New Years resolution to parents of infants and toddlers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Last night we had a little scare. My daughter choked on a grape. My wife screamed for me, the kind of scream where you know something is scaring the hell out of her. I ran into the kitchen to see my daughter in her high chair, mouth open as if gasping for air and turning white, and edging into purple. Thank God my medic training sprung me into action. Out of the high chair, on her belly over my knee with her head down and a couple of sharp, but gentle back blows. I felt it before I knew she was clear because I felt her take a deep breath of air as soon as it cleared.

Scary, hell yes! Avoidable, well, children choke on things sometimes. What was avoidable was my wife's panic. Tomorrow, I will call the Red Cross for a refresher infant/child first aid and CPR course. She didn't know what to do. If I hadn't known what to do, she probably would have choked to death before help could arrive. That would NOT have been a good way to start the new year. So if you haven't done the infant/child first aid and CPR course, and you have little ones, PLEASE do it as a new years resolution. Hopefully, you will never have to use it, but if you do, you will know exactly what to do.

After 10+ years of marriage, hearing my wife scream for me like that made my blood go cold. I knew something bad was going on and knew it couldn't wait. Thankfully everyone is okay. And for the record, my daughter is having grapes with her breakfast...cut into quarters.

Glad it all worked out for the best, Eric. Good idea to learn the Heimlich maneuver and CPR.

I only mention the Heimlich maneuver when I talk about what a car saleman
does to your wallet !

Charles

Eric, I had the exact same thing happen to me with my kid only it was a popcorn kernel. Thank god my job requires that sort of training. I second Eric's suggestion get CPR and get recert every year. It does help.

Thank god all went well Eric - our babies are close to the same age so i know what you're going through.

My wife is an RN - she's always emphasizing to me what to do in a situation like that - every so often we go over the "training."

Again, thank god all is OK!!!

About five years ago I had the exact same thing happen with our little granddaughter. My wife was standing at the kitchen sink washing grapes and little Luci asked for one. I was sitting at the table reading and the next thing I know the wife is flapping her arms like a dying chicken and yelling that Luci is chocking. After I got the grape out I turned around and reamed the wife out big time for just standing there yelling. I'm glad your story had a happy ending.

Agree with everything said (however, Charles in Oz the Heimlich Maneuver is 'out', no longer practiced in the medical setting).

Sometimes Joe, even the best training comes 'unstuck'. My wife and I are both RNs and thought we could handle every medical situation regarding our children. I've had over 10 years of intensive care experience and thought I had seen it all.

In 2000 my youngest son was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus Type I. My wife picked up on the most telling symptom, polyuria, at a very early stage, preventing ketoacidosis from occurring. Once we got over the initial shock (believe me it was a HUGE shock) we settled down and took all the monitoring of diabetes in our stride-Dextrometers, Insulin, injections, HbA1c, handing Hypoglycaemic episodes, etc, were accomplished with ease. TRAINING.

Then one morning we woke, convinced our three year old son's life was coming to an end. He displayed all the signs and symptoms of having had a stroke (CVA). Unable to speak, left-sided paralysis, unable to stand, facial droop, he had all the signs and symptoms. We both went to pieces.

Cutting a long story short, he made a quick spontaneous recovery in hospital. It took some time, but eventually a diagnosis was made, Todds Paresis ( It was almost like an episode of 'House'). We had never heard of it, neither had our paediatrician. The pathophysiology being that he had a severe 'Hypo' in the night, where cerebral blood sugars become so low that fitting occurs. The liver releases glycogen to restore blood glucose levels but if not dealt with, fitting will soon reoccur. Sequential episodes can lead to Todds Paresis in juveniles. And thats what must have happened overnight.

The in 2005 we both 'missed' vital signs and symptoms of my wifes cancer, despite all our 'training'.

Eric, I'm truly glad it all worked out, and your daughter is safe and well.

Sorry for rambling on.

American technology at its BEST, my son's COZMO insulin pump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back