not enough credit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

elmilitaro

Senior Airman
May 12, 2005
Texas
Hey guys, what plane do ya'll feel that didn't recieve enough credit during WW2?

The Yak 9

http://www.shadetreeusa.com/yak9.htm

06-25-01.jpg

http://www.aafo.com/gallery/06-25-01.htm

I think that may depend on who you talk to and where they are from. I would say in the US, many people do not give credit to the Lancaster. I would say that it is likely one that most people don't think too much about when talking WWII airplanes, the C-47. When people talk about WWII aircraft, they often speak of fighters and bombers while omitting the guys that "haul ass and trash".

Thanks!

I remember reading some crap books when I was a kid implying that the Lysander was crap - think of all the rescues, spies dropped, etc., this little airplane did!

My list would include:
1. P-61
2. Lysander
3. The other Allied heavy bombers besides the 'Fort and the 'Lancs. Even the B-24 is still not given much credit.
4. F-4 recon version of the Lightning
5. The Hawker Tempest
6. L-5
7. Storch
8. Vought Kingfisher
9. The Oscar (always overshadowed by the Zero)
10. French Bombers (JUST KIDDING) :twisted:

Hee Hee

:{)

How about the trainers the DH82 AT6 the Arados Ansons Cessnas Beechs and Ryans that were used to train the pilots and aircrew for without them their wouldn't be pilots to fly the "glamorous birds"

pbfoot said:
How about the trainers the DH82 AT6 the Arados Ansons Cessnas Beechs and Ryans that were used to train the pilots and aircrew for without them their wouldn't be pilots to fly the "glamorous birds"
Agree - the Anson is another aircraft that seems to be abused by many armchair aviators....

Also many Japanese airframes were also not give enough credit. We seem only to focus on the Zero/Zeke cult.

:{)

Some of the "classically" underestimated aircraft (but not by knowledgeable enthusiasts):

- Bf 110

- Ju 87

And that amazing german reconaissance airplane, which had the cockpit on one side, and the engine/fuselage on the other (Bloehm und Voss?). The german pilots seemed to dislike it, for they felt that it couldn't possibly fly right, due to its unorthodox configuration.

The japanese planes, other than the zero, of course.

Sorry for just knowing about axis aircraft.:)

Jap planes, many of them were more advanced than the american's just that they were powered by the Homare

IMO the 109G-K also,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back