Nuuumannn's quick trip to Reno!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

But no Dread Sled, which from a photographic point of view was a real shame. That airplane always photographed well...

I would'a loved to have seen Dreadnought fly, but I didn't arrive until Thursday, after it had its engine fail the day before. It remained at the races, though, so was great to see in person. As I mentioned in the post, until its incident, it was a two-horse race between it and Bardahl.

Today we spotlight a special warbird in the heritage row, PV-2 Harpoon Bu No. 84062.

_ADP7229

Here is a relevant bit of the aircraft's history, there's a link on that page to the Warbird Information Exchange site that describes its restoration from a fire bomber back to its WW2 configuration:

Owned and operated by the Stockton Field Aviation Museum, the PV-2 was flown to Reno by its 101-year-old veteran pilot Pat Pattesen, who was on hand to answer questions about the aircraft and its operational record. I got a good look around the aircraft. The payload bay was open for the duration.

_ADP7230

Flight deck and controls.

_ADP7234

_ADP7231

Space behind the flight deck with the radio operator's seat to the left, the hydraulic reservoir in front of it and wobble pump for emergency hydraulic pressure to the right. The red handle on the console at centre is the emergency fuel pump, with fuel tank selector switches.

_ADP7236

Radio operator's desk.

_ADP7237

Navigator's fold up seat and avionics rack.

_ADP7240

Navigator's desk.

_ADP7241

Radar operator's console.

_ADP7242

Looking into the rear fuselage with the rear observer's position. In the PV-1 (Ventura), this was armed with a gun. Note the camera to the bottom right and mid upper turret at top.

_ADP7244

The dunny, right next to the radar operator's desk.

_ADP7245

Looking up into the Martin 250 CE-7 electric top turret, with its control unit in the foreground.

_ADP7246

Egress door with casing for a life raft fitted to it.

_ADP7247

Details of note...

_ADP7248

_ADP7249

_ADP7251

_ADP7253

_ADP7254

_ADP7257

_ADP7258

That's the Harpoon, the only example of its type maintained in flying condition. Next, we head out to the pylons for some action shots.

Thanks, everyone for continuing on my Reno journey with me. From here we reach the meat and potatoes of my photographic adventure, shooting out at the pylons. This was difficult as you'll see and despite the quality of some of my images, they were hard to get for various reasons. Approach speed and height are the main difficulties to overcome. These aircraft were at times within a couple of hundred feet from us doing between 200 and 500 miles an hour, gone past within seconds. You have to be good at panning, while staying very still, with your camera gear set up absolutely right, otherwise you're just gonna miss everything fiddling about changing settings, as I found myself doing.

My first shots were okay-ish, but gradually I got better. I could not hold the camera still enough at low shutter speeds to get good prop blur, so my Unlimited shots, although sharp, were taken at high shutter speeds (between 1/500 to 1/800). All my attempts at lower shutter speeds were failures. I normally shoot at around 1/250 to 1/320 at airshows, often going down to below 1/100 for aircraft on the ground. There was no way I could do that here. Photographing the jets was also made harder because of their proximity and velocity and at nominally high shutter speeds I use for shooting jets I found some of my shots were blurred. Initial results were discouraging, but I did manage to get some gems...

Pylon Two. We took a bus to get here and we were out for six hours, so we had to take provisions with us. I took a fold-up chair and plenty of refreshments and sunscreen, which was liberally shared with others as there was no shelter from the sun. Luckily on Saturday, there was a bit of overcast, as we'll see. The vehicles and portaloos were the judges' who had to sit out here for the duration. We weren't allowed to go beyond the concrete block to the right.

_ADP7273

The airfield from Pylon Two. The pylon is located on a plateau, which offers terrific views, but the heat haze made photographing distances difficult. You can make out the P4Y Privateer's big tail to the right of the control tower at left.

_ADP7274

My first attempt at photographing aircraft in proximity to the pylon to get that classic shot. It was virtually impossible, so I gave up. The aircraft is blurred; not a promising start...

_ADP7293

It was easier to photograph the aircraft speeding away from us... This was a Sport Class heat, with RV-Super 6 Race 49 "Rocket Six" flown by Bob Mills.

_ADP7309

A good angle on Lancair Legacy Race 92 "Top Shelf" flown by David Robinson.

_ADP7310

Slightly blurred Lancair Legacy Race 52 "Aquila" flown by Colleen Sterling.

_ADP7323

Group shots are exciting. Glasair III Race 23 "Reno Bear" flown by Bijan Maleki leads Lancair Legacy Race 6 "Ramp Rat's Ride" flown by Joseph Corragio.

_ADP7326

Steady capture of Top shelf.

_ADP7336

Reno Bear overtakes Rocket Six against a dramatic cloud formation.

