New Guy With a Question, Spitfire Tail Wheel? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

F1springy

Recruit
Dec 28, 2010
Horsmonden, Kent
Hi new to the site and after some information.

I was walking my dog in the fields and wood at the back of my house and noticed in the stream in the woods a wheel, after a few days of trying to get it out I finally managed it.
I went on the net to try and find out what it was and think it may be from a Spitfire? (Photo of Spitfire tail wheel in Headcorn museum used as reference)
Additional checking the only Spitfire that crashed here was Wing Commander Roland Robert Stanford Tuck.
However all reports say his plane crashed on the other side of the village (Horsmonden, Kent, England)
Hopefully you guys can confirm the wheel is indeed from a Spitfire, then I only have to work out how it got there!
I have attached a photo, there is a number on it 5855 and maybe 400 on the tyre it's self.
Regards
Richard
DSC00046-1.jpg

DSC00047-1.jpg

Certainly looks like a Spit tail wheel, just going off the presumed dimensions, compared to the newspaper beneath it. Great find if it is from Bob Stanford Tuck's kite!
Rocketeer is probably the guy to confirm or otherwise, as he's got more Spit bits than the BBMF I reckon!
Just thinking back over forty years, when I last read Tuck's story - I seem to recall a crash landing in a Spit where he had to go under some power or telephone cables, and I think 'bounced' off a hillock or some such rising ground, before continuing to the belly landing. That could possibly account for the different locations, but of course, the wheel, if it is from a Spit, could have ended up where you found it after, for example, a mid-air collision, explosion or whatever, certainly if you're in Kent!
Try sending a PM to Tony (Rocketeer), just in case he doesn't see this thread. BTW, welcom to the forum!

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for the warm welcome and the people to ask for confirmation on the wheel.
I have PM'd Rocketeer and will get in contact with Edgar.
I talked with the farmer who owns the land who is also a friend and he said his late mother always said something crashed in the wood in that area but she thought it was a V1, it may be time to invest in a metal detector?
As Airframes said living in this area there are a hundred and one reasons for it getting there!
Thanks again for the welcome and I will let you know when I find something out.

Good find! It could do with a bit more of a clean.....!
On first glance, it looks like a Mk2 Hurricane wheel....

I am sure it is not Spitfire.....if you can clean it and look for any other numbers (especially those starting 'AH' or 'AHO') that would help.

I believe that you will find a number (on the hub) saying either AHO 5048 or AHO 5775 may not have the 'O'. In that case; the first is Hurricane Mk2, the second Oxford.

It is quite like a typhoon wheel (which from memory is AHO5007 or 9).

A Spit tailwheel is AH2184....

So Id opt for Hurri 2 or Typhoon!

I am always available with my detector!!!
cheers
Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the information, took your advice and cleaned it up a bit more.
Unfortunately there is some damaged to the the area with the serial number on!
However as you will see from the new photos it is as you said a AH number.
It reads AHO ? 00/2 and in the little circle next this DR with a 13 underneath.
Does this help any more with the identification?
May well take you up on the offer of coming down with your detector, will have a word with the farmer.

Attachments

• DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 262
That is very nice indeed Richard...the number would have been AHO 5000/2...which means.....it is aluminum (the /2 means that!), also means the ally is in quite good condition...
I am delighted to say that your wheel is actually extremely likely to be Hurricane Mk1. the 5000 tail wheel (made by Dunlop) was fitted to Hurricane 1's and Proctors....the attachment shows my 5000/2 (which is a bit ropey). I could not resist also putting a piccy of the Tyffie tailwheel with its lovely Dunlop tyre!

Attachments

• hurri.jpg
    hurri.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 333
  • tyffie.jpg
    tyffie.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 583
Hi Tony,
Thank you so much for clearing this up with the confirmation of the tail wheel.
I have been doing a bit more delving and talking to locals at a little get together yesterday and now you have confirmed it is a Hurricane Mk1 tail wheel how about this for a scenario!
And I know we will never be able to confirm this but my mind has been working overtime!
A Hurricane Mk1 crashed close to here after a head on attack that was apparently common for the squadron the pilot was in 111sq.
F/Lt. H M Ferriss
In a head-on attack over Marden on August 16th 1940 Ferriss collided with a Do17 and was killed. He crashed on Sheephurst Farm, in Hurricane R4193. The Do17, of 7/KG76, crashed at Moatlands, Benchley, Paddock Wood.
Now the wheel was found pretty much slap bang in the middle of these two locations, no more than a mile to each!
All I can find out about the Do17 crew is that they were missing?
Thank you all again for your welcome and help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I might have an account of this engagement. If it's the one I think it is, another aircraft involved still exists, the Hurricane Mk1 now on display in the Science Museum, London. I'll find the magazine article, I think from 1990, and check it out.
Either way, it certainly sounds as if the wheel is from this battle, and a superb discovery !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back