operation Market garden

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"I agree with you kinda freebird. However, the flip side of that argument is this...by 1944, the Allies had learnt to be cautious when fighting the Germans. When it came to a war of manouver, the Germans were the masters at it. Eisehowers strategy was to attack across a broad front, applying more or less equal pressure across the entire front, keeping sufficient reserves handy to reinforce any sector of the front under threat. This was a cautious, uninspired kind of generalship, but it was fullproof, if slow. When the Germans tried to apply their armoured breakthrough tactics, notably at the Ardennes, they were fairly easily brought to ground.

Now, whilst the allies had mastered the attritional war they could not beat the germans at a manouver war, and this is precisely what Monty was trying to do at Arnhem. It was a heavy cost for a lesson relearnt"

Parsifal,

I disagree. The Germans were only the supreme masters of mobile warfare because the Western Allies refused to step up to the challenge in north-west Europe. Eisenhowers broad front strategy probably cost more lives than it saved, as it constantly gave the German forces to set-up defensive lines in the face of Allied slow march.

The 8th Army learnt to be mobile in North Africa and they defeated Rommel because they always kept themselves mobile. After El Alamein, Montgomery constantly kept the pressure on Rommel until Benghazi and did not allow one moment for Rommel to set-up effective defences. The lessons of mobility (in the air, and on the ground) that were learnt in North Africa were forgotten in North-West Europe.

Quick movement to attack the German army was required in Europe after the D-Day landings. When the Germans held the British forces before Caen, the Americans should have been quick to exploit the weakness in the German lines across from them. Instead Eisenhower held them back until Caen had fallen to the British. Caen was not important, holding the Germans at Caen was.

The Ardennes Offensive that brought up is a perfect example of the western Allies failing to keep the lessons from Africa in their mind. The bulge was pushed out by the 'broad front' strategy; this kind of action allowed the German troops to regroup and set up defences further back. If the Allies were mobile they could have cut the bulge off at its base and forced hundreds of thousand of German troops to surrender.

A war of attrition is costly and slow; the Allies could have matched the Germans in mobile war and it would have cost them less lives and they would have been much closer to Berlin. Slow cautious warfare will always be beaten by quick, hard strikes in weak points...always.

"Furthermore if the British had landed closer to the Bridge and actually taken it, FM Model IMO would have ordered the destruction of the Nijmegen Bridge and thus the whole plan would have dissolved itself even earlier – not to mention the outcome in regards to the then entrapped Airborne units in Arnheim with totally no way of retreat.

In conclusion, IMO the whole plan was just to optimistic and relied too much on the estimate of only facing 3rd class worn down German resistance."

If the 82nd Airborne had landed closer to Nijmegen bridge then Model would not have been able to order its destruction as it would be captured in a short space of time. If everything else was the same the XXX Corps would not have to help the 82nd capture the bridge and thus be rolling toward 1st Airborne at Arnhem at least 2 days earlier.

And given the fact that the 1st Airborne held the north of the bridge, the Germans would not be able to blow Arnhem bridge either.

"If the Allies had a decent heavy tank that could have spearheaded XXX corps it would have made a huge difference. The Sherman Fireflys were not tough enough to survive against most Geman AT fire, so XXX corps had to advance very carefully to avoid getting slaughtered by German ambush. A "super-heavy" tank like the Tortoise could stand up to almost all of the German AT fire except at very close ranges, perhaps they could have pushed on during the night as well. Even if the tank could only do 8 or 10 mph, I think it was less than 50 miles from start point to Arnhem IIRC."

A heavy tank was not required for "Market Garden" the XXX Corps were held up at the bridges Son and Nijmegen mostly. If Nijmegen had been captured by the 82nd alone then the XXX Corps would have had no problems assaulting Arnhem.

The plan was a little optimistic, but most plans are. Nothing ever goes exactly to plan. Operation "Market Garden" failed because of a lot of little faults and set-backs that ended up joining together to be a failure. Remove one or two of those faults and the plan would have suceeded; and as Freebird said we would have been praising its brilliance.

In reality, it was a brilliant plan that went wrong. If the Allies were in a position to perform Market Garden in August, it would have most likely been a resounding success.

A heavy tank was not required for "Market Garden" the XXX Corps were held up at the bridges Son and Nijmegen mostly. If Nijmegen had been captured by the 82nd alone then the XXX Corps would have had no problems assaulting Arnhem.

The plan was a little optimistic, but most plans are. Nothing ever goes exactly to plan. Operation "Market Garden" failed because of a lot of little faults and set-backs that ended up joining together to be a failure. Remove one or two of those faults and the plan would have suceeded; and as Freebird said we would have been praising its brilliance.

In reality, it was a brilliant plan that went wrong. If the Allies were in a position to perform Market Garden in August, it would have most likely been a resounding success.

PlanD, If I recall correctly there were some initial delays though, in the first 48 hours XXX corps met some heavy resistance right from the start by some SS PanzerJager V's, they were held up because the Germans could gut a Firefly from 2,000 yards or more, the British tanks could not get close enough to eliminate them, and had to wait for the infantry to outflank the defenders. Then later on the road between Eindhoven Nimegen German counterattacks forced XXX corps to halt while waiting for the infantry to come forward.

