Need Help With Slang - Please ASAP!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pisis

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2004
Praga Mater Urbium
Hey, I'm currently translating some songs of a band called Druhá Tráva (Second Grass - Druhá Tráva Official Website) for their US tour.

I desperately need some help! Here is a list of what I need, I'll post more and more through the stages of the translation...

- What is the slang term for a jail?
- How is the Paprika, the Capia breed, called in English?
IMG_0749.jpg

THANKS!!! 8)

Here is a first song I've translated...
If you can help to improve the rhymes, I'll be very glad!!!

Pendl To Betlehem

I don't hear a word, just dogs barking and seagull's giggle
Bells're wailing, (trapisté?) humming and a crows whizzing
The whistle's sizzling, even your kiss sounds like slap
Dies irae, and all above it, a Pelican roughly yells

But before I cut away, my dumb love
I'll be glad to hitchhike something for ya
Today morning, a (Pendl) to Betlehem [bejt-lem]
Or then tomorrow, a cab straight for heaven [hej-ven]

I can see in your eyes, you always got what you wanted
You're all way insane from my dread and my nudity
The priests are rending my heart, with a stone knife
Those same as you, my beloved, same as you, same as you

But before I cut away, my dumb love
I'll be glad to hitchhike something for ya
Today morning, a (Pendl) to Betlehem
Or then tomorrow, a cab straight for heaven

:lol:

Slang terms for jail- the joint, the pen (short for penitentiary), "up the river" means in prison. Calaboose is an old Southwestern term for jail too.

Pisis said:
Hey, I'm currently translating some songs of a band called Druhá Tráva (Second Grass - Druhá Tráva Official Website) for their US tour.

I desperately need some help! Here is a list of what I need, I'll post more and more through the stages of the translation...

- What is the slang term for a jail?
- How is the Paprika, the Capia breed, called in English?
IMG_0749.jpg

THANKS!!! 8)

Pisis, you mean the spice paprika? It's just paprika.

I think Twitch is right about the jail translation. "The Pen" or "The Joint". You are sent "up river". Sent to prison. Locked up in the "County", if local jail. Sent to "Club Fed".

Oh, thanks. :D
Twitch, I meant not the spicy one, it is a special specie of paprika, that in latin (and thus in Czech + other languages) called Capia... But it has been solved now.
Thanks!!!

Here is one more, hoosegow, I had to search around and found it at Answers.com; at first I was trying to spell it housegow but it is hoosegow, as in "thrown in the hoosegow":

Dictionary: hoose·gow (hūs'gou') pronunciation

n. Slang.

A jail.

[Spanish juzgado, tribunal, courtroom, from past participle of juzgar, to judge, from Latin iūdicāre, from iūdex, iūdic-, judge. See judge.]

Last edited:
The hoosegow is fairly common in the southwest.

A Hungarian friend once wrongly imprisoned for a year and a half jokes about it calling it the 'Rács Akadémia' - 'the Academy of bars' !
Usually just called 'inside' in NZ.

The large Paprika are often called Red or Green peppers, or Capsicums in English.
Small paprika is called Chilli pepper, or just Chilli, in whole form, Paprika in ground form, ie; as a spice.
(There are other names too, just can't remember them at the moment.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back