North Central Airlines DC-3 cr. 1966

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been too busy to do much on this one lately but put in some time the last couple of days.
Sprayed it white using square bottle Testors flat white, masked off the upper fuselage and tail fin which will remain white and sprayed on the base coat of Floquil old silver. I'll give it at least few days to cure and start masking panels for the bright silver.

20221024_201146.jpg
20221024_205818.jpg

Hello T Bolt,
A technical question please. Not having built plastic kits since the early 70s I am a bit out of the loop. Why did you undercoat/prime with white rather than silver?

Hello T Bolt,
A technical question please. Not having built plastic kits since the early 70s I am a bit out of the loop. Why did you undercoat/prime with white rather than silver?
If I may, metal colors would normally use a black primer as it brightens the metallic color, using a white will, if you will, dull the metallic colors down. Gives is a more worn look. Also using a gloss primer brings out the shine and a flat also dulls it.

With the Floquil paints (Old Silver and Bright Silver) that I use, a primer does not really change the color as they are very opaque. I used a primer more so I could check the surface for scratches from all the filing and sanding that was done. I used the flat white because the upper portion of the fuselage in this paint scheme is white so I just masked it off before the silver. Also the Testors square bottle white is still readily available and I don't have to dip into my diminishing stocks of Model Master while I still desperately hang on to my use of enamels.

Yesterday I was working on the masking for the second shade of silver with the intention of spraying it on last night. wile putting on the last piece of masking it slipped out of my hands and was heading to the floor. On reflex I pushed my legs together to catch it which I did, but cracked the port wing joint in the process, so It didn't get painted last night. The wing has been re-glued and should be alright with a bit of sanding the joints. At least the joints are all in areas which are covered with the second shade of silver so no respraying of the first coat will be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back