A heavier tank, though while slow would allow the Allies to match the german Tigers on a more even basis. On a more wide open front it would not matter as much, but in the case of a long advance up a narrow highway, even a few heavy Axis tanks could hold up the whole column, where every hour was vital

I understand what you're saying but if you think about the course of the operation, then even with the delays on XXX Corps made by the superior German armour the XXX Corps would still reach Arnhem in time to save 1st Airborne if Nijmegen was open to them.

XXX Corps would have been in a better position on the 1st day if they had moved out before 2pm, and forced marched throughout the first night. The delays on the first day allowed the German defenders to realise what was happening and set up defences against XXX Corps. These defences would have not been present had XXX Corps moved on the word go, the German AT positions and Panzerjagers would have been caughting napping - so to speak...

If the 82nd Airborne had landed closer to Nijmegen bridge then Model would not have been able to order its destruction as it would be captured in a short space of time. If everything else was the same the XXX Corps would not have to help the 82nd capture the bridge and thus be rolling toward 1st Airborne at Arnhem at least 2 days earlier.

And given the fact that the 1st Airborne held the north of the bridge, the Germans would not be able to blow Arnhem bridge either.....

Sorry Plan_D,

too many "ifs" One has to analyse Operation Market Garden to the historic occurences and not "if" - IMO.

Intelligence was poor and ignored by the British. Major Urquard -relative of General Urquard??- had spotted tanks on the recon photos, after the medical doctor examined him he was ordered to go for a holiday - how ignorant things can get in this world-.

The plan IMO was brilliant, or let me rather say the "Idea", but ignorantly executed. One german soldier an officer who particpated in this event said one thing to me that I always keept in my head - how ignorant of a commander to set up a tank advance based on a single road in Holland.

Regards
Kruska

Sorry Plan_D,

too many "ifs" One has to analyse Operation Market Garden to the historic occurences and not "if" - IMO.

Intelligence was poor and ignored by the British. Major Urquard -relative of General Urquard??- had spotted tanks on the recon photos, after the medical doctor examined him he was ordered to go for a holiday - how ignorant things can get in this world-.

The plan IMO was brilliant, but ignorantly executed. One german soldier an officer who particpated in this event said one thing to me that I always keept in my head - how ignorant of a commander to set up a tank advance based on a single road in Holland.

Regards
Kruska

Not much other choice in that area...

They were counting on taking advantage of the German disorganization, as PlanD says it probably would have worked in August, before the Germans started to firm up from the defence line.

There is a tendency in wartime to "keep rolling" along with a plan, even after it should be cancelled. This is probably due to nobody wanting to go on record opposing, and being seen as "weak" or "cowardly". The operations "Jubilee" {Dieppe} and "Zitadell" {Kursk} were continued on with, regardless that they should have been scrubbed.

There is a tendency in wartime to "keep rolling" along with a plan, even after it should be cancelled. This is probably due to nobody wanting to go on record opposing, and being seen as "weak" or "cowardly". The operations "Jubilee" {Dieppe} and "Zitadell" {Kursk} were continued on with, regardless that they should have been scrubbed.

True, true - very true

Regards
Kruska

I was in the Arnheim region about 10-12 years ago. The terrain is certainly not hilly (compared to South Germany) it is mostly flat with slopes and has several higher ridges – about 5-10m higher than the average surrounding terrain.
Ah, if you were dutch, you would understand that we call that hilly already. I grew up in a polder ;)

Nope, the plan was far from brilliant and the Allies were lucky to get this far. The intelligence wasn't poor, the allies had all the info they needed. Dutch resistance was among the best organised resistance organisations in the world, and provided the allies with every info they needed. Thus the allies did know the SS panzers were there, they just choose to ignore it. Further more, the road towards Arnhem through Brabant was just stupid. As Kruska already mentioned, going over one road is just stupid, especially when that road runs over a dyke, metres higher than the rest of the land around it, so you have no place to manoeuvre and are a sitting duck for every German soldier in the neighbourhood.

The area of the bridge in Arnhem was not suited for parachute landings, so they had to drop too far from the bridge. If the times Kruska provides are correct, then it took Frost already almost 5 hours to get to the bridge, being the only one to reach it, that's a long time. It is true, the British paratroopers fought well and brave, but bravery couldn't counter a faulty planning.
The timing was even off. If the plan was executed around the 5th of September (not in August), they probably would have gotten away with the stupid plan. The Germans were on full panic retreat, after the capture of Antwerp and in no position to offer resistance. On September 17th, the Germans had regrouped, so the the chance was lost.

Has anyone ever played this out in a game or simulation?

I've played GDW's "Road to the Rhine", a strategic division-level game of Sept 44 - April 45. If the Allies allow the Germans a chance to re-group in Sept/Oct then the Axis have a good oppertunity to build up a small reserve, to prevent the Allies from breaching the Rhine.

I also have "Market Garden", also by GDW, a battalion level double blind tactical game from Sept 17 - Oct 5. It's a tough battle for the Allies, too many places that it can go wrong. And the Para's in Arnhem usually end up fighting off a battalion of King Tigers - Ouch!