_ADP7338

Best of this lot so far, LEG-2 Race 21 "Blackjack" flown by Alan R. Crawford and F-1 Rocket Evo Race 96 "Sarah Smile" flown by William Christopher McMillan battle it out.

_ADP7342

Bear in mind, these are the best images I took. There are a lot I am not posting!

That Sport Class was a practise run. Now, my first taste of photographing the Unlimiteds. Cameras at the ready. This is Bunny heading straight at us, nice and low and real fast.

_ADP7352

_ADP7354

Thunderbird. I missed quite a few shots fiddling with shutter speeds and this was done at the higher end. Dramatic clouds emphasise the speed factor.

_ADP7363

Sweet & Lovely looking, well, sweet and lovely...

_ADP7400

Man O'War.

_ADP7407

Lady Jo.

_ADP7433

Sweet & Lovely again.

_ADP7467

Rounding off this batch, a close-in shot of Bunny. My favourite shot taken on the whole of Saturday.

_ADP7484

Next up, T-6s and jets...

Wonderful stuff, Grant -- I'm glad the unlimiteds are here at last.

I had to laugh at your take on the classic "raceplane with pylon in the picture" shot! For me these were always very low percentage shots that were not worth striving for. I have a few, but most were actually taken by chance and accident as I was following a racer across the sky.

You dealt very well with the shadow side of the airplane problem -- most people leave the shadows too dark -- your methods work great. I decided long ago not to worry too much about prop blur. In my later Renos I mostly shot at 1/320 or even faster and let the props do what they were gonna do. Serious sharpness was always more important to me that a pretty prop blur. Even at the higher shutter speeds my percentage of really sharp shots was not great.

You should try this stuff with ISO 64 film and a manual focus lens! I marvel at these modern tools...

Great work -- I hope more is coming.

Now for some T-6 action. For some reason I only got a couple of shots in this race. I must have been just watching the action rather than photographing it. The T-6s were quite visceral and with Reno being in a bowl their noise travelled a long way. The line up past the start tower. From L to R, Baron's Revenge, Six Cat, Radial Velocity, Midnight Miss III, Gunslinger, and Abracadabra. I get more photos of all these aircraft on Sunday.

_ADP7497

Taken around a second later, note how the aircraft have positioned themselves to do battle. That's British photographer Martin Willis out front lining up the shot.

_ADP7498

A couple of close-ups of Midnight Miss III.

_ADP7550

_ADP7561

Radial Velocity catching the sun.

_ADP7567

_ADP7571

Some jet action. Texas Fouga starting out front.

_ADP7600

Spirit of Freedom hugging the course.

_ADP7620

_ADP7633

Miss Independance...

_ADP7643

_ADP7653

Alpine Thunder and its Estonian colour scheme looking flash.

_ADP7681

Battle of the Slavs, Phoenix and its Slovak Republic markings.

_ADP7691

_ADP7693

_ADP7694

The Aussie battler again. Some of my shots were looking a lot like previous ones.

_ADP7674

_ADP7703

Alpine Thunder rounding off this set.

_ADP7708

Next up, more Sport Class and Unlimited action.

So, continuing on with Reno, We catch the second Sport Class heats for today. These guys were great. I didn't pay them any mind on the ground, but in the air they came alive and I was able to appreciate their pace and pizzaz. This was the best way to capture them as well. Getting them from the airport would have been hard because of their size. They were quick, too and got real close, enabling some great photographic opportunities.

SH-34 Race 34 White Lightning flown by John Flanagan.

_ADP7759

Lancair Legacy Race 2 Modo Mio flown by Vince Walker.

_ADP7795

White Lightning on the backside of the pylon.

_ADP7803

Lancair Legacy Racew 45 KXP Racing flown by Doug Glover.

_ADP7816

Glassair Race 10 Cruize Missile flown by Timothy Slater.

_ADP7839

KXP Racing taking the turn.

_ADP7847

_ADP7850

Now for some more Unlimiteds. Miss Marvel in the flyover formation.

_ADP7876

Swamp Fox coming and going.

_ADP7882

_ADP7883

Africa Korps-eye view of the RAF-decked out Sneak Attack.

_ADP7887

Miss America with her radiator door wide open.

_ADP7959

51 turning hard.

_ADP7923

Boise Bee presenting her profile.

_ADP7936

Tightly cropped Blondie. I just about chopped her nose off...

_ADP7991

Tight on Miss America.

_ADP8010

Close in on 51.

_ADP8023

Wee Willy II.

_ADP8030

Boise Bee.

_ADP8016

Finally in this set, Miss Marvel.

_ADP8070

Next, more action from the Sport category.

Users who are viewing this thread