My Stepdad

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dave, brutal is a very mild term for those 17 horrific days. I hope all on this Forum fully realize the true scope of the horror and heroism of the 17 day Breakout at the Changjin Reservoir. I was 6YO and can still remember the radio reports. Beyond any doubt Dave's Step-Dad was a HERO
Fearful of an American sweep into the North following the successful landing at Inchon, the Chinese government issued a warning: If General MacArthur sent his troops north of the 38th parallel, they would be met by soldiers of the Chinese Army. Military planners doubted that the threat was real, and sent the Allied forces north to "neutralize" the forces of North Korea and insure that a repeat of the June 25th invasion would not occur. On October 9, 1950 the first elements of American military units crossed the 38th parallel to take the battle home to the North Koreans. Five days later two Chinese Armies consisting of 12 Divisions (120,000 soldiers) crossed the Yalu River undetected.
For weeks the Chinese soldiers moved into the rugged mountains of North Korea, traveling only under cover of night and camouflaging their positions during the day. As MacArthur's forces moved north in a two-prong front, the 8th Army moving toward the Yalu River from the western side of the peninsula and the 10th Army on the eastern coast, the Americans didn't realize a well hidden, massive force was waiting to pounce on them. On October 25th the hidden enemy attacked, surprising forces of the ROK army. In three days they destroyed four ROK regiments. Still, American war planners were hesitant to believe the Chinese Force was more than just a few scattered units of North Korean soldiers, and committed the men of the 8th and 10th Armies to an offensive campaign to end the war and, as General MacArthur promised, get American soldiers "Home by Christmas".
Members of the 1st Marine Division were to move northwest on the main supply route to the vital Chosin Reservoir. The village of Koto-ri was almost mid-way from Hungnam to the north edge of the reservoir, and the 4,200 Marines of the 1st Marine Regiment set up there. The 1st Marine Division Headquarters was established at Hagaru-ri, a small village at the southern tip of the reservoir. By November 27th 3,000 Americans inhabited Hagaru-ri, most of them engineers, clerks, and supply personnel.
The combat troops, warriors of the 5th and 7th Marine Regiments moved 12 miles northwest to the village of Yudam-ni. From here they were to travel west, crossing the rugged mountains to link up with the 8th Army. That was the plan, but the plan hadn't factored in two unexpected obstacles:
There were between 120,000 and 150,000 well hidden Chinese Communist soldiers, and the worst winter weather conditions in 100 years.
At one regimental headquarters the thermometer fell to minus 54 degrees. American Marines shivered in their foxholes, while vehicle drivers were forced to run their engines 24-hour a day. If the engine were shut down, chances were high that it couldn't be restarted. A rare hot meal could quickly freeze in the time it took a Marine to move from the serving line to a place where he could sit down to eat it. Then, to add to the misery, the Chinese launched their surprise attack.
As night fell on November 27, tens of thousands of Chinese soldiers came out of hiding, attacking American soldiers and Marines at all points around the Chosin Reservoir.
From November 27th to December 10th, American soldiers and Marines would find themselves in a battle unlike any other in history. Survival would call for leadership, teamwork, and immense courage. From it was born a brotherhood perhaps unmatched by veterans of any other battle. During the horrible 14 days that followed "LIFE" magazine photographer David Duncan, himself a Marine Corps veteran of World War II, captured many heart-rending images. David Duncan couldn't help asking this soldier, "What would you like for Christmas?" He replied: "Give me tomorrow"
In just three days, Nov 27, 28, and 29, the battle at the Chosin Reservoir had turned into a massacre. Like the infamous "Charge of the Light Brigade", American soldiers and Marines had found themselves in "the jaws of death" because someone had blundered...refused to believe that the Chinese could have secretly moved so vast a force into North Korea.
The soldiers and Marines at the Chosin were facing an enemy that had surrounded them and outnumbered them more than 10 to 1, and in the face of similar opposing forces facing the 8th Army in the west, the drive to the Yalu halted and a withdrawal was finally ordered. Hagaru-ri would do its best to hold while the 5th and 7th Marines withdrew from Yudam-ni, then they would continue together with the forces from Hagaru-ri on the 12 mile stretch of the Main Supply Route to Koto-ri. From there the combined forces would move on to evacuation ships waiting in the Sea of Japan at Hungnam. With daylight on the morning of November 30th, it seemed that every Marine was either trapped and surrounded, or fighting his way into that trap to rescue his brothers. For the entire 14 mile mountainous route, the Marines had to fight for every inch of progress. The Chinese weren't content to see the First Marine Division leaving, they wanted to wipe them out to-a-man.
On Tuesday, December 5th the first units from Hagaru-ri began the dangerous 12-mile journey to Koto-ri. Every step was a battle but the survivors of the Chosin Reservoir fought their way out of the frozen lake Back at Hagaru-ri, a mass grave held the remains of far too many comrades.
By mid-day on December 7th, the last men from Hagaru-ri arrived, nearly 25,000 frozen, starving, wounded, battle-weary Marines and their supporting elements from what was left of the Army's 7th Infantry Division. Over the following days the dangerous withdrawal continued along the 53-mile distance from Koto-ri to the port at Hungnam.
Despite their best efforts, the Chinese forces had failed to crush the indomitable First Marine Division. They came out unashamed, bringing their equipment, their wounded, and most of their dead.
There were many acts of heroism by thousands of soldiers and Marines at the Chosin that went unheralded simply because they were unseen or unreported. Fourteen Marines, two Soldiers, and one Naval Aviator received Medals of Honor, seven of them surviving to wear their award. All would point out that the award they wear, they do so in honor and memory of the valiant men whose acts of heroism went unrecognized.
US X Corps and the ROK I Corps later reported a total of 10,495 battle casualties, of which 4,385 were from the US Marines, 3,163 were from the US Army, 2,812 were from South Koreans attached to American formations and 78 were from the British Royal Marines. Outside of the combat losses, the 1st Marine Division also reported 7,338 non-battle casualties due to the cold weather.
chosin_tomorrow.jpg