Ah, if you were dutch, you would understand that we call that hilly already. I grew up in a polder ;)

I know, I know :) that is why I tried to bring in a slight correction.:)

What surprised me is this teetime attitude. Taking off from England (after a solid breakfest I presume with milk and Tea):) at 9 am and to drop in Holland for late lunch at 1:30 pm

I could have understood a 5 am morning landing or even though more costly a night landing.

Regards
Kruska

Yes many times with some British and American wargamers, 1:72, microarmour, and also the board game Third Reich. Whoever played the English got devastated, massacred.:)

I made myself very unpopular when I airdropped some British partroopers over the British HQ to take them out in order to end the battle for Arnheim :)

IIRC the Germans did acctually have 40-45 Kingtigers in that area.

Regards
Kruska

"Sorry Plan_D,

In my opinion only one of those many possibilities need to be changed for Market Garden to succeed. It was recognised at the time that a drop on Nijmegen instead of the heights would have secured the bridge before XXX Corps arrival.
With Nijmegen secured XXX Corps could have been on the south side of Arnhem bridge in time to save 1st Airborne. I have looked at the historical occurences, and I think the mishaps and faults in the plan I made perfectly clear in my first post.

"Intelligence was poor and ignored by the British. Major Urquard -relative of General Urquard??- had spotted tanks on the recon photos, after the medical doctor examined him he was ordered to go for a holiday - how ignorant things can get in this world-."

As has been mentioned intelligence was not poor; the Dutch resistance and aerial photography provided the British command with all the information they required about German positions. Maybe the plan should have been called off, or maybe some alterations should have been made - I don't know, I only have my ideas.
The British command were arrogant when it came to executing Market Garden, but as you recognise the idea was a good one; and it would have been praised had it succeeded.

"The plan IMO was brilliant, or let me rather say the "Idea", but ignorantly executed. One german soldier an officer who particpated in this event said one thing to me that I always keept in my head - how ignorant of a commander to set up a tank advance based on a single road in Holland."

The plan was brilliant and the idea was sound. I'm sorry to say that the German officer you mentioned must not have studied his own nations armoured thrusts during the years '39 - '45, if he believes a tank advance up one road is always ignorant.

Of course, Herr Guderian always stated that an armoured thrust should be deep and broad. But he always started that quick movement and sharp pinpoint strikes are vital for success. Countless times during World War II did Germany punch through areas that, if they failed, we'd be calling suicidal and the German officers ignorant.

The best examples that instantly come to mind are the Ardennes 1940 and Balcks advance in Greece in '41. Both attacks were made in areas impassable to armour, and Balck advanced with his armour in single file through a valley !

"Nope, the plan was far from brilliant and the Allies were lucky to get this far. The intelligence wasn't poor, the allies had all the info they needed. Dutch resistance was among the best organised resistance organisations in the world, and provided the allies with every info they needed. Thus the allies did know the SS panzers were there, they just choose to ignore it. Further more, the road towards Arnhem through Brabant was just stupid. As Kruska already mentioned, going over one road is just stupid, especially when that road runs over a dyke, metres higher than the rest of the land around it, so you have no place to manoeuvre and are a sitting duck for every German soldier in the neighbourhood."

My previous paragraph directed at Kruska answers this. The Allies were not lucky to reach as far as they did, the Germans were caught off guard. Germany forced tanks through areas that were impassable to them over and over again - you only believe Market Garden as "stupid" because it fell short of its objective. If it had succeeded (which it could have) then you and the whole world would be praising it's brilliance; fact. And you prove that with this -

"The timing was even off. If the plan was executed around the 5th of September (not in August), they probably would have gotten away with the stupid plan. The Germans were on full panic retreat, after the capture of Antwerp and in no position to offer resistance. On September 17th, the Germans had regrouped, so the the chance was lost."

The bold says it all, you're holding back from accepting that it was a good idea. If the plan would have succeeded your words would instantly change from "stupid plan" to "excellent plan". Failure of an idea does not make it stupid...war is just as much luck as it is brilliance.

And "if" the Nijmegen Bridge had been taken, the Germans would have increased their push on Arnheim and blown the Bridge right in front of the xxx Corps face. Using whatever they had in order to achieve this.

The Germans never had/needed a time plan that forced them ultimately to reach point x in y time on a single road for such a distance and so many objectives along it during the attack on Holland in 1940 in order to backup or save forward deployed troops, neither was the case for Greece. And the Ardennes in 1940 was crossed on multiple pontoon bridges – so where does the single road come into this?

The Dutch resistance delivered very precise and useful information to the Allies, these were however partially ignored and until the day of action, obviously no one was aware that the Germans had not just 3rd grade worn down troops in the area.

The problem with the OMG plan is that it becomes very, very obvious once the Airborne formations landed – the Bridges- not like in the movie were Model is portrait as an arrogant full sized Idiot who says – why do they come, there is nothing of importance here… hey wait I am important and the best part: Why do all my Generals want to destry the bridges.

And this is where the plan starts to suck, because once the objective is known the opposite side should know/knows what to do.
And the only thing to make a plan work that has been revealed is the speedy, "unhindered" advance of the XXXCorps on one road. – that indeed could be termed as stupid.

