top of that I thought a scooter would just be a lot of fun."

In her eyes the machine definitely pays for itself. She estimates in a normal work week, her scooter payment is equal to what she has to spend to fill up the tank of her car. Unlike Carrozzino, Pritchard isn't ready to take her prized pearl green scooter she calls "Ellie" out on the highway or out in bad weather.

"Even when it's a light rain, it hits you like BBs," Pritchard said.

To pilot a scooter in New Jersey, one must pass the state's motorcycle drivers test, just like the Harley-Davidson's and sport performance motorcycles more commonly found on area highways. The same goes for riders in Pennsylvania. Carrozzino said it's not unusual for him to chat about bikes with those on more powerful machines and will share the biker wave a flat palm extended low and to the side with them when passing on the road. It's people who aren't familiar with scooters that ask the most questions when they see him in his helmet and goggles.

"I get mostly stares," Carrozzino said with a hint of mischief in his voice. "People will roll down their windows and say oh my god, what is that."

"It's an eye catcher."

I had it out this evening and put ten miles on it. Took it to the school yard
and was just driving around, between the parked school buses (they skipped
a spot) and stopping and starting, giving hand signals, and using the turn
signals. I feel much more confident. Going to take it to work tomorrow. I'm
told Holland Road is a make it or break it drive. Fortunately, I only have two
miles (one way) to work. I'm really enjoying it !! Got insurance, tonight, so
now I am legal.

Charles

I was talking to my Suzuki dealer and he told me 18% of households in Europe have motorcycles/scooters while only 1% of households in the USA have them. I bet that number goes up just a bit with $4 gas. Nothing major, but it should go up. I know most cycle shops I go to barely have any stock. They cant keep anything. While I was buying my new bike last weekend, I know they sold 7 in the 2 hours I was there.

Fantabulous, Mr. C. I would have gone for the full face version, but then again the helmet looks fine (DOT qualified and all). Be careful buddy and watch for those idiots that tend to tailgate bike riders. Those are the ones that make me most nervous.

Oh... and don't ride down the center of the road. Stay out of the oil slick. Ride to one side or another. And always remember that when cornering, keep your head (eyes) parallel with the ground.

Enjoy! There truly is nothing more fun than riding a motorcycle. Especially if you can get her away from traffic and enjoy a back road with some curves and beautiful scenery.

Oh... and don't ride down the center of the road. Stay out of the oil slick. Ride to one side or another. And always remember that when cornering, keep your head (eyes) parallel with the ground.

Enjoy! There truly is nothing more fun than riding a motorcycle. Especially if you can get her away from traffic and enjoy a back road with some curves and beautiful scenery.

And may I add ..No one see's you and do not think they do ...Please ware gloves... A bike rides first get off people put there arms out strate and hands out and the pom and hands can really get hurt...They only do that once ...Then you learn to do the four arm thing..The mechanics gloves they sale are good to ride with..They have some the let air in on the back side...

Look were you want to go and do not target fix on the front wheel.. If you see one kid or animal theres always two..Cars have blind spots on the sides..Ether ride in front or behind ..Not in blind spot..A woman in a car full of kids is deadly..Ether get on the gas and get away from the bozo driving the cage (car)...Or give the cage driver his way..75% of braking is on the front wheel..25% on the back .. Learn to use the front brake ..A lot of riders do not use the front brake...Give'm hell Mr Cheese..

Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock.

My thanks to all you lads for your advise. I havn't been on a motor scooter
in 58 years !! I have to re-learn all that I've forgotten. I'm doing ok, but
I'm still shakey on take offs and a take off going right into a turn. I will
get the hang of it, tho....

Charles

Matt: The dealer only had two helmets in a 'small' size [I wear a 6 1/2 hat].
One was the one I bought and the other was made by/for Vespa and it was
a full face version, with colored slide up/down face pieces. It was $288.00 !

I had my share of idiot this morning. I'm doing 25 MPH in a 25 zone and
some nut is blowing his horn. He finally passed me.

Charles

mat308, I had a Suzuki C90 Boulevard 1500cc road bike until last year when I had my stroke sold it to pay medical bills.Remember, There's old motorcycle riders and there's bold motorycle riders. There's very few old, bold motorcycle riders!Yes, I miss riding!Ride safe and enjoy riding,guys

consider very soon to dump the gas powered mongers and get your self something to pedal, you will save a huge chunk of doe plus get yourselves all in shape ............. heck with a 1-ton Chevy that only gets 4 miles to the gal and the prices are 4.39 a gal come July cannot come soon enough so I can rest that old crate and do estimates on my bike

Erich: Don't think I could handle pedaling to work. Besides, who wants to
be sweaty smelly all day ? If we had a shower at the shop it might be different.

Charles

Mr.C, I use to work for Colonial Chevrolet on Va. Beach Blvd. so I know how it goes with being over charge for absolutely nothing in reference to RK Chevrolet. Are they still on Military Hwy. or is that Casey? Nice ride, BE SAFE!8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back