New US Ambassador Caroline Kennedy arrives at Japan! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Secretary Kerry Visit in Japan - Kennedy Family Welcomed.
On April 10, Caroline and her son Jack welcomed Kerry at Iwakuni Base for his participation of the G7 Foreign Ministers' Meeting held in Hiroshima during April 10-11. I have failed to find them on TV but video is available in Youtube.

I failed to catch this news.

On April 9, prior to seeing Mr Kerry at the Iwakuni Base, Caroline enjoyed cycling riding along the Shimanami Waterfront Road in Onomichi City of Hiroshima Prefecture. She is not only healthy but looks as if an athlete :shock:

Video file :

Attachments

• 125_Cycling_Shimanami(20160409).mp4
    5 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
On April 29, Caroline visited Kumamoto Prefecture to encourage the earthquake victims.
On May 8, Caroline participated "Tokyo Rainbow Pride 2016" which supports human rights of LGBT in the Yoyogi Park of Tokyo. Video shows her speech there.

On May 19, a former U.S. serviceman, now a civilian worker at the U.S. Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, was arrested in connection with the death of an Okinawa woman. In relation with this incident, U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy was summoned by Japan's Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida today.

Kishida "I feel great regret that such a cruel and vicious incident has occurred. I strongly protest representing our government."

Kennedy "This is a cruel tragedy. The United States will cooperate with the Okinawa prefectural police and the Japanese government while strengthening efforts to meet Japan's request."

If I may add something to this news, this kind of incident has not necessarily been rare in Okinawa since WW2 was over.
There have been about 5,000 cases at least.

For more details by Asahi Shinbun
Okinawa case dampening the welcome mood for Obama visit:The Asahi Shimbun

Video file :

Attachments

• 127_Kennedy and Kishida on Okinawa Incident(16_05_20).mp4
    8.1 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Thanks for your kind comment, David :)
I hate this kind of depressing topic too but, for our mutual better understanding, please let me introduce a woman who understands your value well or better than me at least.

Though some of you gents may still remember her well, Ms Catherine Jane Fisher was from Australia to Japan in the 1980s as a daughter of missionary and ironically came across the similar Okinawa incident in Yokosuka 14 years ago. Unlike ordinary Japanese victims, she chased her assailant to the U.S. and won the case 11 years later. She now explains the legacy laid between the U.S. and Japan which we did not recognize well for 70 years.

Catherine Jane Fisher (Survivior of US Military R*p* in Japan) at The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan in 2013
Duration 57:13

Last edited:
G7 Summit 2016 will be held in Ise-Shima nearby Nagoya from tomorrow for 2 days.
Leaders are gathering one after another. Caroline and Ed saw Mr Obama in Nagoya this evening.

Thanks at6 and David for your kind comments :)

On June 26 and 27, Caroline visited Sado Island of Niigata Prefecture to join Sea to Summit 2016 in Sado.
She fully enjoyed the beautiful nature and rare birds of crested ibis also welcomed her.

Caroline talks about her Hiroshima in interview with NHK dated August 4.

Duration: 5:35

Video file:

Attachments

• 131_Interview_w_NHK(20160804).mp4
    23.1 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:
.. a great project. The US needs more of this and the world too.

"Making the world a better place ..." Make the world a more prosperous place and you will be on the right track to making it better .... more equitable, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind comment, MM :)

From 1977 to 1979, our PM Abe was in California as a young student to learn English.
He recalls "There were so many Japanese students that I had few chances to speak English".

In 1979, I happened to be in the UC Berkeley as a tourist and witnessed half a dozen of Japanese students were flocking together to chat in Japanese all day long as Abe experienced.

I don't know how it is today but hope not.

For reference, here is a transition table of the number of Japanese students in the U.S during 58 years.
Until the 1990s, studying abroad in the U.S. was thought advantageous for Japanese students to get better job in Japan but not a few students in the 1990s had shown their poorer English and lesser knowledge of study than expected to lose popularity.
Success in one's life has been re-recognized as it depends on one's ability and efforts no matter where he or she may study.

Students_number.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back