P-40 in the Aleutians, Alaska

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tac-67

Airman
Apr 13, 2006
Just sharing a photo I recently added to my modest collection. Notice the cover over the chin scoop. Sorry about the size. How do I adjust that anyways? Enjoy!

Attachments

• P-40 Aleutians Noseart.jpg
    P-40 Aleutians Noseart.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Thats an interesting pic !. I've attached a pic I took at Flying Legends back in 2007 of a P40 with an Aleutian colour scheme for comparison that raises a few questions from me that may not all be attributable to differences in the marks....

Interesting to note on the old picture....
Is that a complete 'leather ?' shroud over the exhaust stubs (looks like a small grab string at each end to pull out the stub 'caps ?.

Lack of 'cooling ?' panel immediately behind the prop spinner (on the modern pic, the panel has 5 x rows of 3 holes).

No external gunsight ring and bead on the old pic.

Routing of brake pipes compared to the modern pic

What is the 'hole' in the wing root (gun camera ?) that is not on the modern pic (unless its at the front of the undercarriage leg fairing ?)

Extruding gun barrels on the modern pic...Was this due to different guns originaly installed or just to make it look good for airshow fans :lol:

Slight variations on the Tigers head.

No apparent undercarriage down 'warning 'rod' showing on top of the wing (painted yellow in the modern pic.)

Is that a hole for firing flares through (about midway between the front of the main windshield side screen and the wing) thats not on the modern pic

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 509
To answer you questions re the differences.

Lack of 'cooling ?' panel immediately behind the prop spinner (on the modern pic, the panel has 5 x rows of 3 holes).
The Modern pic is of a P-40N, the wartime pic is of a P-40E, The 15 holes are for the carburator air filter on the N model

No external gunsight ring and bead on the old pic.
Often removed as surplus to requirements.

Routing of brake pipes compared to the modern pic

more than likely a personal choice by the owners.They could and were routed in all sorts of ways dependant on the length of the hoses and where you mount the "p" clips..

What is the 'hole' in the wing root (gun camera ?) that is not on the modern pic (unless its at the front of the undercarriage leg fairing ?)

Air duct for cockpit air vent.

Extruding gun barrels on the modern pic...Was this due to different guns originaly installed or just to make it look good for airshow fans
It looks like the wartime aircraft does not have its guns fitted. the modern pic seems to be the standard .50 cal fit.

No apparent undercarriage down 'warning 'rod' showing on top of the wing (painted yellow in the modern pic.)
Not fitted on the P-40E.

Is that a hole for firing flares through (about midway between the front of the main windshield side screen and the wing) thats not on the modern pic
it is a blue formation light. deleted on later models

Hope this clears things up for you.

the first photo and the Life magazine page the P-40's are from the 11th Fighter Squadron which was one of the squadrons of the 343rd Composite/Fighter Group, Gen Chennault's Son was a member of this squadron and if I recall he had a hand in the "Tiger" face cowling designs in Honor of his Dad's unit. I was also the "Unofficial" Squadrons emblem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back