Old Decals + Romanian Bf-109E/4B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
2 Questions I have a couple older decals ranging from the 60s to the 90s should I coat them in anything before trying to apply them? Theres a Microscale Decal solution that doesn't look too bad?

#2: I've been trying to look at some info. on Romanian Bf-109E-4s and whether they had bomb racks or not in use regularly (I've seen some pics of them being installed etc)? I know that the Romanians along with other countries affiliated to the Germans were used in bomb ops and fighter sweeps of their own territory etc. Was it as easy to replace the installation for bomb racks and go about business as usual?

I have decals for a Romanian Bf-109E-4 Yellow 65, but due to the configuration of the kit(I'll explain this in my GB entry just a edit for now) *its more appealing to me to have it as a Romanian Bf-109-E4/B

Although I'd usually just go for a german color camo and markings, theres a special reason why I'd prefer to use the Romanian Decals, one which I'll go over in the next GB entry.

Thank you for your help,

Igor

I've checked here and can only find i nfo about them using the aircraft as fighters.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/romanian-air-force-28582.html

Last edited:
These deacal are quite old . So you should coat them with a gloss dope. Then cut out decal marking of with scissors as close markings as it is possible. It will limit the silvering effect that might appear when the finish matt dope is applied.

Attaching and dimantling of these bomb racks was quit easy so it shouldn't be any problem. But why would it be easier to install the bomb rack than convert the kit to a non bombed up Bf ? Any pic of the model parts an the fuselage area?

If anyone has any spare Matchbox Bf-109 E-4/7 Romanian Decals (1/72) I'd be in need :S 1 of my decals is bent (I can't beleive I didn't notice :S ) and apparently the type of Romanian cross that coresponds to Yellow 65 no one does in decal form (I checked some refrences and emailed :( ) I have one more refrence to check but there pretty pricey (ty to muggs for the decal reference tips :D). I'd rather pay shiping and the cost of the decals from one of the forum gang.

Last edited:
Damn, mine are in NZ Igor...

I do have sets of Romanian markings thanks to our friend Wojtek (Wurger) though. You will need to widen the white borders, but if you need any let me know!

Attachments

• STA52127.JPG
    STA52127.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 271
I'll measure mine out and let you know the dimensions by tomorrow :D ty A4K :)

I just realized that there is a set of decals exactly made for 65 ! For some weird reason i didn't notice them when i went through parcmodels's site, drop me a post address via PM and i'll be happy to mail them over to you !

7a14a0e21c6b10b688c592a0b6f7774c.jpg

d389f8e879fbb49cd3eab75de5fe3a7c.jpg

Wow perfect :D I could even do a couple other ones with those :D

Last edited:
Hi Wojtek! :D You stated: "These deacal are quite old . So you should coat them with a gloss dope." What exactly do you mean by a gloss dope? Would that mean something like Testor's Gloss Coat?

Also, to all fellow modelers: Would anyone happen to have any 1:72 scale Balkan Bf-109 Emil decals (German nationality) that they would be willing to part with? I am willing to pay a fair price, but I don't use PayPal. Sorry. :(

Hi Wojtek! :D You stated: "These deacal are quite old . So you should coat them with a gloss dope." What exactly do you mean by a gloss dope? Would that mean something like Testor's Gloss Coat?

By the gloss dope I mean exactly what you thought. It can be the Testors Gloss Coat or a gloss varnish of other manufacturers. The gloss one should be used because contrary to those matt coats these gloss ones give more elastic coat that can be cut without jagged edges. Also the kind of coat has a better resistance to fracturing what is important when a decal marking has to be applied at curved surfaces. But the main reason for applying it overall a decal sheet is to protect decal marking against its disintegration when soaking.

... Would anyone happen to have any 1:72 scale Balkan Bf-109 Emil decals (German nationality) ...(

You may want to start a separate thread for this so as not to hijack Igor's post. Not sure what you mean though? German 109 in the Balkan theatre?

Np, I don't mind the questions if they have to do with 109s :D

Unfortunatley I usually deal more with 1/48 models, I'll have a search, for 1.72 but its limited. Crimea I think your right, Balkan means Balkan theatre Bf-109s I'm assuming ones that served in Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, etc. even sometimes Greece gets categorized into "Balkan Theatre"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back