North Central Airlines DC-3 cr. 1966

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
North Central Airlines was a regional airline in the northern midwest founded as Wisconsin Central Airlines in Wisconsin in 1944. North Central's headquarters were moved to Minneapolis–St. Paul in 1952. A merger in 1979 with to Southern Airways changed the airline's name to Republic Airlines, which in turn was merged into Northwest Airlines in 1986. Northwest Airlines was then merged into Delta Air Lines in 2010.

North Central bought there first DC-3's in 1948 and continued there use into the mid 1960's

I'm using the old Airfix 1/72nd​ DC-3 kit which isn't half bad, and Pointerdog7 decals.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

The kit can be built as either the cargo version or the airliner version. A block off panel is included to close off the cargo door, and doesn't fit too bad, but still needs great care in lineing it up when glueing and them filler and re-scribing.

Here's before and after shots. It actually turned out much better than it looks in the picture and should not be noticeable once I get paint on it.

I also got the wings glued together.

20220615_161944.jpg
20220615_204022.jpg
20220615_204122.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a little boy, I would watch the North Central "Blue Goose" DC-3's on approach to the Eau Claire airport from Minneapolis standing on the hill behind the farmhouse. The sound and the sight imprinted that plane on my brain to be as near perfect as possible to imagine. The later DC-9s were just noisy & dirty by comparison.

I look forward to seeing it complete :cool:

I took a ride on one at an airshow 20 some years ago and remember being amazed at how much legroom they gave the passengers

Last edited:
Oh yes Glenn, they were the days, now I'm lucky if my knees don't push against the seat in front and if they decide to recline in front...................................... o_O
That's merely annoying for me. My fat butt is too wide for even the "comfort" class these days. If there's someone next to me, well I'm just glad I was a lot younger when I took sardine class across the Pacific...

When I flew to Thailand in steerage, I would fill the three small clear plastic bottles with vodka. I would take them out of my carry-on when going through security and declare them when asked. I had an understanding doctor who prescribed valium for me. I would buy the overpriced airport orange juice and "fortify" it while waiting. Upon boarding, I took the valium, put on a sleep mask, face mask and noise cancelling headphones as I sat by the window seat. If I timed it right I would wake up over the Sea of Japan.
Had to wait 40 minutes for the plane to catch up once.

Nice to see Herman the Duck going onto a Build. Being an ex Republic/Northwest Mechanic it brings back memories. The DC-3 at the Henry Ford Museum should have stayed in those colors IMO. Not the Northwest Colors that went onto it in the most recent "restoration"

Nice work so far!

On one flight to New York from New Orleans, an obviously well sedated passenger commented, "Oh GOD' when the captain announced our speed and a MUCH louder "Oh GOD" when the captain said we were at 33,000 feet.

December of 1960 I caught a Trans Texas Airlines (TTA) from Barksdale to New Orleans on a DC-3 and the most memorable part of the flight was the stewardess who was so tall she had to bend her head walking down the isle. The regional airlines gave opportunity to those outside of major specs. A comment by my USAF buddy, 5FT 5IN tall, with me commented he likes tall women because when you were nose to nose your toes were in it and when you were toes to toes your nose was in it.
Mods may edit if needed.

When I was a little boy, I would watch the North Central "Blue Goose" DC-3's on approach to the Eau Claire airport from Minneapolis standing on the hill behind the farmhouse. The sound and the sight imprinted that plane on my brain to be as near perfect as possible to imagine. The later DC-9s were just noisy & dirty by comparison.

I look forward to seeing it complete :cool:
They would fly over our house enroute to MSP. By the time I worked ATC in Duluth, they were gone, replaced by Convair 58O's and DC-9's. Can't wait to see the finished aircraft - very nice.

Had a DC-3 fly over the house and land at the local airport this morning. The Flightradar24 app never picked it up. It was orange on the topside and below the cheat-line, silver or white. It may have belonged to Kenn Borek Air

Users who are viewing this thread

Back