P-40 vs. Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice post hop, good info.

I'd agree Operation Sealion would not have been a success as the Germans did not have enough landing craft and would not have had complete control over the seas with the RN surely sinking a lot of the invasion fleet. Bombing alone may have had an impact on the moral but I think that it would have taken some time before bombing unhindered would of forced Britain out of the war. I also think that if the RAF did not engage for a period of time they could marginally improve their strength and re-equip and maybe have started another assault on the LW Bombers?

Being a Brit I'd better support the hurricane.

The huricane was designed earlier than the P-40 but compares about the smae so I would go for the hurricane because it was more advanced at the time compared to the P-40 when it was designed. The hurricane certainly played a major role in the BoB against advanced, modern planes.

Hurricanes were replaced only the once in RAF squadrons by P-40s. This just shows that although a later design, the P-40 was not better.

A little late commenting on this but here we go. Sorry I completely disagree with you. The British may have been close to being beaten but they would not give up. The British have never given up and they would not have int he BoB. They would have fought to the end and if worse were to happen they already had plan in place to move the government to Canada and evacuate as much of the military as possible. The British would not have given up.

and annother point about that post (late i know but i aint been on for a few days) it was actually a missdrop by the LW in which they actually bombed london that caused bomber command to very intentionally bomb Berlin the next night, however the germans didn't know that london had been bombed the night before and they saw this as unprovoked and so started an all out campain on british cities.......

A little late ?

Anyway, in light of Bungay's research, I'll have to agree with you.

However "If" the RAF was defeated, then the British would infact have given up shortly after, or face annihilation. However according to Bungay's work, the RAF wasn't really ever that close to defeat as some Historians like to depict it.

Given up! if the RAF had gone the Royal Navy would've loved nothing more than to show why they were the biggest and best navy in the world at the time by destroying the invasion force during the crossing! yes they would've taken heavy losses from aircraft, but that would've mattered if we stopped the invasion, ok, so, if we hadn't stopped the invasion, every single person within 50 miles of the coast that could hold and fire a gun would have gone to the coast and literally waited for the germans, even if they weren't trained soldiers, we rather like not being invaded, given we haven't been for nearly 1000 years, ok, so if the germans did get a bridgehead, knowing us we still wouldn't give up, we'd only try to beat them back again and again.........

Very true lanc, very true.

the only real chance they had of making us surrender wasn't to invade but to surround, to cut off all our supplies coming in and starve us out........

Users who are viewing this thread