Nuuumannn's UK Tour of 2018

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great shots Grant !
The Hampden has come a long way since i last visited the Sir Michael Beetham Conservation center. Like Karl, i love Cosford, and the staff are helpful, allowing close-up views if asked.

Yep, Terry, the staff were very helpful. I had asked in advance if I could view the Defiant close up, to which they said yes, so that was good. That day there was an RAF prize giving in the transport hangar, which was closed, so couldn't go in there and there were several school parties, so the place was packed. Whilst photographing the Daffy, I asked to do a few more, so they let me loose on the Ju 88, Me 262, Black 6 and the Ki-46. All I had time for. Had to look round the museum. The Hampden is almost ready for final assembly. It's tailplane is complete and there's still a bit of work to do on its wings, but it's not far off finished. Y'know, 90 percent done, still 90 percent to go.

On with the show. We spent two days at the Greatest Military Airshow in the World; RIAT didn't disappoint. We had tickets to the Cotswolds Club, sort of like a Gold Pass, so we had a cordoned off area and tables and chairs and free meals, which were very good, I must say. The flying, well that was something else.

The Pakistani Air Force Herc shamelessly trying to win the Concours de Elegance award for the best presented static display aircraft (it was won by a privately owned ex-Luftwaffe OV-10 Bronco).

1307 RIAT PAF Herc

The French appeared in the flying display in force, with several entries, all impressing greatly. This Mirage duo was joined by duo and solo Rafale displays.

1307 RIAT Mirage duo

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight were there, with all their aeroplanes, their classic formation being a favourite at British airshows for decades now.

1307 RIAT BBMF

This Grizzly put on a spirited display, but my photos didn't come out so well owing to the haze around.

1307 RIAT Atlas

The USAF were keen to show off its new toy; the F-35 getting airborne an a few occasions for demonstrations at RIAT and other shows on that weekend.

1307 RIAT F-35

Somewhat surprisingly after the fantastic summer we had been having, it rained during the flying display, which pushed us under a marquee. Afterwards, when the rains stopped, this RCAF Hornet wowed with its bright colour scheme.

1307 RIAT RCAF Hornet

The solo jet displays were to an exceptionally high calibre, with one of the most exciting being Solo Turk.

1307 RIAT TAF F-16

For me, my favourite was this CV-22 Osprey; the USAF again showing off its toys, with a Special Forces variant of the beast. A very impressive display, too.

1307 RIAT CV-22 landing

There was one in the static park, too and I even got to sit in its cockpit!

1307 RIAT CV-22 flying

More RIAT tomorrow.

The next day was another full day at RIAT, and the weather was clear. I spent the morning wandering round the static park, which was huge, whereas the day before I spent the whole day watching the flying. I'm pleased as the V-22 didn't fly on Saturday, and on Friday the Battle of Britain Flight didn't do its full diplay either.

In the static park, Commonwealth countries showed their support (except New Zealand!); one of the guys on the tour was excited as he worked for Boeing Australia, respoonsible for this Wedgetail AEW airframe.

1407 RIAT Wedgetail

The B-1B never fails to impress from any angle.

1407 RIAT B-1B

The Ukrainians brought a music ensemble, performing native music and dance, but I was more interested in the Il-78 behind.

1407 RIAT Il-78

Vipers still rule in Europe.

1407 RIAT F-16s

During the formation displays, the Spanish Patruilla Aguila, with their enthusiastic commentary and formation landing impressed everyone.

1407 RIAT Team Aguila

The Trenchard Formation. Extraordinary sight and sound.

1407 RIAT Trenchard Formation

Lanc and Dak do a tailchase.

1407 RIAT BBMF heavies

The RAF's newly delivered F-35B does its party trick.

1407 RIAT RAF F-35

The Ukrainians flew their Su-27 like no one was watching.

1407 RIAT Su-27

Of course, the Americans know how to gate crash a party.

1407 RIAT B-2

Belgian Viper smoking.

1407 RIAT BAF F-16

Back on the coach again, and the long drive to Cambridgeshire for more airshow action.

1407 Coach to Cambridgeshire

So, back into the Cambridge Sauna for a second round of heat - and Duxford, but this time for Flying Legends. At this airshow I had trouble with my camera. It just did not want to play ball and on post show analysis, I've found that a considerable number of my images have come out blurry - dammit. I feel it's time for an upgrade to some better kit. My trusty Nikon D5500 just doesn't have the legs to produce the results I want. Nevertheless, I did my best with what I had.

Stunning Curtiss Hawk 75.

1507 Flying Legends Hawk 75

B-17 Sally B masquerading as the Memphis Belle from its film role.

1507 Flying Legends Memphis Belle

Historic Hurricane; this aircraft was found in Russia and taken to New Zealand, where it was restored by Air New Zealand at its Christchurch maintenance base, but is now living in France. It has historic significance as it was flown by Edgar James 'Cobber' Cain, a New Zealander and the first RAF pilot to become an ace.

1507 Flying Legends Hurricane

How good is your Spitfire knowledge? Chocolate Fish if you can name the marks - extra for sub marks.

1507 Flying Legends Spitfires

The P-40C is simply gorgeous.

1507 Flying Legends P-40C

Buchons diving in, recalling those magic scenes from the feature film Battle of Britain.

1507 Flying Legends Buchons

That Old Thing; the Fighter Collection's Martlet is a crowd favourite.

1507 Flying Legends Martlet

The USAF is keen to display their Heritage Flight, complete with soppy ballad playing in the background.

1507 Flying Legends USAF Heritage Flight

The polished metal machines shined at Legends; Norwegian Historic Flight DC-3.

1507 Flying Legends C-47

Beautiful Red Bull B-25 strutting its stuff.

1507 Flying Legends B-25

The Red Bull flying team was definitely a highlight and I was to see it again on the tour.

1507 Flying Legends Red Bull formation

Not the most pleasing effort photography-wise, but I had a great day nonetheless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread