nice ride

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well these are some wild X wind landings I don't ever recall watching the undercarriage adjusting like these guys do

Attachments

• crosswind_764.wmv
    3 MB · Views: 59
Seriously Impressive landings.
I once had a conversation with our Gliding Instructor about crosswinds. On that day we had winds of 30 knots gusting to 35-40 knots, 90 degrees to the grass strip. I knew that our local airport was closed to all but the largest aircraft due to crosswinds as I had a friend due to fly and she phoned to tell me they were grounded. However it was decided that we would fly but only with an instructor.
I admit I was more than a little nervous and as we waited to launch I told the instructor that I knew that Southend Airport was closed to most traffic due to crosswinds. Obviously I knew that aircraft had limitations on crosswind landings and takeoffs and asked what the limitations were on the K13 we were in. His words stuck in my mind. 'Son, Of course Gliders have limitations, we just haven't found them yet.'

It was a wild ride and I can claim to have flown a Glider backwards. The landing was also fun with the nose close to 45 degrees to the strip until touchdown when we had to get the nose around at the last second without putting a wing down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back