P-80 v Me 262 v Gloster Meteor....

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Lucky13, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    Can't remember seeing this.. Which would come out on top in a fighter v fighter test?

2. Konigstiger205

student
    I know the Me262 was excellent against bombers, but how would it fair agains other jet fighters? That is a very good question. The thing is, that the Me262 did saw combat action in the war, although it was plagued by a lack of trained pilots, fuel and reliability issues. I know that the Meteor and the P-80, did not saw action in WW2, of course I may be wrong here. But in a fight during WW2, I would put my money on the Me262 :).

3. Watanbe

Watanbe Member

Student, Casual
    I'm sure had the Germans not been in such a desperate situation they would have been able to iron out the faults like the British and US did. They didn't have to rush the P80 and Meteor as much.

4. wheelsup_cavu

wheelsup_cavu Well-Known Member

CNC Machinist/Programmer
    Home Page:
    Great topic Lucky.
    I am going to be watching this thread for answers too.

Wheels

5. Milosh

Milosh Well-Known Member

A post war American test had the Me262 slightly superior to the P-80.

6. davebender

davebender Well-Known Member

P-80 Shooting Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are we freezing aircraft development as of early May 1945? If so we need to pull out all the stops just to get a handful of early model P-80As into combat before the end of the war.

7. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    2 flew combat air patrols out of Italy, but the P-80 did not see combat in WW2.

8. davebender

Good enough for the purposes of this discussion. Let's have these early model P-80s bump heads with a Rotte of Me-262s.

9. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    They did not however...

As others pointed out, I believe that post war flight tests showed that the Me 262 was slightly superior to the P-80.

10. davebender

The mysterious and secret YP-80 Shooting Star at Foggia during WW2
    --- Late April 1945. Somewhere over Italy.
    Maj LaClare and his wingman flew into a strange looking cloud. They are unaware the cloud is actually a small wormhole. We are all Star Trek fans, right? :)

----- A few seconds later. Somewhere over Central Germany.
    Maj LaClare and his wingman fly out of the cloud. The terrain below appears to have changed. The wormhole has spit them out over Central Germany. However they don't have time to consider the issue. A pair of JV-44 Me-262s are closing from head on and at a similiiar altitude.

11. Nikademus

Nikademus Member

Drone
    I asked a similar question in this thread a month or so back

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/usaaf-eval-me-262-a-20946.html

Interesting replies. The P-80 on paper appears superior (though i noted that in some past arguments, people tend to quote the later refined P-80C!), yet USAAF test reports indicated the 262 was slightly better in actual flight.

12. renrich

renrich Active Member

real estate
    Wasn't the Meteor used in WW2 to shoot down V1s? It would have interesting if the ME262 had met Meteors. I suppose that neither of them had the range to get into proximity to one another.

13. Erich

Erich the old Sage
    Staff Member Moderator

we covered this at least two years ago until it got way off topic and totally what-if ............sorry Lucky but I find these types of comparisons and what-if's tedious, this as the other comparisons to prove point will be covered with graphics, graphs, bogus internet information and so on from books

dam() whatever every happened to my jet vs piston engine killer thread of moons ago......... ! I shoudl go ahead and add to that when time permits.

the 262 was already a proven machine lacking, the Metoero and P-80 is a would of, could of

ok sorry for the hi-jack Jan.

14. fastmongrel

fastmongrel Well-Known Member

Motor Mechanic
    The victor would be the guy with the advantage of surprise and the altitude just like probably 90% of air combat victories

15. Soren

Soren Banned

#15 Soren, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    The Me-262 takes the prize, no doubt about it. It had problems with its' engines in the beginning, but these issues were being gradually solved. And by wars end the improved Jumo 004C engine was ready for use in German a/c, and this engine had a 20% higher thrust output than the B series, while fuel consumption was improved considerably as-well, greatly increasing both the performance and range of the Me262. Had the Jumo 004C been ready for production in mid 44 I fear what would've happened in Europe, the war might very well have taken a very different turn.

The best answer the Allies had for the Me262 was the DeHavilland Vampire, but it also arrived too late.

16. piet

piet Member

The Meteor's first 'kill', against the V1 was scored by Flying Officer 'Dixie' Dean, on 4 August, 1944. As his cannons had jammed, Dean manoeuvred his aircraft under the wing of the flying bomb to throw it off guidance and into the ground. Minutes later another Meteor pilot, Flying Officer J Roger, used his cannons to shoot down another flying bomb. Between then and the end of August, when flying bomb attacks ceased, Meteor pilots recorded a total of 13 'kills'. Although this was insignificant compared to the thousands of flying bomb strikes, a useful propaganda purpose was served.

17. Messy1

Messy1 Well-Known Member

Sales for Karl Performance
    Home Page:
    Pretty much sums it up IMO.

18. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    That's alright Erich, no worries mate! :thumbright: I don't visit these threads too often as I don't have that much of a technical expertise that many here have, but instead come up with questions like these...:oops:
    I do enjoy reading them though, as I learn a h*ll of a lot from them! :thumbright:

19. stuka1940

stuka1940 New Member

manager
    My best guess for the best jet fighter that saw service in WW2 would have been the HE162 had the German more time to develope it. But in light of the fact they didn't have the time. than the ME262 gets my vote.

20. red admiral

red admiral Member

The Meteor F.III with lengthened nacelles is a fair match for the wartime Me 262s. The F.4 (prototype flying before the end of the war) with Derwent V engines comfortably exceeds the wartime Me 262's performance and is pretty similar to projected developments with the 004E engine.

Numbers are going to be pretty small on each side though. Far more likely for the Me 262+ to be destroyed on the ground by P-51Hs or Tempest IIs.

Would the outcome of the war have changed with the Me 262 somehow getting a magically improved engine earlier? No, the extra performance is redundant for the duties been undertaken. Vulnerable take-off/landing characteristics and massive inferiority in numbers don't go away. Being able to fly at 580mph instead of 530mph makes little difference to losses when engaging bombers. I'm not quite sure how they're supposed to stop the advancing Russian army either.