Oil production facts and figures for P38 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3 said:
Not true.

These rules were forced onto the state by the feds.
Your state tax is 18 cents. Then you have a 6% state sales tax and 1.25% county, plus additional local sales taxes and 1.2 cents per gallon state UST fee. We pay a flat 22 cents in Colorado and have the same requirements you guys have for federal emissions (especially around Denver and the surrounding counties). Gas here is between 30 and 40 cents a gallon cheaper and its been that way since I first starting coming out here in 1998.

syscom3 said:
I was referring to the EPA forcing California to use special blends of gasoline that isnt used in neighboring states.
I am too - we have to use the same additives in some parts of Colorado that's used all over California.

FLYBOYJ said:
I am too - we have to use the same additives in some parts of Colorado that's used all over California.

And another reason we have higher costs for our gasoline, is the ethanol we need for the blends, all comes in from out of state.

Youre closer to the corn belt (ethanol belt?). Were a good thousand miles futher west, so the transportation costs add to the gallon.

Heres some information on crude oil sources for California. This is year 2005 data.

Crude oil in thousands of barrels:

California oil well sources:
39% of the states total @ 266,052
Alaskan sources:
20% of the states total @ 135,906
Foreign countries:
40% of the states total @ 272,318

Heres some neat information. I always wondered what "sweet" oil was.

Sulfur Content
Crude oil is defined as "sweet" if the sulfur content is 0.5 percent or less by weight and "sour" if the sulfur content is greater than 1.0 percent. Sulfur compounds in crude oil are chemically bonded to hydrocarbon molecules in the oil. Additional equipment in the refinery is required to remove the sulfur from crude oil, intermediate
hydrocarbon feedstocks, and finished products. Transportation fuel specifications require extremely low sulfur contents, usually less than 80 parts per million (ppm).

Acid Content
Another characteristic of crude oil is the total acid number (TAN). The TAN represents a composite of acids present in the oil and is measured in milligrams (mg). A TAN number greater than 0.5 mg is considered high. As an example, Wilmington and Kern crude oil have a TAN ranging from 2.2 to 3.2 mg, respectively. However, some acids are relatively inert. Thus, the TAN number does not always represent the corrosive properties of the crude oil. Further, different acids will react at different temperatures – making it difficult to pinpoint the processing units within the refinery that will be affected by a particular high TAN crude oil. Nonetheless, high TAN crude oils contain naphthenic acids, a broad group of organic acids that are
usually composed of carboxylic acid compounds. These acids corrode the distillation unit in the refinery and form sludge and gum which can block pipelines and pumps entering the refinery.

The impact of corrosive, high TAN, crude oils can be overcome by blending higher and lower TAN oils, installing or retrofitting equipment with anticorrosive materials, or by developing low temperature catalytic decarboxylation processes using metal catalysts such as copper. Many California refineries already process high TAN crude. High TAN oils are sold on the market at a discount compared to higher quality crude oils. High TAN oils account for an increasing percentage of the global crude oil market. Crude oil with a TAN greater than 1.0 mg increased in the world market from 7.5 percent in 1998 to 9.5 percent in 2003.

syscom3 said:
And another reason we have higher costs for our gasoline, is the ethanol we need for the blends, all comes in from out of state.

Youre closer to the corn belt (ethanol belt?). Were a good thousand miles futher west, so the transportation costs add to the gallon.
Actually that transportation to Southern California (and areas of other large demands) - drive up to Bakersfield and you'll pay between 25-30 cents a gallon less (check the prices on line)

No matter how you slice it the pinko goofballs in Sacramento via San Francisco continue to rape the California population...

Alot of oil in California!!! - Drive up the 14 by San Fernando Rd. - you could see all the wells on the left side of the FWY heading north. BTW Gene Autrey used to own all that land....

Sweet oil - the highest percentage of sweet oil in the world I believe is found in Iraq!!!!! :rolleyes:

This is todays news out of Alaska. Funny, since I was going to post some Alaskan oil figures.

Its good that they caught the problems in the pipeline before one of them ruptured big time. But I'm a little suspicious about the timing of this. Corrosion on this type of scale takes a while to develope, and I wouldnt be surprised if they knew about this weeks or even months ago.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Oil company BP scrambled Monday to assess suspected pipeline corrosion that will shut shipments from the nation's biggest oilfield, removing about 8 percent of daily U.S. crude production and driving oil prices sharply higher.

BP, which is already facing a criminal investigation over a large spill in March at the same Prudhoe Bay oilfield, said it did not know how long the field would be offline. "I don't even know how long it's going to take to shut it down," said Tom Williams, BP's senior tax and royalty counsel.

While BP suspects corrosion in both damaged lines, it can't say for sure until further tests are complete. Workers also found a small spill of about 4 to 5 barrels, which has been contained and is being cleaned up, BP said.

The news sent the price of light, sweet crude oil up $1.53 to $74.57 a barrel in electronic trading Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Steve Marshall, president of BP Exploration Alaska Inc., said Sunday night that the eastern side of the Prudhoe Bay oilfield would be shut down first, an operation anticipated to take 24 to 36 hours. The company will then move to shut down the west side, a move that could close more than 1,000 Prudhoe Bay wells.

