OK, Time To Buy a 1/32nd F4U Corsair.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Cory....

I think Im going to purchase the Trumpter F4U-1D today, but gonna wait on the decals till more info comes in (hopefully) concerning the certain fuselage #'s that were on hand in Oct 1943....

The Trumpter seems to be the best all around choice... 4 things need MAJOR attention on the kit tho, the cockpit (it has a floor?), the exhaust ports under the cowling, the cowl flaps and the landing gear doors...

Just in case that you'd look for a new siggy in the future....all VMF 214! Is the last one the gentleman himself Dan?

Attachments

• Black Sheep at Munda.jpg
    Black Sheep at Munda.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Black Sheep Squadron.jpg
    Black Sheep Squadron.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 1st LT William N Case.jpg
    1st LT William N Case.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 74
Yea Jan, I am too, which makes getting the right fuselage code all that more important....

I called my Dad and asked what he knew, which is scarce as his brain works at about 65% most of the time....

He said he's pretty sure that Grandpa flew 86 (BuNo 18086) without the Lucybelle and kills tho, and said 740 (BuNo 17740), 875 (BuNo 17875) and 883 (BuNo 17883) were good bets as well...

When I mentioned to him about the 3 losses in mid-Oct, 17679, 17844 and 55889, he said in all likelyhood he could have flown one of those as well...

Jan said:
PS. I've the Kagero Volume I about the Corsair Dan, in it there's a set of decals, 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. 883 with Navy Serial 17883 is on that set. If you want I can cut that one off and send it to you...

Dude, Im gonna need that hookup I think.... Is it the entire set of decals for the 1/32nd kit???

Dan, I have the book in PDF so I can see what the decals are, but I do not of course actually have them.

There are no stars and bars, but it has:

Two large white 883s for the side.
Two smaller black 883s for presumably the landing gear covers.
Two: Navy 17883 serials.

Otherwise there's nothing.

Don't know if it will help Dan, but the red borders to the stars and bars were very short lived. They appeared around early August '43, and an order soon rescinded their use, effective as of September 3, I think. (I can check this).
Although most were removed in the ETO/PTO, some lingered for a little longer, but not too long. It was normally fairly easy to spot an aircraft that had had the red surrounds, as the blue looked slightly darker than the blue disc, due to overpainting in fresh paint, over red.
So, unless you wish to model a specific period between August and early September, '43, you will probably be OK. If not, you could overpaint the blue surround, as on the real thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back