Furthermore just for your info, Marcel probably knows more about this: The defense of Holland in 1940 on the Dutch part and in 1944/45 on the German part was based on "opening"-"blowing up" the Deichs – to flood the whole place if necessary. I don't know why, but luckily for everyone the Germans and the Dutch never did it. Maybe the Germans were too fast in 1940.

As an example: Kursk was brilliant right? Attack on the Flanks and entrap the whole bunch, brilliant, genius plan and well executed by the German Army masterminds and greatest military genius of all times AH. Unfortunately once the PLAN/Idea became visible the other side (Russians) knew what to do. "IF" the Germans had attacked straight away the plan "would" have been a brilliant counterattack and world history would need to be rewritten.

So OMG was a brilliant idea but poorly planned and poorly executed on behalf of the XXX Corps. Monty had an easy part in this – if it worked it would be his Idea, if the plan fails, well it was just his idea and just the planning of the others was poor.

Regards
Kruska

I've played GDW's "Road to the Rhine", a strategic division-level game of Sept 44 - April 45. If the Allies allow the Germans a chance to re-group in Sept/Oct then the Axis have a good oppertunity to build up a small reserve, to prevent the Allies from breaching the Rhine.

I also have "Market Garden", also by GDW, a battalion level double blind tactical game from Sept 17 - Oct 5. It's a tough battle for the Allies, too many places that it can go wrong. And the Para's in Arnhem usually end up fighting off a battalion of King Tigers - Ouch!
[/B

Ive played SPIs "Highway To the Reich" several times. Battalion level sim of the entire campaign. Dmn difficult as the allies. LZs too far away, single road a pain, Germans putting up a stubborn and effective defence. Great game. your heart sinks as your Paras at Arnhem take on the SS, outnumbered about 10 to one, fighting house to house, to save their only hope, that damn bridge

I also have "Market Garden", also by GDW, a battalion level double blind tactical game from Sept 17 - Oct 5. It's a tough battle for the Allies, too many places that it can go wrong. And the Para's in Arnhem usually end up fighting off a battalion of King Tigers -Ouch!

Ive played SPIs "Highway To the Reich" several times. Battalion level sim of the entire campaign. Dmn difficult as the allies. LZs too far away, single road a pain, Germans putting up a stubborn and effective defence. Great game. your heart sinks as your Paras at Arnhem take on the SS, outnumbered about 10 to one, fighting house to house, to save their only hope, that damn bridge

If you ever get a chance, check out GDW's "operation Market Garden", this is a really interesting system, double blind. There are 2 identical maps, one for each side. As your troops enter each enemy controlled hex you call out the #, if unoccupied you keep going, if occupied a battle ensues. The Germans generally have a ring around the Allies, but don't know exactly where the paras are. The Allies don't know from which side the next attacks will come.

Neither side thinks that they have enough troops {no surprise there! :) } and both side are thinking - D**m, this looks bad! :eek:

The plan was brilliant and the idea was sound. I'm sorry to say that the German officer you mentioned must not have studied his own nations armoured thrusts during the years '39 - '45, if he believes a tank advance up one road is always ignorant.

There's a famous quote from a Dutch officer of the Prinses Irene brigade, I think it was also mentioned in the book "A bridge to far":
Dutch officer: "The first test we did on the KMA (=Military academy) was making a plan to attack the Netherlands.
British commander: How would we have done?
Dutch officer: You failed the test.

Of course, Herr Guderian always stated that an armoured thrust should be deep and broad. But he always started that quick movement and sharp pinpoint strikes are vital for success. Countless times during World War II did Germany punch through areas that, if they failed, we'd be calling suicidal and the German officers ignorant.

The best examples that instantly come to mind are the Ardennes 1940 and Balcks advance in Greece in '41. Both attacks were made in areas impassable to armour, and Balck advanced with his armour in single file through a valley !

Hmmm, the Netherlands is somewhat different, though, it's flat and wet and almost the whole country is not suited for tanks. There is a huge difference, moving through a valley with little room to move or a dyke with no room to move. If one of the vehicles had trouble, engine or whatever and had to stop, the whole advance would stop, because there was no room to pass.

"Nope, the plan was far from brilliant and the Allies were lucky to get this far. The intelligence wasn't poor, the allies had all the info they needed. Dutch resistance was among the best organised resistance organisations in the world, and provided the allies with every info they needed. Thus the allies did know the SS panzers were there, they just choose to ignore it. Further more, the road towards Arnhem through Brabant was just stupid. As Kruska already mentioned, going over one road is just stupid, especially when that road runs over a dyke, metres higher than the rest of the land around it, so you have no place to manoeuvre and are a sitting duck for every German soldier in the neighbourhood."

My previous paragraph directed at Kruska answers this. The Allies were not lucky to reach as far as they did, the Germans were caught off guard. Germany forced tanks through areas that were impassable to them over and over again - you only believe Market Garden as "stupid" because it fell short of its objective. If it had succeeded (which it could have) then you and the whole world would be praising it's brilliance; fact. And you prove that with this -

"The timing was even off. If the plan was executed around the 5th of September (not in August), they probably would have gotten away with the stupid plan. The Germans were on full panic retreat, after the capture of Antwerp and in no position to offer resistance. On September 17th, the Germans had regrouped, so the the chance was lost."

