Mystery B-25 .... Mystery solved ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Do you guys remember the B-25 "Mitchell" bomber that sat at Franklin Airport, in Franklin, Va.
that I reported on quite a few years ago ? Well, I was in Franklin two weeks ago, and made it
a point to stop at Franklin Airport. It was gone !! No one I talked to knew anything about it.

I just found out today that the plane, altho tangled up in legal red-tape, was finally purchased
by a collector in Australia (no name given).

The B-25 was dis-mantled where it sat, in April of this year, and shipped off to it's new owner.
The experts at Aero Trader say the aircraft has extensive corrosion damage, so restoring it will
be both time consuming and expensive.

The new owner already has an A-26 "Invader" in his collection, so the B-25 will be in good company.

Maybe Wayne can find something out ???

Charles

I have read somewhere they intend on restoring it in 18(NEI)sqn colours which would be cool. If it was mine though I would paint it as one of the top two.. :cool:

Attachments

• navod_B-25_1.jpg
    navod_B-25_1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 149
There is good news to be had about the Franklin B-25. On April 17, 2017 Reevers Warbirds is holding an open house, where they will have this B-25 (former Lucky Lady) on display, in the colors of a Dutch squadron. More info here: Reevers Warbirds's B-25 "Lucky Lady" Update.

I don't usually donate to the preservation of a warbird, but I am happy to say I helped buy the paint for this restoration.

Maybe Wayne can give us some more info.

Charles

The Reevers Warbird organization, in Adelaide, Australia, purchased the Franklin B-25, from Rio Grande Aviation, in Texas, some time ago. I am happy to report she has been restored to static condition and was put on display at their facility last week-end. She has been done up in Dutch colours as a tribute to the 18th Squadron of Dutchmen who operated out of Australia during the war . Plans are in the works to restore the B-25 to flying condition in five years. I'm 83..... I really hope I live to see it. As an aside, I made a monetary contribution some time ago, and I was informed that I helped pay for the paint.

b-25 in Oz.jpg

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
The Reevers Warbird organization, in Adelaide, Australia, purchased the Franklin B-25, from Rio Grande Aviation, in Texas, some time ago. I am happy to report she has been restored to static condition and was put on display at their facility last week-end. She has been done up in Dutch colours as a tribute to the 18th Squadron of Dutchmen who operated out of Australia during the war . Plans are in the works to restore the B-25 to flying condition in five years. I'm 83..... I really hope I live to see it. As an aside, I made a monetary contribution some time ago, and I was informed that I helped pay for the paint.

View attachment 371268

Charles
B-25_12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back