Omaka Open Day (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gumbyk

Master Sergeant
Apr 2, 2009
Blenheim
We had a bit of a quieter open day last weekend, so this time I managed to get a few photos taken.
IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6480a.jpg

IMG_6485.JPG

IMG_6490.JPG

IMG_6493a.jpg

IMG_6496a.jpg

WP_20141011_001.jpg

Thanks for the photos. I was (and still am) far too busy to get up there this year.

It's an old WW2 training field, used to just be a square paddock, but some of it is leased as vineyards. An aerial view will show why this is the best place to base a tail-wheel aircraft:
Capture.JPG

Don't have to take a x-wind if you don't want to. Especially since a lot of the WW1 types have 3-5 knot x-wind limitations on them.

Crimea, that one is (as far as I know) the only airworthy Mk1 in the world, so, no, you definitely don't see many of them.

I got to sit in the cockpit of the Bristol Freighter when they did an engine run - mighty noisey, and the thing sure bounced around a lot.

That 195 was absolutely immaculate! I had a serious case of the "iwants" after seeing that. A mate who had a fly of it said it flew as good as it looked.

Where in NZ are you?

I'm normally in Dunedin, but these days I'm also spending lots of time in Sydney, Oz.(Go the Rabbitohs yeeehaaa!)
Youtube video of the Anson's first flight

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYmbtVQdW0

What a fantastic job - I really enjoy seeing the Anson; nothing spectacular, but it has so much character. Interesting how the camouflage blends in with the local scenery.

Last edited:
That Anson would have to be one of the nicest looking warbirds getting around. Would be awesome if it was in its original RAAF colours thought :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back