The bold says it all, you're holding back from accepting that it was a good idea. If the plan would have succeeded your words would instantly change from "stupid plan" to "excellent plan". Failure of an idea does not make it stupid...war is just as much luck as it is brilliance.
Of course, the winner is always right, but nothing went as plan in the operation, so you can hardly speak of a good plan and the objective was not reached. I also said it would have succeeded if they had carried it out in the first week of september. It would still have been a stupid plan, but the big gamble would probably have paid off.

So OMG was a brilliant idea but poorly planned and poorly executed on behalf of the XXX Corps. Monty had an easy part in this – if it worked it would be his Idea, if the plan fails, well it was just his idea and just the planning of the others was poor.
I totally agree with Kruska on this

Furthermore just for your info, Marcel probably knows more about this: The defense of Holland in 1940 on the Dutch part and in 1944/45 on the German part was based on "opening"-"blowing up" the Deichs – to flood the whole place if necessary. I don't know why, but luckily for everyone the Germans and the Dutch never did it. Maybe the Germans were too fast in 1940.
Well, actually it was carried out. In front of the Grebbelinie were large innudations, and the Waterlinie, further to the west was starting to get flooded when the war ended on may 14th. They were not completed, though. This was largely caused by the the naive Dutch government who thought no one would attack them and the thought that the flooding would spoil valuable land. Thus they were only set in motion when it was too late. These floodings take time and time was running out. To make thinks worse, beacause of cutting budget, some pumps were not installed, slowing the floodings even further.

"And "if" the Nijmegen Bridge had been taken, the Germans would have increased their push on Arnheim and blown the Bridge right in front of the xxx Corps face. Using whatever they had in order to achieve this."

That's a very large assumption, Kruska. First off, the Germans would be in no position to lay demolition charges on the bridge because 1st Airborne would be holding the north side. So any attempt on blowing the bridge would have to be made with artillery and tank guns which would make the job a long one, and a tough one.

If the German forces on the south side of Arnhem bridge did blow the bridge then they themselves would have been trapped between the Rhine and XXX Corps. Losing a SS Panzer Division is probably a good idea if it saves the nation, but you, me nor Marcel know what would have happened in reality.

"The Germans never had/needed a time plan that forced them ultimately to reach point x in y time on a single road for such a distance and so many objectives along it during the attack on Holland in 1940 in order to backup or save forward deployed troops, neither was the case for Greece. And the Ardennes in 1940 was crossed on multiple pontoon bridges – so where does the single road come into this?"

I never stated that Germany ever had a plan in World War II that matched Market Garden word for word. However, the German invasion of Holland did have many airborne assaults that required the invasion force to meet up with them in order to back them up.

As for the Ardennes and Greece comment; my mention of them was to point out that the most outlandish and, possibly, insane plans are sometimes the best. Both you, Kruska, and Marcel are disapproving of Market Garden simply because of that "single road". Because the plan ultimately failed then it's easy to say that the armour had nowhere to move. However, the fact of the matter is the terrain of the Ardennes (which is a forest! I think your comment was directed toward the Sedan crossing.) and the area around Mt.Olympius are both considered completely impassable to armour. That means that before 1941 no one believe that tanks could attack through those regions, and had May 1940 been a disaster for Germany then people would still believe that.

"The Dutch resistance delivered very precise and useful information to the Allies, these were however partially ignored and until the day of action, obviously no one was aware that the Germans had not just 3rd grade worn down troops in the area."

Unfortunately it wasn't partially ignored, it was totally ignored. And I, personally, with 20/20 hindsight would call off the plan if I were told that two SS Panzer Divisions were in my way. But the arrogance and ignorance of the British Command at the time does not make the initial plan a bad one. Keeping in mind that the plan was based around the idea that Germany would not expect the Allies to try that kind of movement... and if you really want to be open minded you can think that Germany was lucky that it had placed the SS Panzer Divisions there for rest.

"And this is where the plan starts to suck, because once the objective is known the opposite side should know/knows what to do.
And the only thing to make a plan work that has been revealed is the speedy, "unhindered" advance of the XXXCorps on one road. – that indeed could be termed as stupid."

Unfortunately, the XXX Corps didn't need to be fully unhindered. And given the FACT that the PLAN was made around the basis of surprise then the PLAN isn't at fault. The execution of the plan is what went wrong; personally I would have expected the British command to abandon the plan upon arrival of two SS Panzer Divisions... but then I wasn't around in Sept. '44 so what I say has no meaning in the grand scheme of history.

"Furthermore just for your info, Marcel probably knows more about this: The defense of Holland in 1940 on the Dutch part and in 1944/45 on the German part was based on "opening"-"blowing up" the Deichs – to flood the whole place if necessary. I don't know why, but luckily for everyone the Germans and the Dutch never did it. Maybe the Germans were too fast in 1940."

He must know more simply because he's Dutch, right?! Well slap my thighs and call me Lolita I must know more about Great Britain's history than every Johnny Foreigner on this planet. Be reasonable, please.

