[email protected] few questions...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Les and thanks for input + link. Works like a dream. Thanks again. ;) :thumbleft:
Took a couple of missions this morning, here's a few of the results - my fave's that last one, he's looking fine as he goes down in flames! :lol:

Attachments

• 109-0004.jpg
    109-0004.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 109-0010.jpg
    109-0010.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 109-0012.jpg
    109-0012.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 190-0014.jpg
    190-0014.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 88
Have u started messin around with the full mission builder yet??? Once u do, u'll forever be ruined....

Its extrememly addictive making ur own missions....

If and when u do, remember to click the check box for radio mute under each waypoint so u dont get that damn text at the top of the screen...

Oy Les? Thanks again for that IrfanView tip, it works like a charm - and on YouTube, too! :lol:
About IL2:
No, I haven't tried out the full mission builder yet - I'm still at Kindergarten Level, after taking a longer break from IL2. I'm dusting off my skills again, working with different setups on Easy.
When I master that, it's time to move on to next level, and so on. ;) :thumbleft:

And Beaup? Thanks. ;)

Attachments

• capture_25092009_1.jpg
    capture_25092009_1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 94
Update: Got the IL2:1946 from a buddy.
I do think it's time to move on to the next level now, and that'll be Normal lvl. ;)

My victories after the first game:

7332_142417304209_744099209_2423677_6334016_n.jpg

My "Sturdy Steed":

7332_142417299209_744099209_2423676_1299731_n.jpg

That must be a nasty way to die! :lol:

7332_142415989209_744099209_2423667_4967186_n.jpg

Nice shots Maria and 9 kills already!

BTW, here is a link to Mission4Today, a site almost every IL-2 player goes to. Skins, campaigns and everything you could ask for. Though you have to register to download their files.

-Arlo

Last edited:
Hi Pong and thanks. ;)
I'm already registered there, and busy reading up on things, plus downloading useful files - great IL2-site! :thumbleft:

Cheers,

Maria.

Hi BikerBabe :)

The Emil is definitely an excellent plane to learn on. Especially since in Il2 it has the hydromechanical auto management system in all models so you don't have to worry about setting prop pitch or fuel mixture. It's one touch flying and prop pitch/engine speed is automatically optimised for the throttle setting you choose (shown on the ata guage in the cockpit). Historically I don't think these features appeared until the Me109F-4 about October 1941.

A couple of pointers, as soon as you're able to handle the intense orgasmic fun of high immersion simming, make sure you set full realism in the options menu and start to fly these birds like it was the real thing. It multiplies the game experience by 100 and gives just a tiny hint of what it might've been like to try to fly and fight in these aircraft, playing the role of flight engineer, pilot and looking out for bandits all at once. Not easy but amazingly fun to try. What I usually do is set full realism, then deselect "no exterior views" and "cockpit padlock" so I can still pause to take screenies.

If using realism settings, make sure you only use both magnetos for take off and emergency settings (there's a 5 minute limit on these settings before the engine overheats, though usually this happens in more like 2 minutes), I've had magneto failures before so they are definitely modelled in game, and if you've got both magnetos on when you get a failure, you lose both and that means no spark for the engine. Basically a dead stick landing or a bail out.

Always look up the throttle and pitch settings of the aircraft you're flying and use them, Il2 generally attempts to model actual flight characteristics at the realism settings...within reason and the obvious limitations of a commercial game that isn't intended to be a physics program to make cosmological models. Sometimes it gets things wrong, but mosty general historical guidelines are followed, like a Spit MkIX has a +12lbs normal manifold rating and a +18lbs War Emergency Power rating which can be used for 5 minutes before overheating, whilst engine speeds are 3000rpm (pitch setting) for the high speed condition and say something like 2700rpm or 2500rpm for cruise settings (for which the auto prop pitch ratchet on the MkIX needs to be disengaged to manual control to set the pitch and throttle for best performance in cruising conditions, the auto settings only work well for combat). Stuff like that. What you then find is that you can cruise around the big maps in the Spit without running out of fuel before getting back to friendly airspace, and you discover the historical best cruise altitudes with lowest fuel consumption, etc. It becomes a fascinating and highly enjoyable experience overall.

