New US Ambassador Caroline Kennedy arrives at Japan! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hopefully she'll change my mind on what i think of the Kennedy family............

The discussions between Japan and the US will get really interesting when it comes to dolphins and whaling and the fishing industry in general...

When Townsend Harris(1804-1878 ) was the first U.S. Ambassador to Japan, he blamed one of our traditional cultures 'mixed bathing' as a barbaric customs and requested us to stop it immediately.
How happy he would have been to 'normalize' us but it was remarked as disgrace in our history.

New ambassador has done the same.
I think what is normal or not depends on the individual people.
Without paying respects first, any 'normalization' would not go friendly.

This is my impression this time.
Sorry but thanks! :)

Last edited:
I find it interesting when a culture says it's ok to kill one animal and not another when there is no logical reasoning behind it beyond preference. It's ok to kill a cow for food but not ok to kill a dolphin for food?

You know our situation very well, David :)

I avoided to comment but there are thousands posts of protest in her Twitter though they are not introduced in the western media as most of them writen in our local language. Posts supporting her are not introduced in our media as most of them are writen English either.
Thanks.

Which goes to show that ones countries culture should not force itself on another for the most part,I can understand what other people use for a diet but I'd hate to see species wiped out,in other words some kind of regulation must be in place so that species can regroup. Obviously I don't know if there is one or not but I'm curious to see if there is.Shinpachi?

I'd hate to see species wiped out,in other words some kind of regulation must be in place so that species can regroup. Obviously I don't know if there is one or not but I'm curious to see if there is.Shinpachi?

I am not a foods expert but agree with you, Torch.

You may not know but such philosophy has been also our wisdom as the ocean people for thousands years, before you discovered the Pacific Ocean.
We still bear it in our minds firmly so that we should not wipe out marine resources from the ocean even after thousands of whales were killed for taking fat by the western whalers in the 19th century and we even obey the international regulation today but that was not our fault.

Take apology if this should be my misunderstanding about your intention.

Last edited:
One need only study Cannery Row in Monterey, California to see the effects of over fishing. The sardines that once were plentiful in the bay were wiped out. It's a story very similar to gold rush towns. It does show that proper balance needs to be maintained to insure survivability of the species. Obviously, the Japanese have had fish for a long time, so there has to have been some amount of regulation, whether by government means, or by the fishermen themselves.

It is wrong for someone to go into another culture and demand that they change their ways. You don;t have to agree with them, but you should at least be tolerant.

Thanks for your kind understanding, Torch and David!

Obviously, the Japanese have had fish for a long time, so there has to have been some amount of regulation, whether by government means, or by the fishermen themselves.

Thanks Eric for your wide knowledge, too!

If I remember it correctly, primitive regulation for the Japanese fishermen was based on Shamanism.
It says "Take minimum, appreciate maximum (for the nature)".

Shamanism is something that I agree with completely. It has survived thousands of years and cultures that have Shamanism that have never met practice very similar things. The quite is similar to one I heard on native American lands. "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back