Overdue Credit for Famous Photo of B-24 Over Nauru (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FinishForty

Airman
Jun 26, 2011
This photo was published in the July 5, 1943 LIFE magazine, as well as newspapers all over the world. It's been reprinted in books and magazines, including the lead photo for my own article in the current issue of WWII History Magazine, ever since. Today I ran across this statement in a September, 1943 entry in the records of the 26th Bombardment Squadron of the 11th Bomb Group:

"It was T/Sgt Marquette of this squadron who was responsible for that famous Naru (sic) Photograph which appeared in Newspapers and Magazines throughout the country."

No first name listed, but here's an overdue salute to T/Sgt Marquette.

Attachments

• Nauru_Island_under_attack.jpg
    Nauru_Island_under_attack.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 283
Nice shot! Glad to see the photographer finally get some credit, just a shame it was too late for your article.

I agree. I suppose copyright belonged to the US Army Air Corps, but still good to know who got the photo.

I have an original photograph that my father had "April 1943 - "SAD SACK" over Naru Island. Photo by Don. L. Marquette. Taken from left waist gun door of "VALHALLA II, AC #168." Crew were Tinker, Wallingford, Rubel, Lewis, Bahr, Barber, Marquette, Mason, Andrewqueski. 11th Bomb Group, 26th Squadron. My father was an avid photographer and I have many pictures he took as well as many others took of every plane he flew in during WWII. I would like to share his photos.

So post them here in the thread or ,what would be better , in your own separate one, please. But you have to be warned that trading here isn't allowed in any way.

Last edited:
Yes please post them! We do have a section called "Aviation Pictures" that you coud start a thread in!

On the back of the original photo that I have reads "PUBLICATION AUTHORIZED BY ASST> CHIEF OF STAFF A-2 HQ> SEVENTH AIR FORCE."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back