Need help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jester63

Airman
Nov 19, 2010
Three Rivers, MI
Can anyone tell me how to make realistic looking 1/48 scale runway landing matts for dioramas, or if you can buy these in sections or something? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Justin

If you mean the PSP (Pierced Steel Planking), then this is available in photo-etch form and resin, the latter being, I think, from Verlinden. The photo-etch looks ok but, as far as I've seen to date, it isn't '3D'.
If on the other hand you mean the 'mesh' type, such as Sommerfeld matting, then this can easily be made from the fine net used in bridal veils, curtains etc, available from most haberdashery or fabrics shops.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! This helps a ton! I actually am unsure of which it would be. What would have been used at landing strips in WW2 in New Guinea, at say gusap, and nadzab?

Last edited:
Could have been either - the American version of Sommerfeld matting is Marsden Matting BTW. Best thing is to try to find some photos of aircraft based there, as the planks or matting will probably be visible. Note that both of these were often only used for the hardstands at dispersal points, with the runway itself being packed earth or coral, but there were exceptions of course.

well I'm starting as a plane in Nadzab Was that just you I can put a picture as it was at least the starting point for the parking of aircraft and Tiera was simply packed as shown in the pics

d126a499.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back