Nazi gold train found ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those trains don't look like they've been underground for 70+ years, unless the Polish washed them before taking pictures...

maybe that is why the lenses all splotched up with water droplets?

and I just checked...there is nothing on google about them breaching the tunnel and finding anything.

Last edited:
I just read a comment from someone who said it is a model train. According to him, there was only on example build of this type of locomotive, so it must be fake. The camoflage on the crates also seems to be non-german. So my best guess is that it is a fake, although I admit I'm no expert by a long shot.

The photos are appearing at various internet sites. I have no idea of their provenance though one site stated that they were supposedly of the Polish train. I know nothing about the sort of trains the Germans might have used at this time, nor of the emblems/insignia they might have carried (apart from the eagle holding the swastika in a wreath) so I can't comment on that either. I've never seen a train with buffers painted in the camouflage colours before!

The 'ingot' doesn't look like any silver ingot I've seen. Where are the stamps? Bullion is always thoroughly marked. The Germans were sticklers for things like that and they would be an obvious thing to photograph to show that these are ingots from the relevant period.

I still think this smells strongly of eau de hoax.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I still think this smells strongly of eau de hoax.

Cheers

Steve

I think you're right... Having taken plenty of photos underground while younger (I used to do a bit of caving) they always had a washed-out appearance due to the flash as a light source, which these don't have, and these photos have a single-point light source. The more I look at them, the more I think they're models. Very well-made models though...

There's something about the depth of focus, too which I can't quite put my finger on...

I have several ingots that have the assay marks (weight, purity, etc.) on the broad face facing up in the mould, so it's possible it could be the same here (as the mould base is facing the viewer).

That's sort of my point. Why take a photo of an unmarked face when it would be just as easy and much more convincing to show the various marks which would certainly be present on genuine bullion?

The obvious answer is because this is a hoax and that is not a genuine piece of properly marked bullion!

The more I look the more fake this looks. The train looks like the sort of thing used in underground mines, not on a national network. The 'bullion' looks like a piece of 2x4 sprayed silver :)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
And, given the fears, or concerns, over explosives, booby traps etc, then why is this train suddenly ransacked, with what I presume are supposed to be wooden crates (remarkably preserved!), thrown on the ground and broken, with the 'ingots' strewn around ?
I'm sure that more care would have been taken during the opening of the wagons, an the removal of the crates - and I'm also sure the 'recovery team' would have ensured that more professional photography was undertaken, rather than the poor quality "I'll just snap this with my cell-phone" images shown.

I think you're right... Having taken plenty of photos underground while younger (I used to do a bit of caving) they always had a washed-out appearance due to the flash as a light source, which these don't have, and these photos have a single-point light source. The more I look at them, the more I think they're models. Very well-made models though...

There's something about the depth of focus, too which I can't quite put my finger on...

yeah the camera lens is fogged or has water droplets on it.....which can easily help mask details. the room is too well and evenly lit for a cave...and you do see where they have set up lights

The bar has to be a painted fake. Look closely at the end and you can clearly see what has to be the grain of the wood. Also the train looks more like a movie set than an actual train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back