New Movie, "Air Strike" set in China

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina

View: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4743226/videoplayer/vi537377561?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

New movie staring Bruce Willis and Adrien Brody. Bruce's character is loosely based on Chennault, while he was training the Chinese Air Force and during the flying tiger era. I saw a movie poster and concerned me as they were showing F4U Corsairs, but I did not see any in the trailer.

Since 1937, 81 years would be long enough to make it harder for the producer to research historical facts in details.
Nice find, David :thumbleft:

Nice catch! Looks from the trailer like the good guys are flying Russian-built Polikarpov I-15 biplanes and I-16 monoplanes and not the P-40s of the Flying Tigers. ;)

Btw, Gen. Chennault and the Flying Tigers are well remembered in Kunming – there's even a restaurant called The Flying Tigers. When I was in Kunming a couple of years ago, the city museum had an entire floor dedicated to models, portraits and documents from the time (1941–1942) when American pilots fought the Japanese in the First American Volunteer Group (AVG) of the Chinese Air Force, the official name of the group.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I doubt that Chennault or Bruce Willis knew of the Zero in 1937. This does bring to mind that some 30 years ago a model club member brought a guest to a meeting to show an amateur black and white 8mm film of the AVG period. The films showed long nose P-40s with three rocket tubes clustered together under each wing for a total of six, flying between ridges firing at ground targets. Since it was filmed from the ground, this must have been practice. Our guess was these were the original acft survivors now used for ground attack after newer replacements arrived.

I doubt that Chennault or Bruce Willis knew of the Zero in 1937.

Heh... Since the Zero didn't enter service until 1940, that's a good bet. At the time this movie is set, the Japanese Army's main fighter was the Ki-27 "Nate" and the Navy's was the A5M "Claude," if I remember correctly.

Not in it's wildest dreams could a WW2 era 2.5 ton truck get up to the landing speed of a P-40.

Indeed... The CCKW (deuce and a half) would only get up to 85 mph (P-40 landing speed) if you pushed it off a cliff. :)

-Irish

Of course it was modern times, but I saw an event at New Orleans lakefront airport years ago where a pickup with guys in the bed supported the wing of a Cessna 180 on amphib Floats when stbd nose gear wouldn't come down. One run was made to practice speed and the next was for real. It looked better than a movie. Successful mission without damage or injury.

OK, so I am FINALLY watching this. Since I officially have no life, at 19:24 it shows a photo shopped picture of 4 Chinese pilots in front of a Martin 139. The picture is of #1403 (msn 690) of the Chinese Air Force. This is the actual plane that dropped the leaflets mentioned early in the movie over Nagasaki (first Allied aircraft over Japan) on May 18 1938 but was flown by Captain Hsu Huan-sheng, the leader of the 14th Squadron.

Did I mention I have no life?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back