P-40s at Chino (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sometime back, Mike Offutt posted some shots he had taken at the Chino airshow over on another forum. Mike was kind enough to send me a buncha shots of the P-40s that were at the show and gave me the nod to put them on my P-40 site.

Here's one of them...

DSCN0799a.jpg

This particular P-40 was owned by a fella here in Western New York and I was able to get quite familiar with the aircraft over the course of ten years or so. Unfortunately, it suffered an engine failure, was bellied in and extensively damaged. Subsequently it was sold and is now flying again. She is currently owned by Tony Banta.

The rest of Mike's P-40 photos can be seen here...

Curtiss P-40s at the 2005 Planes of Fame Airshow

Fade to Black...

I admire the bravery of the Flying tigers.with the p40s they changed combat into a choas for the japanese! I wish i could meet a flying tiger pilot! But the sad thing is that a lot of people dont even know whose these brave men are!! And that gets me MAD! I mean these men were fighting the japs before america got into the war! They were heroes to the Chinese Civilions! An then alot of them stayed in the war once america got invoveled! These men were true heroes and god bless them all! :D

The rest of Mike's P-40 photos can be seen here...

Curtiss P-40s at the 2005 Planes of Fame Airshow

Go back to his post and locate what I have highlighted in bold, and click that. Its a link 8)

Have any of you guys seen the movie made about the Flying Tigers? Ive heard its a great movie!

Attachments

• gunner1_edited__2__202.jpg
    gunner1_edited__2__202.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,015
Again, those are some awesome photos!!! John Wayne is in the Flying

Tigers movie? WOW! That is a movie i have to see!!!! :p John Wayne

was a awesome, patriotic actor that did some great WWII fliks! :)

Attachments

• gunner1_edited__2__474.jpg
    gunner1_edited__2__474.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,005
P38 Pilot said:
I admire the bravery of the Flying tigers.with the p40s they changed combat into a choas for the japanese! I wish i could meet a flying tiger pilot! But the sad thing is that a lot of people dont even know whose these brave men are!! And that gets me MAD! I mean these men were fighting the japs before america got into the war! They were heroes to the Chinese Civilions! An then alot of them stayed in the war once america got invoveled! These men were true heroes and god bless them all! :D

For the record, the AVG didn't get into combat until two weeks AFTER the Pearl Harbor attack.

I can count two former Flying Tigers as friends, Dick Rossi and Chuck Baisden. Not long ago, another friend, Erik Shilling, passed away. I have a lot of material from these gents on my website at http://www.aerial-combat.com

My regards,

NAVAIR

Here is a never before seen pix taken from the ground of a P40 shooting down a Zero fighter.

Well, actually, it was P40 vs Zero at the 2004 Chino airshow..... hehehhehehehe

Attachments

• p40_shoots_down_zero_201.jpg
    p40_shoots_down_zero_201.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 870
just going back to the film the flying tigers.looking at several angles of the p-40s while flying a few look like they were spitfires in australian markings.

I remember one clip that was definately spitfires but it was too dark to see the markings. I think it was in the part where they were on night patrol.

i,m glad i,m not the only one who noticed that scene jcs.i thought i might possibly be losing my marbles :D

One thing that bugged me in that is that you could see there were different versions when they showed the planes on the ground than when they showed them taking off. There were a lot of liberties taken with the aircraft in that film.

Yea, but when you compare it to some other war movies of the time its not actually that bad. I mean some of them are just confusing, one second youre seeing SBDs diving down to attack a jap carrier and the next second you see a guncam clip of a zero bursting into flames. :lol:

Yea, but when you compare it to some other war movies of the time its not actually that bad. I mean some of them are just confusing, one second youre seeing SBDs diving down to attack a jap carrier and the next second you see a guncam clip of a zero bursting into flames.

No joke, there was a 50's ETO movie about p-47s over france. me-109s were just nazi-fied mustangs. That's not quite as bad as a zero trying to pass for a dauntless, seeing as there were stories of confusion with p-51s and -109s. On a cloudy day a p-51 pilot got a bit turned around and flew into formation- and noticed his fellow wingmen had oddly painted p-51s! I imagine thats a perfectly acceptable time to crap one's pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back