My R-4360 on the Trailer Build Up (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

robwkamm

Airman 1st Class
Mar 2, 2010
fair Lawn NJ
Well its been at my shop of a while now. we finally got it out of the can . 3 trys and we got it. man its a heavy engine. i was going to build a trialer but found this one locally and has the right old school look for me. i will clean it all up. i have to build a mount for the engine. . the motor is just on jacks for now. i pulled all the cowling and sprayed oil down most of the cylinders and had a look. all look great so far. lots and lots of presevative, its sticky and just nasty. anyone know of a good chemical to flush it with ? i was going with my trusty mix of gas and Kero. here are a few pics to wet your appetites.

Attachments

• 4360 5.jpg
    4360 5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 452
  • 4360 6.jpg
    4360 6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 4360 7.jpg
    4360 7.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 453
  • 4360 8.jpg
    4360 8.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 442
well i cannot afford the plane this is the closest ill get to a big radial war bird. i have the accessories, big prop(ham sandard hydromatic 43e60 ) im cutting down to fit and im getting her running mounted onto the trailer. its going to be the worlds largest running paper weight.!! LOL go on you tube and check them out., penngrove museum has one on there running. just type penngrove r-4360 and youll see the crazyness.

No worse than having a piano, they are big an heavy and just sit around waiting to be played with. LOL

updates comming. shes on the trailer. the mounts are 3/4 done. i have the oil system in place . i just need to install /buy a pre oilpump. all lines are in for it. i found a starter and all the missing spark plugs. this weekend im getting the battery box from west marine. once i do she will be cranking with the starter on her . ill post up some pics.next week. ive been busy in the shop with a 69 gto resto thats finally done. and a 57 chevy handyman wagon all this besides customers cars! and a new baby in the house! i need 30 hour days LOL

oil system and basic engine mount. when its all done it will be taken apart for paint and detail

Attachments

• 2 598.jpg
    2 598.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 2 599.jpg
    2 599.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 345
Sits too low. Gotta get it up high to swing an 7 to 8 foot propeller. On the wing all the mounting is on the rear the ring is just in front of the accessory section. On a -59 all the prop control and oil tank is in the way to even attempt to support at the front of the gear reduction case.
On the maintenance stand it hangs from its 4 mount points, any yes it supports it enough to run it too.

i thought about going higher. i was afraid to trailer something that top heavy. as it sits the prop hub is 5.5 ft off the ground already.im swinging the prop lower than the base of the trailer. set the motor foward so it all clears even if the big paddles of the prop go full feather by accident.my nose case has lots of room. its the 7 mags thats got me nervous. Timing and all that. I found a mag switch for one of these. 14 positions! ill post up a pic when i take one.

nothing major. im building the starting system still. we have been packed at the shop so not to much time to play. I did pick up a Jacobs 755 to play with. it had a bad cylinder. i fixed it this week. now i need some mags. and that will be a runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back