Thank you, Mike.

The cold was so terrible, that peeing on their Garands would often fail to free the action. He and many of his buddies had no choice, but to hold their positions, as they were unable to walk due to being in the freezing water for so long. When their rifles either froze or ran short of ammo, they used Chinese weapons, when those ran out, they used their knives, bayonettes, trenching tools, helmets and their bare hands. They used the frozen corpses of the Chinese piled around their position as additional cover and in the end, most had to crawl through the snow nearly two miles, when the order to fall back came down, because few were capable of walking.

There were a great deal more in the way of details, but this is just an overview.

And he never celebrated his birthday, because it was on November 28th.

I'm a little late in posting this, as I just haven't been in the mood to deal with it, to be honest.

But back on January 25th, my Stepdad passed away. It's been difficult to have so many friends and family passing away lately, and this hits really close to home.

My Stepdad was approaching 80 years old and died from complications of his heart. Several years ago, he had bypass surgery but the Docs weren't sure how well it would hold up...and now we know.

Robert Kingdon was born in Illinois and grew up in a small farming community and from there, joined the Marine Corps, which saw him going to Korea. He was with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Division, a survivor of Chosin Reservoir. His wounds and severe frostbite landed him a long stay, recuperating in various Navy hospitals and then was discharged from the Corps, eventually ending up in California, where he met my Mom in the late 70's. They were married 37 years at his passing.

He didn't have any children (besides, he had his hands full with me and my sister, anyway)

Not sure what Mom plans to do for his internment, she is pretty broken up right now, so I haven't asked.
First, let me express my condolences to you and your Mom. Your step dad surely suffered from the after effects of the exposure to that bitter weather for so long a period of time as well as from the battle itself.

I about fell out of my chair when I read "He was with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Division..."I read the book "Last Stand Of Fox Company" a short while ago. Those men deserve all the credit for keeping the escape road open so the troops could withdraw to the coast and be evacuated. Fox Company... my god! As the Admiral said at the end of the movie "The Bridges Of Toko- Ri", Where do we get such men?

First, let me express my condolences to you and your Mom. Your step dad surely suffered from the after effects of the exposure to that bitter weather for so long a period of time as well as from the battle itself.

I about fell out of my chair when I read "He was with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Division..."I read the book "Last Stand Of Fox Company" a short while ago. Those men deserve all the credit for keeping the escape road open so the troops could withdraw to the coast and be evacuated. Fox Company... my god! As the Admiral said at the end of the movie "The Bridges Of Toko- Ri", Where do we get such men?
Thank you for that.

He never spoke much about that battle until he was in his final days.

About the only thing he ever mentioned in general conversation, was that they didn't retreat, they attacked in the opposite direction.

Thank you for that.

He never spoke much about that battle until he was in his final days.

About the only thing he ever mentioned in general conversation, was that they didn't retreat, they attacked in the opposite direction.
I think he was quoting Gen "Chesty" Puller- "Retreat Hell, we're attacking in the opposite direction."