"As an example: Kursk was brilliant right? Attack on the Flanks and entrap the whole bunch, brilliant, genius plan and well executed by the German Army masterminds and greatest military genius of all times AH. Unfortunately once the PLAN/Idea became visible the other side (Russians) knew what to do. "IF" the Germans had attacked straight away the plan "would" have been a brilliant counterattack and world history would need to be rewritten."

And this is where the PLAN and EXECUTION become two different things. Plus all great military leaders have said or written somewhere or another that luck plays just as much a part in warfare as skill does.

"So OMG was a brilliant idea but poorly planned and poorly executed on behalf of the XXX Corps. Monty had an easy part in this – if it worked it would be his Idea, if the plan fails, well it was just his idea and just the planning of the others was poor."

I almost agree...brilliant idea, brilliant plan, poorly executed. You have to keep in mind that the plan was a use of surprise. Germany had no inkling that the Allies would attempt to force a crossing at Arnhem, it was luck on their part that they decided to rest two SS divisions in that area at the time.

Unfortunately, in the end, the operation failed, Montgomery failed but it's not an open view of a man's talents or history to instantly dismiss a failure as stupid.

"And "if" the Nijmegen Bridge had been taken, the Germans would have increased their push on Arnheim and blown the Bridge right in front of the xxx Corps face. Using whatever they had in order to achieve this."

That's a very large assumption, Kruska. First off, the Germans would be in no position to lay demolition charges on the bridge because 1st Airborne would be holding the north side. So any attempt on blowing the bridge would have to be made with artillery and tank guns which would make the job a long one, and a tough one.

Exactly only the north side was under British control, at the end the Luftwaffe would have done the job if necessary just as they did with the Remagen Bridge.

If the German forces on the south side of Arnhem bridge did blow the bridge then they themselves would have been trapped between the Rhine and XXX Corps. Losing a SS Panzer Division is probably a good idea if it saves the nation, but you, me nor Marcel know what would have happened in reality.

As above stated the southern part would have been attacked, which would have been the sure end for the British airborne. Since nutty Hitler took over personal interest and determination regarding OMG we can be sure that no matter the costs the Bridge would have been destroyed.

"The Germans never had/needed a time plan that forced them ultimately to reach point x in y time on a single road for such a distance and so many objectives along it during the attack on Holland in 1940 in order to backup or save forward deployed troops, neither was the case for Greece. And the Ardennes in 1940 was crossed on multiple pontoon bridges – so where does the single road come into this?"

I never stated that Germany ever had a plan in World War II that matched Market Garden word for word. However, the German invasion of Holland did have many airborne assaults that required the invasion force to meet up with them in order to back them up.

yes, but the German plan never depended on just one road

As for the Ardennes and Greece comment; my mention of them was to point out that the most outlandish and, possibly, insane plans are sometimes the best. Both you, Kruska, and Marcel are disapproving of Market Garden simply because of that "single road". Because the plan ultimately failed then it's easy to say that the armour had nowhere to move. However, the fact of the matter is the terrain of the Ardennes (which is a forest! I think your comment was directed toward the Sedan crossing.) and the area around Mt.Olympius are both considered completely impassable to armour. That means that before 1941 no one believe that tanks could attack through those regions, and had May 1940 been a disaster for Germany then people would still believe that.

I do not think that these routs were unpassable, even history has shown us that they could be passed. History has also shown that the one road in Holland eliminated the chance for OMG to succeed. It was you who brought in this example based on the assumtion that it would prove something which it actually does not.

"The Dutch resistance delivered very precise and useful information to the Allies, these were however partially ignored and until the day of action, obviously no one was aware that the Germans had not just 3rd grade worn down troops in the area."

Unfortunately it wasn't partially ignored, it was totally ignored. And I, personally, with 20/20 hindsight would call off the plan if I were told that two SS Panzer Divisions were in my way. But the arrogance and ignorance of the British Command at the time does not make the initial plan a bad one. Keeping in mind that the plan was based around the idea that Germany would not expect the Allies to try that kind of movement... and if you really want to be open minded you can think that Germany was lucky that it had placed the SS Panzer Divisions there for rest.

So the plan wasn't brilliant since it was based on unverified assumtions.

"And this is where the plan starts to suck, because once the objective is known the opposite side should know/knows what to do.
And the only thing to make a plan work that has been revealed is the speedy, "unhindered" advance of the XXXCorps on one road. – that indeed could be termed as stupid."

Unfortunately, the XXX Corps didn't need to be fully unhindered. And given the FACT that the PLAN was made around the basis of surprise then the PLAN isn't at fault. The execution of the plan is what went wrong; personally I would have expected the British command to abandon the plan upon arrival of two SS Panzer Divisions... but then I wasn't around in Sept. '44 so what I say has no meaning in the grand scheme of history.

I wouldn't overstress or try to excuse the unsufficient planing on the paper fact of two SS Divisions. What was there acctual strenght? 1 Brigade?
If realy two full sized SS Divisions had been there the whole Idea, plan and execution would have ended in total disaster for the Allies. So the Germans weren't just "lucky" about having these units at place, but the allies could thank God, that these (ignored) units were not full size Divisions.

"Furthermore just for your info, Marcel probably knows more about this: The defense of Holland in 1940 on the Dutch part and in 1944/45 on the German part was based on "opening"-"blowing up" the Deichs – to flood the whole place if necessary. I don't know why, but luckily for everyone the Germans and the Dutch never did it. Maybe the Germans were too fast in 1940."

