New Magnifier

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
I just wanted to report on a new magnifier that I picked up. Previously, I was using one of these...
xa75170_x.jpg

which worked well but had limitation since the magnifying glass was basically attached to the table.

For a more flexible, hands-free solution, I started looking at loupes and Optivisor-type wearable magnifiers. My LHS had an Optivisor in stock, which I tried on for size. It seemed to be workable but I didn't like the "closed in" sensation while wearing it. I finally settled on a Carson Magnivisor. I like the open design which preserves your peripheral vision.

IMG_4397_zpsklvwrsf5.jpg

It comes with four magnifying lenses (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x and 3x). I've only started using it and have settled on the 2x and 2.5x being the most useful for overall work. The short focal distance and shallow depth of field limits the usefulness of the 3x lens for me.

The LED is a nice touch but I don't really need it since my hobby desk is well lit. You can lighten the Magnivisor even more by removing the LED and the 3 AAA batteries that it runs on, which I might do in the future. Right now, I've experienced no discomfort wearing the Magnivisor.

Cost is about the same as the Donegan Optivisor. I got mine from Ebay for less than $35 US shipped.

Here's my setup. The frame has a circular fluorescent light in it and 2 levels of magnification. Picked it up for $20 or so and works pretty well except sometimes being a bit inconvenient for bigger objects. I'd be buggered without it :shock:

light web.jpg

This is mine. Two magnifications with flip up lenses. I don't use the loop as I find it hard working 3 inches from my face. I do like to use the LED light even though I have plenty of lighting, every bit helps

005.JPG

I've been using the Carson magnivisor for the past couple of weeks and it has been working very well. I've recently swapped out the 2.0x lens for the 2.5x, which seems to hit a sweet spot of usefulness for me. I'm still accustomed to working underneath a magnifying glass so I find myself making an instinctive reach for it, even though I have this magnivisor on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back