Fox Company is legendary in the annals if the USMC. If your Mom knew the whole story she would be even more proud of your step-dad. So would the rest of this country. Korea is not called "The Forgotten War" for nothing.:disappointed:

Here is that book about Fox Company at the Toktong Pass in Korea. It is well worth reading and may add dimension to your understanding your Step father.

Attachments

• Fox Company.jpg
    Fox Company.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Here is that book about Fox Company at the Toktong Pass in Korea. It is well worth reading and may add dimension to your understanding your Step father.
Thank you for the book suggestion.
I've read it and it's a sobering account.

My stepdad had an extensive book collection, this volume included. After his passing, my Mom donated the library to the local USMC recruiting post and the Gunny personally came to receive the books.
After talking to Mom about my Stepdad's service, he realized that these were the collection of an Old Guard of the Chosin Few and respectfully asked if he might have a few for his own library and Mom said he was welcome to any that he wanted.

As a kid, I grew up with these guys all around - they were hardass on me, but always fair. This is, perhaps, why I might come across as a mean bastard sometimes.
My Mom's older brothers served in the PTO, Uncle Fred was a submariner and suffered the bends for the rest of his life because of his escape through a torpedo tube as his sub was sinking.
My Uncle Earl had a chronic cough to the end of his days from the damage caused by his burning destroyer during the battle of the Solomons.
There's much more in the way of family and friends, all who were greater men than I, but I had the privilege of knowing them, learning from them and being in their company.

Thank you for the book suggestion.
I've read it and it's a sobering account.

My stepdad had an extensive book collection, this volume included. After his passing, my Mom donated the library to the local USMC recruiting post and the Gunny personally came to receive the books.
After talking to Mom about my Stepdad's service, he realized that these were the collection of an Old Guard of the Chosin Few and respectfully asked if he might have a few for his own library and Mom said he was welcome to any that he wanted.

As a kid, I grew up with these guys all around - they were hardass on me, but always fair. This is, perhaps, why I might come across as a mean bastard sometimes.
My Mom's older brothers served in the PTO, Uncle Fred was a submariner and suffered the bends for the rest of his life because of his escape through a torpedo tube as his sub was sinking.
My Uncle Earl had a chronic cough to the end of his days from the damage caused by his burning destroyer during the battle of the Solomons.
There's much more in the way of family and friends, all who were greater men than I, but I had the privilege of knowing them, learning from them and being in their company.
That was a very nice gesture on the part of your Mom, those books will be appreciated. That Gunny was quick to pick up on your step-dad's service in the "Old Guard of the Chosin Few". Your uncles were certainly in the thick of things in the Pacific! What submarine was your Uncle Earl on?

I'm an Army Brat, born in 1938, so I grew up admiring "The Greatest Generation" as my heroes. So many are gone now.

I know the names of two of the three subs Uncle Fred served aboard:
USS Grayling (SS-209)
USS Cavallah (SS-244)

The one that was sunk, I do not know the name.

Regarding the Grayling, my Uncle and one other shipmate missed the Grayling's last patrol. They were on shore leave when the boat received emergency orders to put to sea.
Their not being able to get back to the boat in time saved their lives.
Uncle Fred was then assigned to another boat, which was soon lost.
After which, he was assigned to the Cavalla for the duration.
He was not only a torpedoman, but the mess stewerd.

It's been years since I've heard the story told, but aparently, my Uncle and a few other shipmates conducted a raid on a carrier at Pearl and stole it's ice cream machine and installed it in his sub! :lol:

I know the names of two of the three subs Uncle Fred served aboard:
USS Grayling (SS-209)
USS Cavallah (SS-244)

The one that was sunk, I do not know the name.

Regarding the Grayling, my Uncle and one other shipmate missed the Grayling's last patrol. They were on shore leave when the boat received emergency orders to put to sea.
Their not being able to get back to the boat in time saved their lives.
Uncle Fred was then assigned to another boat, which was soon lost.
After which, he was assigned to the Cavalla for the duration.
He was not only a torpedoman, but the mess stewerd.

It's been years since I've heard the story told, but aparently, my Uncle and a few other shipmates conducted a raid on a carrier at Pearl and stole it's ice cream machine and installed it in his sub! :lol:
Thank you. Those two are well-known submarines. Fred was lucky that he missed sailing on the Grayling that last time. When I was a freshman in high school my dad was assigned to a one-year class at the US Navy War college in Newport, RI and met some famous submariners there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back