He must know more simply because he's Dutch, right?! Well slap my thighs and call me Lolita I must know more about Great Britain's history than every Johnny Foreigner on this planet. Be reasonable, please.

Come on this was not in contra to you, but between my knowledge and that of Marcel. And I was correct in this assumtion, because in contra to Marcel I was indeed not aware about the Dutch having opened the Deichs in 1940.

"As an example: Kursk was brilliant right? Attack on the Flanks and entrap the whole bunch, brilliant, genius plan and well executed by the German Army masterminds and greatest military genius of all times AH. Unfortunately once the PLAN/Idea became visible the other side (Russians) knew what to do. "IF" the Germans had attacked straight away the plan "would" have been a brilliant counterattack and world history would need to be rewritten."

And this is where the PLAN and EXECUTION become two different things. Plus all great military leaders have said or written somewhere or another that luck plays just as much a part in warfare as skill does.

The Attack on Kursk has nothing to do with luck (besides for the Russians) but on the ignorance and stupidity of Hitler and his follower Generals (not all) who agreed to attacked positions that were totally obvious after giving the Russians 2-3month to prepare and fortify. So the Plan became stupid to follow up since the conditions had changed - such as OMG upon being informed about additional German troops and still to believe that the XXXCorps could follow up one one road where only 3rd grade German resistance was expected..

"So OMG was a brilliant idea but poorly planned and poorly executed on behalf of the XXX Corps. Monty had an easy part in this – if it worked it would be his Idea, if the plan fails, well it was just his idea and just the planning of the others was poor."

I almost agree...brilliant idea, brilliant plan, poorly executed. You have to keep in mind that the plan was a use of surprise. Germany had no inkling that the Allies would attempt to force a crossing at Arnhem, it was luck on their part that they decided to rest two SS divisions in that area at the time.

A plan involves the tactical setup and movement of forces and timing (Strategy) defined according to recon-enemy forces assessment and deployable counter strategy of the enemy as such it is obvious that the plan was everything but brilliantly thought over.

Unfortunately, in the end, the operation failed, Montgomery failed but it's not an open view of a man's talents or history to instantly dismiss a failure as stupid.

Monty failed in overviewing and assessing the plan of the planers, he could/should have stopped the plan or altered it accordingly to make it work.

So in your opinion, Stalingrad was brilliant, the Russians were just lucky that the northern Front was held by Rumanians and Italians. Come on Plan-D you know better then that, FM Paulus and Monty were just gamblers, one lost his bet in Stalingrad and the other hit the jackpot in Al Alamein.

Regards
Kruska

Both you, Kruska, and Marcel are disapproving of Market Garden simply because of that "single road". Because the plan ultimately failed then it's easy to say that the armour had nowhere to move. However, the fact of the matter is the terrain of the Ardennes (which is a forest! I think your comment was directed toward the Sedan crossing.) and the area around Mt.Olympius are both considered completely impassable to armour. That means that before 1941 no one believe that tanks could attack through those regions, and had May 1940 been a disaster for Germany then people would still believe that.

Nope, I am also dissaproving about the plan because the drop zones near Arnhem were to far from the bridge, which made ignoring the intelligence an even bigger mistake. The one road (on a dyke) strategy meant that the timing for XXX corps was too optimistic. This in combination with the fact that only a small group reached the bridge (because of the distance) which meant that they couldn't hold it as long as that made the plan faulty. Thus timing was off, intelligence ignored, were is the brilliance in that. The whole plan was made up with their prediction in mind that the German army could not defend themselves anymore. Other possibilities were not concidered, which means in my eyes that it was a faulty plan.

Of course Germany was lucky and the Allies weren't. The whole plan was based on luck, which the Allies lacked.

I believe he meant that I do know more about the reason why it wasn't carried out. It wasn't an attack on you.

"Exactly only the north side was under British control, at the end the Luftwaffe would have done the job if necessary just as they did with the Remagen Bridge."

Remagen bridge was attacked by Me 262s and Ar 234s because they were the only aircraft fast enough to reach the bridge. If the Luftwaffe made the attempt to destroy the bridge with their motley collection of medium bombers in the area (Remagen was '45, there'd be no Ar 234s over Arnhem) then I can comfortably state that they would fail.
Another point to note is that the Remagen bridge fell due to a combination of the bombing and the weight of the U.S army crossing it. The attacks alone did not breach the bridges structure.

"As above stated the southern part would have been attacked, which would have been the sure end for the British airborne. Since nutty Hitler took over personal interest and determination regarding OMG we can be sure that no matter the costs the Bridge would have been destroyed."

If the bridge were destroyed in the fact of XXX Corps, then we can only assume the German units on the south side would be crushed. If this is the case then, yes, the operation would fail but the resulting casaulties inflicted on the 1st Airborne could only be less due to the support provided by them from the southern bank.

"yes, but the German plan never depended on just one road"

I never stated that it did. However, I was making certain that you were aware that German forces attacking the Netherlands were restricted to roadways and had to be quick to come to the aid of their own paratroopers. I was basically keep history straight.