Plus during combat, and when preparing for combat one of the most important things in these old warbirds is the temperature guages. Keeping your engine cool when you begin an engagement and knowing when you get away with running it a bit hot can mean the difference between having 1100hp available or only 850hp at the ready, which changes how tight you can turn, what your initial climb rates are and other important factors in combat manoeuvring. Also learn to use combat flaps for a/c fitted with them (British a/c usually aren't).

Life is much easier flying German fighters because they're optimised for automatic flight management all the time, part of their technological refinement (lower pilot workload, higher situational awareness...which helps offset things like a really horrible cockpit view in the Messers).

Anyways even though Il2 is more arcade game than true flight sim, it has elements of genuine simming and most of the time, if you set full realism options, flying its aircraft the way they're meant to be flown historically you do actually get the best performance out of them in the game, which is really nice to see and probably one of the reasons Il2 has remained so popular (plus the sheer variety of flyable a/c and more recently the modding community).

Here's some screens to illustrate realism flying in the Me109E...though have a look at the canopy frame, wing armament and cockpit layout, notice something different? hehe

Attachments

• za3.jpg
    za3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 72
  • za1.jpg
    za1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 75
  • za2.jpg
    za2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi BikerBabe :)

The Emil is definitely an excellent plane to learn on. Especially since in Il2 it has the hydromechanical auto management system in all models so you don't have to worry about setting prop pitch or fuel mixture. It's one touch flying and prop pitch/engine speed is automatically optimised for the throttle setting you choose (shown on the ata guage in the cockpit). Historically I don't think these features appeared until the Me109F-4 about October 1941.

A couple of pointers, as soon as you're able to handle the intense orgasmic fun of high immersion simming, make sure you set full realism in the options menu and start to fly these birds like it was the real thing. It multiplies the game experience by 100 and gives just a tiny hint of what it might've been like to try to fly and fight in these aircraft, playing the role of flight engineer, pilot and looking out for bandits all at once. Not easy but amazingly fun to try. What I usually do is set full realism, then deselect "no exterior views" and "cockpit padlock" so I can still pause to take screenies.

If using realism settings, make sure you only use both magnetos for take off and emergency settings (there's a 5 minute limit on these settings before the engine overheats, though usually this happens in more like 2 minutes), I've had magneto failures before so they are definitely modelled in game, and if you've got both magnetos on when you get a failure, you lose both and that means no spark for the engine. Basically a dead stick landing or a bail out.

Always look up the throttle and pitch settings of the aircraft you're flying and use them, Il2 generally attempts to model actual flight characteristics at the realism settings...within reason and the obvious limitations of a commercial game that isn't intended to be a physics program to make cosmological models. Sometimes it gets things wrong, but mosty general historical guidelines are followed, like a Spit MkIX has a +12lbs normal manifold rating and a +18lbs War Emergency Power rating which can be used for 5 minutes before overheating, whilst engine speeds are 3000rpm (pitch setting) for the high speed condition and say something like 2700rpm or 2500rpm for cruise settings (for which the auto prop pitch ratchet on the MkIX needs to be disengaged to manual control to set the pitch and throttle for best performance in cruising conditions, the auto settings only work well for combat). Stuff like that. What you then find is that you can cruise around the big maps in the Spit without running out of fuel before getting back to friendly airspace, and you discover the historical best cruise altitudes with lowest fuel consumption, etc. It becomes a fascinating and highly enjoyable experience overall.

Hi Vanir and thanks for the input.
...eeermmm....fish. :shock: :scratch:
Okay, "throttle" is like the gas handle on the motorcycle, right?
Gotta look up "pitch" and the rest in the dictionary; when it comes to tech english, my english is almost nonexistent and pretty much limited to "Where's the nearest gas station", "Where can I get a new front tyre?" and "Is the coffee any good here?" :shock:

Plus during combat, and when preparing for combat one of the most important things in these old warbirds is the temperature guages. Keeping your engine cool when you begin an engagement and knowing when you get away with running it a bit hot can mean the difference between having 1100hp available or only 850hp at the ready, which changes how tight you can turn, what your initial climb rates are and other important factors in combat manoeuvring. Also learn to use combat flaps for a/c fitted with them (British a/c usually aren't).

