I have a pretty good database of victories by type for US aircraft, but have yet to find any reliable numbers for the Axis or even our allies. I got the Navy and Marine totals from a 1946 US Navy OpNav study and the USAAF numbers from several sources including Francis Dean. The Navy and the USAAF don't keep the same stats!
EVERYONE seems to know a different number for victories in the Battle of Britain, but NOBODY seems to have the complete numbers for the UK for the entire war. The data must be out there somewhere, but finding seems to be the trick.
I DO have a very good database of Axis (and Allied) claims by Aces (5 or more victories), but none for victories actually awarded, other than for the USA. For instance, I have a great breakdown for the top three to five guys, so the data MUST exist, but it sort of disappears for aces somewhat farther down the list, even for ones with 150+ victories. My listing for Erich Hartmann shows 352, so I figure it must be claims.
In the British list, the top scorer's victories include a lot of kills over V-1's.
In almost everyone else's book, a "victory" is one that is over an airborne, manned aircraft that is normally expected to be armed when flying. So ... technically, the V-1's don't count as victories since it wasn't manned. Also, you wouldn't expect, say, a Fieseler Storch to be armed, so a victory over one of those might technically not be counted either.
The "rules" get rather "interesting," depending on whose rules you look at, and I have noticed that nobody seems to agree on "the rules."
It is one thing to keep track of ground kills, and quite another to include them in a list of "victories" since they obviously weren't airborne when destroyed. Also, many people say that if you shoot down a plane, and it actually GOES down, but they later recover it, it doesn't count as a victory.
I say poppycock to that. If you shoot it out of the sky, it damned for sure SHOULD count. Otherwise the word victory becomes meaninglessly technical and nobody will EVER agree on ANYTHING.
So, if we DO want to start this, I can offer a good start for part of it, but maybe we should discuss the "rules" first in a dedicated "rules for aerial victories" thread. Even if we come up with a good set of rules ... the original data is VERY hard to find and vetting the list could be a labor of many years by a LOT of people ... and we might not ever FIND enough data for confirmation for the vast majority of pilots.
You can't even get 3 or 4 Americans to agree on how many Pappy Boyington shot down! Friends of Joe Foss claim he got 21 or 22 or less because they want their guy to be number one, but the US Navy / Marines still say 28. Some say 26, and others say less. And THIS is a case that is officially recognized as 28!
Still, it is an interesting thought.