Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thatpoorguy

Recruit
Feb 15, 2009
wichita falls, tx
I've been air national guard/reserves for 5 years as an AGE troop, I'm now also working AGE for a contracted company that does maintance for the predator. I'm currently here in the sandbox and when I'm not out turning wrenches, I spose I'll be on here.

thanks all, yeah i'm at balad. This is my third trip to iraq, 2nd to balad and one to tallil. I should apply for residency considering I'm here more than home haha.

thanks all, yeah i'm at balad. This is my third trip to iraq, 2nd to balad and one to tallil. I should apply for residency considering I'm here more than home haha.

I know what you are talking about. I got tired of being deployed and decided to serve the home front! :lol:

I used to fly into Balad every day to pick up pacs. Went to Tallil a few times.

Keep safe over there!

tallil was awful lol. that's the closest thing to a bare base I've been to. Our company has another base in afganistan that's supposedly worse (completely army operated) but i haven't been sent there yet. The one good thing about my trip to tallil was my discovery of a massive collection of pictures soldiers had taken around country, which I promptly copied to my portable hard drive. due to new rules in comsec i can't hook it up to the computer and upload them on here till i get home, but there's some amazing stuff on there.

Welcome thatpoorguy!

I am a just retired Citizen Soldier that has been in the sand box too! I was at Camp Victory, BIAP, and Mosul. My National Guard Company is Signal Corps. So life was different for me and the team I was part of. Not only did we do our signal mission, but we did "This Old House, Iraq"! By that we were given a looted house and had to make a home out of it. But it was sure better than living in a tent! By the time we would get it going pretty good, we would have to move! But for a while living was pretty good! And it beat the Connex boxes we had in Mosul!

It ain't ever easy some days wearing the uniform! I hear you on the long and too frequent tours. But it has been worse for our military on other wars. And now things are quieter over there than when I left. And that is good news for you. But you still have to keep your guard up 24/7 in the sand box!

So be safe. And post as often as duty will let you!

Bill G.

lol rodge and thanks guys. luckily the insurgents don't know where the predator area is yet. they are pretty keen though on where the primary f-16 maintenance area and ammo are though. Seen a few mortars goin off but none too terribly close. anyone stationed at carswell? I'm with the air national guard unit there with the herc's when I'm not doing contracting.

lol rodge and thanks guys. luckily the insurgents don't know where the predator area is yet. they are pretty keen though on where the primary f-16 maintenance area and ammo are though. Seen a few mortars goin off but none too terribly close. anyone stationed at carswell? I'm with the air national guard unit there with the herc's when I'm not doing contracting.

They had the fingers at Balad pegged for a while too while I was there. We left a Hawk sitting on the fingers to get some lunch while we waited on our pacs. When we returned the aircraft was filled with holes from a rockets hitting about 50 yards away!

I can't verify the truth of it, but rumor had it that a blackhawk came back from a mission from which a rpg had been fired at it. The rpg was a dud but did manage to lodge itself between the liquid ox tanks. The crew bailed with the rotors still spinning as soon as they landed on base lol. Like I said, it sounds a little far fetched but this was what I heard. You know how those stories go sometimes.

I can't verify the truth of it, but rumor had it that a blackhawk came back from a mission from which a rpg had been fired at it. The rpg was a dud but did manage to lodge itself between the liquid ox tanks. The crew bailed with the rotors still spinning as soon as they landed on base lol. Like I said, it sounds a little far fetched but this was what I heard. You know how those stories go sometimes.

Liquid O2 tanks????

The possibility of a RPG not exploding is real. We had several go right under us and impact the ground and never explode, but the Blackhawk does not have Liquid O2 tanks (at least not any of the Blackhawk I ever worked on).

like i said, it was a story i heard lol. now i know it's bs though thanks! haha. oh, btw, i've been copying pictures fromt the breaking news thread.......it's all i have out here haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back