nice ride

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D said:
If you were to build a new Lightning that was truely just an update of the Lightning, such as improved materials and improved engines etc. etc. then, yes, it's a Lightning. But it's not going to be built for personal use! And it's not going to be any kind of original Lightning - so it's not going to be the Lightning I love that served from 1960-1988.

If you got an old Lightning that was built in the 1960s, and started changing everything on it ...then it's no longer a Lightning, even if it looks the same. The only way a Lightning that's been rebuilt stays a Lightning, is if you built it the same way, with only MINOR material changes solely for safety purposes and built it exactly the same. To keep it even more real, pay BAe to pull out the old drawings and have them rebuild it! Highly unlikely anyone could them to do that ...but still. And to be a REAL original it has to be old ...you wouldn't build a GT40 Mk.IV (1969) to the exact same specs and call it a GT40 Mk.IV 1969, would you? It's not built in 1969 - so you can't! A new Lightning would have to be a Lightning Mk.7...then it's not original.

I disagree. If you build a new Lightning and it has new avionix and engine and weapons systems it is still a Lightning just a different version. For example the F-14D had different engines than the F-14B. It had different avionix packages but it was still an F-14. Therefore the Lightning would still be a Lightning. Thats just the way I look at it.

That's what I said in the first paragraph and also in the last sentence. If it was a brand new Lightning with improved aspects but still had the basic principals of the Lightning - then it'd be a Lightning Mk.7 or something. It still wouldn't be an original 1960-1988 Lightning though.

i hope no else has posted this israeli f15 minus wing

Attachments

• picture11_100.jpg
    picture11_100.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 328
Pisis: This is all I could find. It was pretty amazing!

In the summer of 1983, an Israeli F-15 staged a mock dogfight with Skyhawks for training purposes, near Nahal Tzin in the Negev desert. During the exercise, one of the Skyhawks miscalculated and collided forcefully with the F-15's wing root. The F-15's pilot was aware that the wing had been seriously damaged, but decided to try and land in a nearby airbase. It was only after he had landed, when he climbed out of the cockpit and looked backward, that the pilot realized what had happened: the wing had been completely torn off the plane, and he had landed the plane with only one wing attached. A few months later, the damaged F-15 had been given a new wing, and returned to operational duty in the squadron. The engineers at McDonnell Douglas had a hard time believing the story of the one-winged landing: as far as their planning models were concerned, this was an impossibility.
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/f-15/F-15.htm

In May of 1983, an Israeli F-15 was successfully landed after losing
most of its starboard wing in an inflight collision. The plane was
repaired and put back into service.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/history/marshall/military/airforce/f_series_fighters/f15.13
100031.jpg

Thanks for the info, Gnomey! :computer:
That's some interesting reading. Hell I don't understand how he could make it! :salute:

power is how he did it but he sure must
of landed hot no flaps probably about 160 knots or more it doesn't even look like he used his arrestor hook

evangilder said:
F-15s don't have arresting hooks.
are you sure i can't find pis with enough detail but i did find this
adobe with instructions for barrier engagement
http:7.3. Takeoff Aborts.
7.3.1. If aborting the takeoff, clear to the appropriate side of the runway as expeditiously as possible based
on position within the element. If this is not feasible because of possible cable engagement, clear straight
ahead. As soon as practical, give callsign and state intentions. Call "Cable, Cable, Cable" to indicate a
departure-end arrestment. Following aircraft hold their position, abort or takeoff as appropriate to maintain
adequate clearance.
7.3.2. When applying the brakes above 120 KIAS during a takeoff abort, or hot brakes are suspected;
declare a ground emergency, taxi the aircraft to the designated hot brake area, and follow hot brake
procedures.
7.3.3. (ACC/ANG) If aborting a takeoff at or above 100 KIAS, lower the tailhook. If aborting below
100 KIAS, lower the tailhook if there is any doubt about the ability to stop on the runway.//www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/15V3.pdf

Mea culpa. You are correct. Funny, we had F-15s come into Lakenheath on a regular basis in my days there (We had f-111s at the time) and I had never seen one on them. I sent a note to one of my old buddies about it after your first post and got a reply:
The hooks are generally spring loaded and retained by explosive bolt until deployed. They are not hydraulically controlled and once
extended they must be re-cocked by maintenance.

I knew the F-111s had hooks and always believed they were legacy leftover from it's Navy trials days. But we had cables on the runway at Lakenheath that did get used on occasion as the F-111 did not have reverse thrust. So if the brakes got hot ob the pre-takeoff runup, which they often did, they would use to cables to come to a stop. It wasn't near as violent a stop as a carrier though.

A superb video. I have been fortunate to be in a Hunter at 50ft of the sea but a lot of these guys were lower than that and the roll at the end, sent shivers through me

all fighters That I'm aware of have arrestor hooks and most military runways have arrestor cables at either end of the runway and are usually about 1500-1000ft from threshold a flapless approach or brake failure would necessitate the use of cables especially if drag chutes don't deploy or if they have to abort on take off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back