P-47 strafing run on column of P.O.W.s

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by T Bolt, Apr 26, 2010.

1. T Bolt

T Bolt Well-Known Member

Bridge & Highway Construction Inspector
    Does anyone have information on two P-47s that inadvertently made a strafing run on a column of P.O.Ws in Germany sometime after Feb 45’?

My father was one of the P.O.W.s and it was one of his favorite war stories to recall. He was shuffled around to various camps in those last few months of the war and this incident happened during one of the moves. The only place I recall from his stories is Mooseberg (spelling could be incorrect) when I know he spent some time but may not be connected. I know there were some casualties before the pilots realized the column was made up of P.O.W.s and made another pass wagging their wings. I have always wanted to know more about this incident and thought if anyone had any info I might be able to use the unit markings in a build.

2. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
  3. T Bolt

T Bolt Well-Known Member

Bridge & Highway Construction Inspector
    Thanks. I looked it over and that could be a possibility, it sounds like that was a very busy day.

I wish I had more information but my dad died almost 10 years ago and all I have to go off of is my memory of his stories and a few documents. All the documents tell me is that his B-24 was shot down on a mission to Vienna on Feb 21st 1945 and he was he had been liberated by May 5th. My recollection of his story was that he was moved around quite a bit from camp to camp and on one of these marches a pair of P-47s came down and made one strafing pass on the column before they realized the column was made up of P.O.W.s and came down again, this time wagging their wings. My father said it was the fastest he ever ran in his life. I remember him saying that he ran through a ditch full of water and ended up soaked except for his feet because he pulled them up before the water had a chance to close around them. He had a very high opinion of the destructive power of the eight fifties the thunderbolts carried. Some of the P.O.W.s were killed in the attack but none in his emaciate group. I am positive of the aircraft type as dad spent a couple of years in Texas as a gunnery instructor before volunteering for combat duty, and until he died had the best eyesight(long distant) of anyone I knew and could tell me the aircraft type when we were watching old war movies when it looked like nothing more to a dot to me.