New tool Airfix 1:72 P-51D Mustang in-box review

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Brigadier General
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
For Wojtek and other fellow Mustang lovers!

...sprue shots of the new tool Airfix P-51D in 1:72.

This is the 'Starter Set' version with paints, brush and glue, kit no. A55107. Markings for N.A Mustang IV GA-S (no serial no.), No.112 Sqn, Italy, 1945.

IMO: the second best P-51D on the market in 1:72. Streets ahead of the original Airfix, orig. Hasegawa, Academy, Heller, and even Italeri offerings (yes, I have or have had them all :) ), fuselage and general mouldings are on par with the new tool Hasegawa kits, and interior and smaller details much better.
Beaten only by the Tamiya P-51D and F-51D kits, whose mouldings are just that little bit 'crisper'. That said, you can buy two Airfix's for one Tamiya...

This kit is also available (sans paints, etc) in different boxings, including the F-51D version with an extra sprue for the Aero Products uncuffed prop and bombs.

STA54163.JPG

STA54165.JPG

STA54166.JPG

STA54167.JPG

STA54168.JPG

STA54169.JPG

Good to hear.

Our IPMS group is using this one for a GB to be started this month and finished in June. Out of the box, scratch work has to be from the sprue, aftermarket decals can be used.

Great info Evan. Thank you for sharing. :cool:

And the requirements for the GB , sound interesting , Bill.

Not 'my' scale either, but it certainly looks good. Nice to see they have the 'Dallas' canopy as 'extra', no doubt intended for the other, 'K' version, of the kit, but also useful for a Dallas-built 'D' too. Pitty other companies don't do that in 1/48th and 1/32nd, instead of having to buy a complete kit.

Cheers guys!

Nice theme there Bill, be keen to see how they turn out.
Btw - if anyone in the group makes a P-51 from the F-51D kit and has the Aero Products prop going spare, please let me know! Us kiwis used the Dallas built P-51D-25-NT version, with Dallas hoods and uncuffed props.

Terry, strange more companies don't offer the two canopies in 1:48 - most post-80's 1:72 kits do. As you probably know, Falcon make 1:48 vac-form canopies for both versions, also sold under the 'Squadron' brand name. The ICM 1:48 P-51D also has both hoods, my example moulded thin, but not very clear.

Thanks Evan. The ICM kit has, shall we say, more than a bit to do with Tamiya, as does their 'B/C' version, and clear parts are not their best points. Didn't know their 'D' had the two canopies though - only built their 'B/C' so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back