No Place on Earth

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was shocked that I have never heard of this story and wondered if it was fiction or a supposedly "true story" to prey on peoples emotions for monetary gain. We've all heard the amazing stories of how Jews were hidden in clever and sophisticated ways. But this...

I can't imagine. :shock:

Was just wondering what others might have heard. I noted that one of the survivors indicated they had a pact of sorts to keep quiet about their ordeal. Kinda raised a red flag with me for some reason.

I heard about it about a year ago on National Geographic, but I had no idea it was being made in a movie. I also had not heard where the caves had been sealed for a couple of days.

This actually looks pretty interesting.

"... I came out and there were the Americans ..."

In the Western Ukraine ..... in what history ??
I read this about the end of thier ordeal (From the Daily Mail UK):
What the family had and prized above anything was their freedom - they had escaped the invading forces, and they would continue to do so for more than 500 days.

During that time, Esther Stermer had to defend her family once, when German SS soldiers raided the first cave.

Coming face-to-face with the men they had lived in fear of for so long, Mrs Stermer held her ground, despite the fact they were pointing guns at her.

Sam Stermer said: 'And she says "What are you afraid of here? The Fuhrer is gonna lose the war because we live here?"'

Saul and Sam Stermer, seen here in the film, say they would not have survived without their determined mother. The soldiers left, never to return, and finally, in April 1944, the Russians liberated the area and the hidden families were able to climb out of the cave into the light.

Last year the Stermer brothers returned to the cave for the first time, for the film. They told how after the war, they travelled to Canada and set up a business, which they still run there.

Today the survivors and offspring of those who hid in the Ukrainian caves number more than 125, and the film, which will be on limited release in the U.S. today and will be released in Germany next month, tells the story of their courage.

Their survival is the longest uninterrupted underground survival in recorded human history

A couple of these survivors were interviewed on CBC Radio's As it Happens a few earlier this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back