Once the field is shut down, BP said oil production will be reduced by 400,000 barrels a day. That's close to 8 percent of U.S. oil production or about 2.6 percent of U.S. supply including imports, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The shutdown comes at an already worrisome time for the oil industry, with supply concerns stemming both from the hurricane season and instability in the Middle East.

A 400,000-barrel per day reduction in output would have a major impact on oil prices, said Tetsu Emori, chief commodities strategist at Mitsui Bussan Futures in Tokyo. A barrel contains 42 gallons of crude oil.

"Oil prices could increase by as much as $10 per barrel given the current environment," Emori said. "But we can't really say for sure how big an effect this is going to have until we have more exact figures about how much production is going to be reduced."

But Victor Shum, an energy analyst with Purvin Gertz in Singapore, said he expected the impact to be minimal since crude inventories are high.

"So while this won't have any immediate impact on U.S. supplies, the market is in very high anxiety. So any significant disruption, traders will take that into account, even though there is no threat of a supply shortage."

Marshall said tests Friday indicated that there were 16 anomalies in 12 areas in an oil transit line on the eastern side of Prudhoe Bay. Tests found losses in wall thickness of between 70 and 81 percent. Repair or replacement is required if there is more than an 80 percent loss.

"The results were absolutely unexpected," Marshall said.

BP America Chairman and President Bob Malone said Prudhoe Bay will not resume operating until the company and government regulators are satisfied it can run safely without threatening the environment.

"We regret that it is necessary to take this action and we apologize to the nation and the State of Alaska for the adverse impacts it will cause," Malone said in a statement.

The troubles at the Alaskan oilfield add to other problems for BP in the United States, where the company is the largest oil producer, following an explosion at its Texas City refinery that killed 15 workers in March 2005 and a trading scandal.

The shutdown comes six months after the North Slope's biggest ever oil spill was discovered on a Prudhoe Bay transit line. Some 267,000 gallons of oil spilled. BP installed a bypass on that line in April with plans to replace the pipe. Only one of BP's three transit lines is now operating.

BP puts millions of gallons of corrosion inhibitor into the Prudhoe Bay lines each year. It also examines pipes by taking X-rays and ultrasound images.

BP has a 26 percent stake in the Prudhoe Bay field, meaning its own production would be cut by 100,000 barrels a day, or around 2.5 percent of the company's worldwide production, said spokesman David Nicholas. He declined to provide any forecast on the impact of the shutdown on earnings.

BP shares dropped 2 percent to 623 pence ($11.89) on the London Stock Exchange.

A prolonged Prudhoe Bay shutdown would be a major blow to domestic oil production, but even a short one could be crippling to Alaska's economy.

Alaska House Speaker John Harris said it was admirable that BP took immediate action, although it's sure to hurt state coffers. "This state cannot afford to have another Exxon Valdez," said Harris, R-Valdez.

The Exxon Valdez tanker emptied 11 million gallons of crude oil into Prince William Sound in 1989, killing hundreds of thousands of birds and marine animals and soiling more than 1,200 miles of rocky beach in nation's largest oil spill.

:lol:

Not to try and be a tree hugger but I hope the environment will not be too effected. I only say this because Alaska is my future home.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:

Not to try and be a tree hugger but I hope the environment will not be too effected. I only say this because Alaska is my future home.

Alaskan residents receive an annual check from the state, depending on how much oil is pumped.

This is an interesting graph of whats refined from 1 barrel of oil.

Attachments

• oil11.gif
    oil11.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 295
Here the oil prices in Europe at August 7, 2006

BPH - Prezzi Europa

where:
- Price is in Euro per liter of fuel
Benzina Senza Piombo: unleaded gasoline
Gasolio Autotrazione: diesel fuel
Gasolio Riscaldamento: diesel oil for heating (detaxed)
Olio Combustibile: bunker C fuel oil

And Adler, the 'military detaxed' price you pay for gas is not representative.. PS: can we arrange some business with that? I need about 80 litres of diesel per month... how about a railroad shipment?

The high price of gasoline has pushed Europe to develop very efficient diesel engines, in normal traffic a diesel car drinks about 30% less than a gasoline car of similar displacement and power (the more you drive in traffic and stop-and-go, the more you save)
I would not be surprised if the next step for USA will be the 'conversion' to diesel...

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:

Alaska is one fifth the size of the rest of the US and twice the size of Texas. It would take one massive disruption to make any impact the environment. There was great gnashing of teeth on the threat of the oil line to the caribou. There are now more caribou than was before.

However, I think the oil companies should be held to high standards on the environment. Its for their and our own good. Unfortunately they are sometimes not so smart.

I am off to Alaska tomorrow. My sister lives slightly north of Anchorage in a place called Big Lake. Alaska seems to be in a building spurt with the large increase in oil prices.

Parmigiano said:
And Adler, the 'military detaxed' price you pay for gas is not representative.. PS: can we arrange some business with that? I need about 80 litres of diesel per month... how about a railroad shipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back