"I do not think that these routs were unpassable, even history has shown us that they could be passed. History has also shown that the one road in Holland eliminated the chance for OMG to succeed. It was you who brought in this example based on the assumtion that it would prove something which it actually does not."

On the contrary it proves my point exactly.

You believe the Ardennes forest and the area around Mt. Olympus to be passable to armour simply because it has been done ("...even history has shown us..."). However, prior to 1940 (Ardennes) and 1941 (Mt.Olympus/Tempe Gorge) the world believed these routes to be either unsuitable or unpassable to armour. Your view of Ardennes, Tempe Gorge and Market Garden are in hindsight.

You continually talk about the "single road" as a definate excuse for Market Garden to fail. However, you fail to note that the battle for Mt.Olympus was made on a single road.

Maj. Gen. von Mellenthin - "The deeply broken ground, covered with thick bush, was quite unsuitable for armor; the tanks were road-bound, and reconnaissance revealed that the road was mined."

*The bold is my own.

"...Balck at once ordered his tanks to push forward - regardless of terrain..."

Talk of the "atrocious cart track that served as a road" continues on but the idea is there. Before the great Balck pushed his armour through the Commonwealth positions at Mt.Olympus and through Tempe Gorge it was considered impassable, or at least only passable via the "single road". Balck advanced using that road, and he used a railway when his forces moved down into Tempe Gorge.

The point is this the "single road" in Holland did not make Market Garden fail; there's a lot more to the failure than that. Market Garden was a gamble and a well planned gamble, but a poorly executed one. The battle of Mt.Olympus shows us that a "single road" does not mean failure; it shows us that imagination and surprise are keys to victory.

The Allies succeeded with imagination but failed with surprise during Market Garden - XXX Corps were slow to get moving, the 82nd did not use shock and awe to capture the bridge quickly, and 1st Airborne were not provided the motorised transport required to reach the north side of the bridge quickly. However, if only one of those variations could have been changed then the chance of success for Market Garden would have been increased greatly.

"So the plan wasn't brilliant since it was based on unverified assumtions."

Given the fact that when the plan was written up the 9th and 10th SS Panzer Divisions were not in the area, then the plan remains brilliant. And may we all be reminded that even with the presence of two, admittedly not full strength, Panzer divisions the plan came close to succeeding.

"I wouldn't overstress or try to excuse the unsufficient planing on the paper fact of two SS Divisions. What was there acctual strenght? 1 Brigade?
If realy two full sized SS Divisions had been there the whole Idea, plan and execution would have ended in total disaster for the Allies. So the Germans weren't just "lucky" about having these units at place, but the allies could thank God, that these (ignored) units were not full size Divisions."

Given the fact that airborne cannot face up to armour, no matter its number, then the strength of the panzer divisions is irrelevant as long as there's tanks there.

And yes, it was lucky for the Germans to have the 9th and 10th there. They had no idea that the Allies were going to mount an offensive in that region. It caught the Germans completely by surprise, and surprise makes victory in most circumstances. If the 9th and 10th were full divisions then they wouldn't have been in Holland, would they? They were there on rest and refit...if they were full then there'd be on the Eastern Front !

"The Attack on Kursk has nothing to do with luck (besides for the Russians) but on the ignorance and stupidity of Hitler and his follower Generals (not all) who agreed to attacked positions that were totally obvious after giving the Russians 2-3month to prepare and fortify. So the Plan became stupid to follow up since the conditions had changed - such as OMG upon being informed about additional German troops and still to believe that the XXXCorps could follow up one one road where only 3rd grade German resistance was expected.."

I didn't say Kursk was luck; however your point is correct that the follow-up or execution of the plan becomes "stupid" if the situation changes and the plan doesn't. However, even with the different situation at Market Garden the plan almost came to succeed. Now, in reality I can't say what would have worked, or what wouldn't have worked...frankly, I would have cancelled the plan with the arrival of the 9th and 10th... but then I would have ordered a stronger push toward the Scheldt after Antwerp - that's a completely different story.

"A plan involves the tactical setup and movement of forces and timing (Strategy) defined according to recon-enemy forces assessment and deployable counter strategy of the enemy as such it is obvious that the plan was everything but brilliantly thought over."

A plan is written up and then changed according to the changes in situation. From Day A when the plan was written to D-Day a lot can change. It's the fault of Monty and his staff for not recognising that the original, quite brilliant plan, must be altered. Even giving the units better air support could have provided victory.

My point is that the original plan was made when the road to Arnhem was not occupied by the 9th and 10th SS Panzer divisions; and I do not disagree that the plan should have been altered or even cancelled in the face of the changing situation ... however, it does not remove the idea that the plan was imaginative and quite brilliant as the idea of surprise (striking in the least expected place) was used by every other nations capable of making mobile war.

if the welsh guards,the armd recon regt of the guards armd div ,using their cromwells and the mechanised grenadier guards,were the spearhead of the g.a.d.of xxx corps,as they normally would in a british armd div,perhaps things would have been different.remember the same welsh guards,did 100 miles in a day.unfortunately imho,the g.a.d.were simply too bloody rigid.they were not trained by hobo either.the 11th armd div could have been there instead.lee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back