Mystery Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
Anyone got an idea what this aircraft is?
31387664_10214317535144748_8938589621638638254_n.jpg

Went through "Lockheed Aircraft since 1913". The Altair looks very similar Andy but it was the first Lockheed aircraft with a retractable undercarriage, no spats. This was done at the request of Charles Lindbergh. Unless its a one-off, not a Lockheed

Propeller cone, tear-drop wheel spats, weird wing dihedral, huge lettering under the wing, Kamikaze-ish paint job, palm tree in the back ground. Could be Japanese. Looks C5M Bab'ish to me. That's not it, but looks Japanese.

GEE BEE Q.E.D. DURING BENDIX RACE.jpg

Could it be a 1935 Bendix race GEE BEE QED RACER, looking at the first image the tail is taller.
1935 PHOTO~GEE BEE QED RACER REFUELLING.jpg

Last edited:
Rather no. the plane has the tail wheel while the Gee Bee has the skid.

I have enlarged the pic and worked on it with the Gamma correction. It revealed the black number on the wing undersides. Judging by the number shape the pic seems to be reverted. I inverted that and the number looks like the R 32 or R 22.

xplane1.jpg

xplane1a.jpg

This pic has been on a couple of other forums - no one has gotten it yet, I certainly don't know what it is...

A Google search of the photo provided the following:

"A few days ago an interesting group of photos of Spanish military aircraft made towards August 1941 in San Javier was put on sale in allcollection.Among them appears this strange plane that I have not been able to identify. Does anyone recognize it?"

I wouldn't exclude the Japanese kite. If you have a close up look at the forest in the pic you can notice that these trees are palms. That may suggest the Pacific Ocean region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back