Aaaah, that's like riding one of the older water-cooled inline three or four cylindered BMW K-models at the annual opening of Bakken - they tend to overheat too. :lol:

Life is much easier flying German fighters because they're optimised for automatic flight management all the time, part of their technological refinement (lower pilot workload, higher situational awareness...which helps offset things like a really horrible cockpit view in the Messers).

Anyways even though Il2 is more arcade game than true flight sim, it has elements of genuine simming and most of the time, if you set full realism options, flying its aircraft the way they're meant to be flown historically you do actually get the best performance out of them in the game, which is really nice to see and probably one of the reasons Il2 has remained so popular (plus the sheer variety of flyable a/c and more recently the modding community).

Okay. ;)

Here's some screens to illustrate realism flying in the Me109E...though have a look at the canopy frame, wing armament and cockpit layout, notice something different? hehe

If you hadn't said it, I probably wouldn't have noticed. ;) :oops: :D
I'm still at "Hm, I wonder what all those thingys are for - well they're prolly s'posed to be there anyway..."-level.
In other words, I fly, aim, shoot and work on not getting downed in the process. :lol:
Anyway thanks again for the input and the advice, I'll work on your reply with my english dictionary handy. ;)

Cheers,

Maria.

Hi BB :)

I know these may be borderline translations, but perhaps they might help in figuring out the control options if you happen to fly your machine in advanced mode...

Engine Throttle: motorbrændstof løftestang this is kind of obvious :lol:

Propellor Pitch: increased pitch adjusts the blades for more "bite", so your Pitch is the "vinkle" or angle of the propellor. If you were to fly a Bf110 and recieved damage to the right engine, you could shut the engine down, and "feather" or reduce the angle of the propellor, so it didn't create drag, and the remaining engine wouldn't have to work as hard to get you out of harm's way, and on to home. So adjusting the pitch can assist in many ways, from climbing to altitude, to conserving fuel on long missions and even to "coasting"...

Trim: flyvekontrol overflade trim fanen You have "tabs" (on most aircraft) that extend or retract according you your adjustments. These are found on most flight control surfaces such as the tail rudder, aerlerons and elevators. If you are flying due north for example, and the plane wants to drift to the left, you adjust the right trim tab out (extend) a little, and the aircraft will compensate for that. Otherwise you'd have to constantly adjust your aircraft with your "stick" which becomes tiresome on a long flight.

Hope these explanations were helpful for ya', and not too much of a "dum oversættelse" :lol:

Hi GG and thanks for your translations, that helped me quite a bit along the way.
Maybe with the possible exception of the "motorbrændstof løftestang", which - when translated back to english - becomes a "motor fuel lift rod". But I think I get the basic idea - you push or pull the lever, and then you increase or decrease the amount of fuel injected into the engine, or something like that?

Prop pitch: Got it - it's the angle of the propeller that you can in- or decrease, depending on needs, right?

Trim: Got it. On the last few missions my 109 kept drifting slightly to the port side when I let go of the stick, which means that I have to trim the bugger.

And no, it wasn't a dum oversættelse, I think I got the message.
Thanks again. ;) :thumbleft:

Cheers,

Maria.

Hi GG and thanks for your translations, that helped me quite a bit along the way.
Maybe with the possible exception of the "motorbrændstof løftestang", which - when translated back to english - becomes a "motor fuel lift rod". But I think I get the basic idea - you push or pull the lever, and then you increase or decrease the amount of fuel injected into the engine, or something like that?
That's right, the fuel control lever...translating that turned out to be interesting :lol:
Prop pitch: Got it - it's the angle of the propeller that you can in- or decrease, depending on needs, right?
Yes indeed!
Trim: Got it. On the last few missions my 109 kept drifting slightly to the port side when I let go of the stick, which means that I have to trim the bugger.
Yep! I think that translated fairly well...but that feature is pretty simple to master in the advanced flying mode :)
And no, it wasn't a dum oversættelse, I think I got the message.
Thanks again. ;) :thumbleft:

Cheers,

Maria.
Well, I know how great translators can be, so I just wanted to make sure I got the translations pretty close, instead of saying something like:
"make tall adjustment to square of cheese" or "extend short cow in red building"
pi_freak.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back